What is it about THE bikini?

Options

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing bikinis since I was little. It just feels natural. I tried shopping for a one piece once, but I didn't think they were as flattering on my weird body.

To each their own though. I have seen some gorgeous women in one pieces who rock it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's really too bad women try to shame each other over our own personal hangups. You don't feel comfortable or that it's necessary to wear a bikini? Fine. Don't. But don't tell me I can't do it either just because you don't like it.

:smile:

This totally!
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Ok just a friendly debate here.....right?
    but are u really saying if it is hot and u want to take a dip in the pool it matters if u wear a 2 piece, or 1 piece
    As if that one little piece of material makes a difference in the heat?

and just to add.... I dont care what anyone else wears..I really dont
    I have just noticed in real life on on this site...the big talk and HYPE about fitting into, or wearing a bikini in public....
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If my junk was big I would wear a speedo all the time :smile: hahaha but im confident in my body so I will wear swimming trunks instead
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    but are u really saying if it is hot and u want to take a dip in the pool it matters if u wear a 2 piece, or 1 piece

I have just noticed in real life on on this site...the big talk and HYPE about fitting into, or wearing a bikini in public....
    Hi Kim,

I'm still confused by this, and would really appreciate some clarification.

Which bikini are you referring to ("THE bikini")?

Are you referring to a particular style of bikini, or one specific bikini.

Thank you in advance!

Gas
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Because looking good clothed was my first challenge, now it is to look good naked, and a bikini is as close to naked as i can get in public.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

It is to me. I'm not comfortable showing my body, because I still find it gross to look at. It's my issue, not anyone else's. To be brave enough to wear a two-piece would be a big personal deal for me no matter what size I am. For a lot of women who were obese or extremely overweight who are no longer that big, it's a difficult task to be brave and confident with our bodies.

That's how I see it at least.

And yes, this is a friendly debate. No hard feelings at all from me. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I look like hell in most one piece suits. I'm short waisted and have small boobs. A bikini gives the illusion of a longer torso, and I have a separate upper, middle and lower body, instead of looking like a lumpy throw pillow with arms and legs sticking out.

Plus, in the summer, I'm all about the air flow. I don't want any more fabric touching my body, before, during or after I get out of the pool, than absolutely necessary.
  • kimber0607
    Options

It is to me. I'm not comfortable showing my body, because I still find it gross to look at. It's my issue, not anyone else's. To be brave enough to wear a two-piece would be a big personal deal for me no matter what size I am. For a lot of women who were obese or extremely overweight who are no longer that big, it's a difficult task to be brave and confident with our bodies.

That's how I see it at least.

same here
    thanks for the insight
    :flowerforyou:

And yes, this is a friendly debate. No hard feelings at all from me. :smile:
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's really too bad women try to shame each other over our own personal hangups. You don't feel comfortable or that it's necessary to wear a bikini? Fine. Don't. But don't tell me I can't do it either just because you don't like it.

I don't think anyone said that. Wear what you want.
  • kimber0607
    Options
    I look like hell in most one piece suits. I'm short waisted and have small boobs. A bikini gives the illusion of a longer torso, and I have a separate upper, middle and lower body, instead of looking like a lumpy throw pillow with arms and legs sticking out.

Plus, in the summer, I'm all about the air flow. I don't want any more fabric touching my body, before, during or after I get out of the pool, than absolutely necessary.

Got it and u look awesome
    :flowerforyou:
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    I've talked to guys that said some of the cut out one pieces are sexier than a bikini. I just like how i look in a bikini better :) I think it depends on the guy/person/whatever! :)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Bikini > One Piece

Actually, Waterpolo Suit > Bikini > One Piece

It's got like.. a zipper up the back and shows no skin on the torso. and gives love mesh tans/tramp stamps

You are bringing back memories of University where I wore those non grip speedos.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP. I will always wear a one piece, I don't care how skinny I get. For me it's a matter of modesty. Wearing a bikini is basically just like wearing a bra and underwear in public. No thank you. Not the kind of attention I want to get. However, if others want to wear a bikini that's none of my business...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

It sure sounds to me like you DO care about what other people wear....
    I get that confidence is sexy
    BUT, I guess, and maybe I am too picky but I think the majority of people that wear a bikini SHOULD NOT
    Ok I said it
    :indifferent: :glasses:

Personally, I don't consider the bikini to be the end-all-be-all of my fitness goals, but that may be due to the fact that I wear two-piece suits regardless of my size.

We can definitely keep the debate friendly, but I thought it might be important to point out that declaring a certain type of people shouldn't wear a particular item of clothing because you have deemed it something inappropriate isn't very friendly.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

That's because this is a health/fitness site. As for real life, I think it shows that more people are becoming health-conscious and that's not a bad thing.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other what kind of swimsuit anyone wears to the pool or beach. I just know that I've worked damn hard to get where I'm at physically and am proud to show it off. If anyone wants to read more into that, go right ahead. :wink:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It kind of feels like this thread went from why is wearing a bikini someone's goal (like a fitness or weight loss goal) vs why would someone wear a one piece vs two piece to go swimming.

Or maybe I misread OP...
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest goal for a lot of women is to look good naked. A bikini is as close as you can get to that IN PUBLIC, so I'm sure that's why a lot of women make that their goal.

I know I don't want to look good in clothes, I want to look good naked. And if I want to show off that I DO look good naked, a bikini gets me there without having to run around flashing people!

:happy:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing bikinis since I was little. It just feels natural. I tried shopping for a one piece once, but I didn't think they were as flattering on my weird body.

To each their own though. I have seen some gorgeous women in one pieces who rock it.

Ditto, I have really long legs and an insanely short torso (like it's seriously not normal) and a one piece makes my torso look even more short and squatty. The bikini really helps elongate my torso so I look more proportionate.

Also, on that note, my boss is tall and slim and had me exchange a swimsuit she bought, it was a one-shoulder one piece and it was SUPER cute, I'd rock something like that if it looked good on me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Bikini = more naked. Naked = good.