Are muscled/defined women attractive?

Options
So, a few weeks ago I was hosting a party and was talking amongst a bunch of people (both men and women, mid twenties). I was flipping through facebook and noticed one of the girls that I used to play volleyball with. She has amazing abs (like a true 6 pack), nice breasts, and an overall amazing body in my opinion. When I showed the picture to my friends, the reaction I got was surprising. Everyone thought that she was "too muscled" to have a sexually attractive body. What really astonished me was that the guys in the group found her abs revolting, and said that a flat stomach is nice, but that they would prefer a little pudge to defined abs.

So my question is, what do you think? Are defined women too masculine to be considered "sexy" in the societal normative way? Why or why not?

Replies

• 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    beauty is always in the eye of the holder, as the saying goes. I personally love women who are ripped but not body builder big. But it really doesn't matter. Its what image the person in question is comfortable projecting. everyone needs to be comfortable in their own skin. don't make changes for anyone but yourself. just my opinion...
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A low body fat percent is required to see muscle on a body. Women with too little fat were less likely to be able to safely give birth, so people/our cultures evolved to find more body fat on women to be more attractive.

That being said, the year is currently 2012 Common Era, and there is now vast variation from person to person in what can be considered attractive. Chances are if you have any given body type, there will be people who find it attractive. Personally, this fact gives me comfort, as I know what I want to look like, and this is all the more reason not to care if everyone I meet thinks I'm attractive. It's pretty much a given for everybody: some will, some won't.
  • nrdoty
    nrdoty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a preference thing. For me a single vertical line on the abs, or even all three can be very sexy. If you start to see horizontal breaks in the abdominals, that's when I start to find it less attractive. I have no idea at what body fat% that a full 6-pack is usually visible on a woman; but I would imagine that probably does get into a lower-than-recommended range.

That said, kudos to any women that just want's to get ripped. Chances are you will be more attractive overall than the women who don't take care of their bodies.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't find super ripped women very attractive... I like them to look flat, yet soft... still with a little something to poke at. I like them to LOOK "skinny fat", but still be very strong lol
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i think its HOT, the determination, sweat, tears, effort, accountability, self discipline, its all hot!!!! i admire the women at the gym who look like beef cakes.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Women should stop caring what others think of their bodies and worry about being fit and healthy and living their best life possible. I can appreciate wanting to be attractive, but the truth is that it doesn't matter if you're lean and fit, have abs, have flab, have rolls. Someone is going to find you attractive, and someone is going to find you unattractive. Be who you want to be. Let the rest of the world judge as they see fit.

FWIW, I think women who are fit are incredibly admirable and beautiful from the inside out. Same goes for women who make their health and fitness a priority in life even if they aren't ripped.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Women should stop caring what others think of their bodies and worry about being fit and healthy and living their best life possible. I can appreciate wanting to be attractive, but the truth is that it doesn't matter if your lean and fit, have abs, have flab, have rolls. Someone is going to find you attractive, and someone is going to find you unattractive. Be who you want to be. Let the rest of the world judge as they see fit.

FWIW, I think women who are fit are incredibly admirable and beautiful from the inside out. Same goes for women who make their health and fitness a priority in life even if they aren't ripped.

^^this, this and double this.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think it is amazing. Society? Who knows. Our society has some really warped ways of thinking..
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    If the chick looks like she may give me some go in a fight, the answer is no.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Healthy is the main thing. Personally, I like a bit of definition but not too much.. Sure abs are great. Would love to see 'em so long as they are not like some Greek statue. Balance in all things.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Women should stop caring what others think of their bodies and worry about being fit and healthy and living their best life possible. I can appreciate wanting to be attractive, but the truth is that it doesn't matter if you're lean and fit, have abs, have flab, have rolls. Someone is going to find you attractive, and someone is going to find you unattractive. Be who you want to be. Let the rest of the world judge as they see fit.

Yeah, but WAY MORE people will find you attractive if you don't have rolls. Just sayin.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Yeah, but WAY MORE people will find you attractive if you don't have rolls. Just sayin.

And what is your point? Why do women care so damn much what other people think? Is this a popularity contest or life?

My point is that if you're healthy and working to improve your life, why do we care so much what we look like? Somebody is going to find that attractive. Others won't. You'll never be happy if all you want in life is for everyone to find you attractive. Never going to happen.
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    In my opinion yes. I respect the dedication and work it takes. And lovely to look at also.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Lean, with some definition: yeah sure!!
    Heavily muscled and bodybuilder looking: no!!
    It's each to their own though- and a well defined and muscular chick is always going to look better than a fat and overweight person!!
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

And what is your point? Why do women care so damn much what other people think? Is this a popularity contest or life?

I think that it is naive to say that you shouldn't care about what other people think. People naturally judge others based on appearance, and so first impressions are very important in friends, dating, and the job market. I am not ashamed to say that I care about what others think. I asked this question just because I was surprised as a former athlete who is trying to get back to a six pack.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If the chick looks like she may give me some go in a fight, the answer is no.

haha, I find this an interesting gender role example. I find it interesting that lots of men need to be stronger than their significant others. I wonder if it related to our society's definition of masculinity?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I think that it is naive to say that you shouldn't care about what other people think. People naturally judge others based on appearance, and so first impressions are very important in friends, dating, and the job market. I am not ashamed to say that I care about what others think. I asked this question just because I was surprised as a former athlete who is trying to get back to a six pack.

You are right. People judge based on looks, but that doesn't mean that you should spend your life worried about what people think of the way you look or change your goals based on somebody saying they think muscled chicks are gross. Even beautiful people will have people that find them unattractive. If you want to be an athlete and get your 6 pack back, do it. Let the rest of the world or your friends judge as they want. The people who really support you and care about supporting you in reaching your goals will be all for it. You'll look amazing, and you'll feel amazing for hitting your goals.

It's not about how MANY people will find that attractive, but the quality of people that do. People who care about YOU will be in your corner no matter what. Focus on their opinions.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think that is like asking "are blonde women attractive?" or "are brown eyed women attractive?"
    Some people will like a particular look and others won't.

If I had to generalise, I'd say that a women who is comfortable in her body (whatever size and shape) and who exudes confidence and happiness is often very attractive. That's going to be about a whole lot more things than just body size and composition.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think a woman with some muscle I can see looks better than a most woman who range from thin to big, but I think a thik woman looks better than a thin woman so I put a thik womanl right behind the woman with muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    If they are in Figure or Bikini contest shape..............hell yeah. I'm with clients daily and only have a couple of females that I work with that have 6 packs. And both are smoking hot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition