What is it about THE bikini?

Options

Replies

• beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

When I am at my fittest I still never wore a bikini because I have stretch marks and imo they don't look good. On anyone. Ever.

Completely disagree!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but many I see that feel like they FINALLY MADE IT into THE bikini should not have.
    Again, which bikini is everyone referring to when they say "THE bikini"? A particular style of bikini, or is there one specific bikini out there that you're referring to? I need to get to the bottom of this!

I'm not sure if you are serious.... but I'll answer your question. They are talking about any bikini. As in, people's goal to fit into/look good in a bikini.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it, but many I see that feel like they FINALLY MADE IT into THE bikini should not have.
    Again, which bikini is everyone referring to when they say "THE bikini"? A particular style of bikini, or is there one specific bikini out there that you're referring to? I need to get to the bottom of this!
    I'm not sure if you are serious.... but I'll answer your question. They are talking about any bikini. As in, people's goal to fit into/look good in a bikini.
    Then, why the ALL CAPS emphasis on the word "THE"? Help me out here...
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I never wore a bikini when I was younger and thin. Then again...I went to the beach and or pool to swim and be very active and a bikini wasn't the type of swimsuit for me. Even when I get back to my smallest, I may buy a two piece but it won't be the string bikini things that many wear today. Just not my preference.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a long torso and am thin - small one pieces have always rode up places they shouldn't; large one pieces fit too loose and don't help hold my ladies up. :wink:

I always rock a two piece. I love them!
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    A bikini is basically a socially acceptable way to wear nothing but (matching) undies in public lol
    ...& I'm all for that- especially when it involves hot weather, beaches & a body I've worked *SO* hard to get!
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, would yall consider this a bikini? one-piece? monokini? And, sexy or not sexy?

1291152_fpx.tif?wid=325&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg
    [/quote]

I'd call that a ONE piece and not so sexy.

And who cares what ya wear to the beach/pool? If you feel comfortable in it wear it! My personal preference is a bikini, therefore I try to stay fit so I can wear one and feel comfortable in it.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options

When I am at my fittest I still never wore a bikini because I have stretch marks and imo they don't look good. On anyone. Ever.

Then, only a few people can wear bikinis since most people have stretch marks somewhere on their bodies. Most teen girls get a few on their hips and butts, so I guess they should be covered in shorts. Men that workout and get a few on their arms, better wear shirts, and for you moms....if your tummy does not look like a perfect teenage girl tummy, then cover that thing UP!! You might make others vomit!!!

I say, if you feel comfortable in a bikini, who cares what others think! There are going to be people that think I look too thin, while others think I look too fat. I do not wear bikinis to impress other men, I do it because I like to wear a bikini and tan at the beach and at the pool. And if others do not like my stretch marks from carrying six kids, then they can turn their head and look away!
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Then, only a few people can wear bikinis since most people have stretch marks somewhere on their bodies. Most teen girls get a few on their hips and butts, so I guess they should be covered in shorts. Men that workout and get a few on their arms, better wear shirts, and for you moms....if your tummy does not look like a perfect teenage girl tummy, then cover that thing UP!! You might make others vomit!!!

I say, if you feel comfortable in a bikini, who cares what others think! There are going to be people that think I look too thin, while others think I look too fat. I do not wear bikinis to impress other men, I do it because I like to wear a bikini and tan at the beach and at the pool. And if others do not like my stretch marks from carrying six kids, then they can turn their head and look away!

I love you.
  • emirror
    Options
    Out of curiosity, would yall consider this a bikini? one-piece? monokini? And, sexy or not sexy?

1291152_fpx.tif?wid=325&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

I'd call it a one piece, and I think it's sexy. It'll give cool tan lines!

Here is what I wear, except mine is red...
    shape-fx-swimdress-black-plus-size.jpg
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bikini= smallest amount of material posssible and still not defined as naked

most peoples REAL goal in losing weight is to look good naked!
    since you cant just go walking around naked everywhere(well you could but.. its not socially acceptable tehe), so wearing a bikini and looking good in it is just another way of saying "hey i want to look good naked/ be the thin girl at the beach"

i think what you are saying is that a bikini shouldnt be the ultimate goal, and i agree with you. once i reach my goal weight i will look good in almost anything i wear, a one piece included. that being said i will probably be proud of my hard work thus CHOOSING to wear bikini. does that make sense?
  • emirror
    Options

Maybe to give emphasis as a shrine-like goal? As in THE boss, or THE man to be, etc?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

AMEN SISTER.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options

This.
    <3

I have stretch marks here and there.. some from being a growing, athletic teen & some from weight I put on in college- but they've all faded and I'm going to rock my tiger stripes one way or another; In 2013 I'll be in Hawaii for 2-3 weeks and I know I won't care since they will be minimized by a toned body! ^_^
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate why a woman would want to rock a bikini. I personally never would only because of all the massive ugly stretch marks all over my body. So unless I can get a skin transplant, I will have to decline. But to those who can rock it - more power to ya!!! :drinker:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    bikini= smallest amount of material posssible and still not defined as naked

most peoples REAL goal in losing weight is to look good naked!
    since you cant just go walking around naked everywhere(well you could but.. its not socially acceptable tehe), so wearing a bikini and looking good in it is just another way of saying "hey i want to look good naked/ be the thin girl at the beach"

i think what you are saying is that a bikini shouldnt be the ultimate goal, and i agree with you. once i reach my goal weight i will look good in almost anything i wear, a one piece included. that being said i will probably be proud of my hard work thus CHOOSING to wear bikini. does that make sense?

not mine. I'm not walking around naked anywhere.... My goal has nothing to do with a bikini, other than wearing it on stage to compete in. I made lifestyle changes to better myself, that I can live with and am happy about for a change. I'm no longer Skeletor or too thin. Now I'm healthy, strong and proud.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree who with everything you said..... !
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ok I just want to point something out.

I think people should be a little careful about correlating confidence/sexy with a swimsuit. I know its an opinion thing, and I respect mostly everyone's opinions (besides there is no logic behind this, its all about how one feels), but it really gripes me when I see men correlate the two together. A swimsuit and fitting into one is NOT always a sign of confidence and it doesnt ALWAYS correlate to sexy.

ANYWAY, there are a million one piece swimsuits out there that are insanely hot. Go look at AmericanApparels one piece swimsuits. I've noticed in most stores one pieces are actually pretty popular right now. Just saying.

I just think its a symbol of being really lean/fit/thin/healthy or whatever. Most people want to "look good naked' and a bikini is sort of the next best thing. As someone else said, there is nothing to hide and no excuses. In a way I guess its just the "ultimate goal" for some people.

YES! I tried to say the same thing and pretty much failed! LOL
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Maybe to give emphasis as a shrine-like goal? As in THE boss, or THE man to be, etc?
    Hmm... I would use the emphasized "the" to identify one particular item among many similar items, as in your example: one boss among many, one man among many. Here, I interpreted it as referring to one particular bikini among many.

If the emphasis was meant to be on the bikini, among many swimming suit types, I would have gone with "the BIKINI".
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I would use the emphasized "the" to identify one particular item among many similar items, as in your example: one boss among many, one man among many. Here, I interpreted it as referring to one particular bikini among many.

If the emphasis was meant to be on the bikini, among many swimming suit types, I would have gone with "the BIKINI".

ok great...can we move on now?
    :yawn: