"babe" "hun"

Options

Replies

• MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It does bother me - and i did tell him - his reponse was that i was overreacting!!!!

I'm a spiteful ***** - sometimes........i can play this game!!! Can't wait to go out - and call every male I see "babe' or "sweetie" or "hotness" all loud enough for my "husband" to hear.

This may be the best approach. I'm the same way and was in a similar situation. I handled it like you're thinking and it worked pretty quickly. When I tried talking to him about it he said he didn't mean anything by it. When I did it he got pissed and didn't do it again.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I met my husband's coworkers last night - a bunch of women bartenders. He continuely called them "hun" and "babe" right in front of me!! THEY, of course, didn't seem to mind - BUT I DID!!!!

He says "it's not like I'm attracted to them, it's just out of habit" - I think that's crap!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that a husband should NOT be calling anyone but his WIFE "babe" and "hun"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Lighten up.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i call everyone "toots"

no one likes it, except me
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It does bother me - and i did tell him - his reponse was that i was overreacting!!!!

I'm a spiteful ***** - sometimes........i can play this game!!! Can't wait to go out - and call every male I see "babe' or "sweetie" or "hotness" all loud enough for my "husband" to hear.

I don't think he was playing a game he just sounds clueless just tell him to stop, he might have been saying you were overreacting if he felt like he got screamed at for what he believes is harmless, if you just ask him empathetically to stop because it hurts your feelings but don't get angry at him (because he won't get why) he'll probably stop. However if you purposefully go out and flirt with guys in front of him this might end in a lot of heartbreak and distrust on both sides.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    He obviously doesn't love you. See a divorce lawyer asap:tongue:
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    My OH calls girls Hun if he's friends with them, I think it's nice :)
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I always call people (guys AND girls) Hun... Babe, I usually reserve for my special someone. Regardless of what the rest of us do...or think...it's really up to you and what you prefer or are offended by. Just chat w/ him and tell him you felt hurt. I'm sure he'll try to refrain from doing it, if he knows it is bothersome to you. :)
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    In your situation "babe" would bug me more than "hun" but my SO isn't really one for terms of endearment nor am I.

I get annoyed at work when people on the other end of the phone call me anything like that especially if it's a female who sounds about my age. It is very unprofessional and usually feels patronizing to me. If a little old lady calls me sweetie I don't mind as much.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is necessarily a husband/wife thing but I'm surprised you just noticed it now.

The people who I know that do this, do it all the time - not just in around certain people.

The 1 guy I know who does this. Is a sweet, southern gentleman that I have no problem with him doing it.

The other is an older female and when she says it, I feels like it is completely condescending.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    i call everyone "toots"

no one likes it, except me

Hahahaha one of my best guy friends in college would call everyone "toots" just to be obnoxious; it was the best when he would call other guys "toots." Love it...you keep doing what you do.
  • SheTrucker
    SheTrucker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes TOTAL CRAP! I totally agree with you that your husband should only have cute nicknames for you. Its just like when a guy checks out another chick in front of you and says "Its not like I'm attracted to her" Then why do you do it? Its totally demeaning for guys to do things like that and still call you by those nicknames or tell you that you look good, it starts to not mean anything. I don't check out other guys cause I'm totally committed and I don't want my boyfriend to feel unwanted or like he's not enough. Idk why it seems like men and women are so far apart on issues like this.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you're not okay with it, explain it to him, and ask him to stop. Giving him the side eye or the silent treatment won't solve your problem. Ask for what you want.

This. especially the 'ask for what you want' part. Good luck!
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    Having been called "babe", "sweetie" & "hun" by both genders of clients (I'm a Realtor) I can vouch that most of the time it's just habit. I've never once taken it as anything other than that.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I met my husband's coworkers last night - a bunch of women bartenders. He continuely called them "hun" and "babe" right in front of me!! THEY, of course, didn't seem to mind - BUT I DID!!!!

He says "it's not like I'm attracted to them, it's just out of habit" - I think that's crap!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that a husband should NOT be calling anyone but his WIFE "babe" and "hun"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

would it be better if he called them by their first names like he "really" knew them personally ... lets face it babe a and hun is like saying dude
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Having worked in the bar business for years, believe me, it's completely environmental, and not at all personal. I'd venture a guess that he could work with an incredibly attractive woman, and an absolutely hideous woman, and he'd call them both babe.

This is absolutely not something worth getting in a fight with your husband about.
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    i dont know if my husband does this cause i dont listen for it....

i personally call everyone i know things like that.... its a force of habit for me...

there is one pet name that is for my husband only and there is only one name that i would be crushed if he called someone else by... otherwise i dont think it is a big deal
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This used to bother me. Then I realized it's just such a little thing to be upset over. However, if the endearment is followed by an *kitten* grab, then I have a problem.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That is kind of how people talk in the restaurant and bartending business. If I called people in my current line of work those names it would be highly inappropriate, but there, that is how they talk to each other and to the customers. It isn't flirting or being disrespectful.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    If you're not okay with it, explain it to him, and ask him to stop. Giving him the side eye or the silent treatment won't solve your problem. Ask for what you want.

I would absolutely not be okay with my man calling some other woman anything that he calls me. And if he ever did, I would ask him not to do it in the future.

^This. If it's not "normal" for him to talk that way with others than definitely so.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what we think. If it bothers you that much, tell him.