"babe" "hun"

Options

Replies

• lmatteson04
    lmatteson04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I call everyone "hun" men and women. Sometimes I wonder if I offend anyone. I don't mean to it is just habit for me. I think "babe" seems to be more on a personal level and I would be upset if I heard my husband call someone "babe" :happy:
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    I work in a field that is 95% men (police and fire) and I find that a lot of the guys do the same thing, especially the firemen. A lof of them call me darlin' or hun, one of them says chic. They do it to all of us and I really don't think they mean anything by it. Guys are just clueless. I find that most guys have nicknames for each other and I don't think they get that girls are not the same. I used to be offended by it, but now I just know that they are being men. If he tells you that he means nothing by it and has given you no reason to believe otherwise, I would trust him.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i call everyone babe and everyone honey or darling. even my sister. i dont mean anything by it and those ladies are just trying to get tips so there isnt any need to feel insecure <3 hes married to YOU, right?
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I would say hun is fine,

babe? maybe a step to far, I would get a slap!:ohwell:
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if he thinks it's okay, it might be time to do a little digging. It just doesn't seem right to me. :smile:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ehh thats a little weird.

I could understand if HE was the bartender and calling other woman babe, doll, hun, etc. becasue thats part of the gig.

Sorry - But I am the ONLY wmoan in my guys like he should be calling sweetie.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm a girl and I call everyone hun or darling male or female lol... My daddy did it to from my friends when I was a child to grandmothers... You might just be overreacting
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i only call my kids babe, or baby..i doubt i would call anyone else that..not even my hubby..i cant say what i would do, since my hubby is not the nickname kind of guy..hun i guess isnt so bad..it make me personally feel weird, but many people do it, so i cant stop them..i guess just approach it in a less threatening manner ( than what he thinks) and go from there..good luck :flowerforyou:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Wow I totally know what you're talking about. When a girl says "thanks sweetie" to my wife, like when we go through a drive thru and she gives her money, I FLIP *kitten*!!!! I get up in her face and ask her "WTF B*TCH? YOU CAN'T CALL MY WIFE THAT!!! IS SOMETHING GOING ON BETWEEN YOU TWO? ILL FIND OUT! I CHECK HER TEXTS AND FACEBOOK AND TWITTER AND MFP AND FOLLOW HER!". She backed down quickly after that.

When someone calls me hun or sweetie, I give them my phone number and wink.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    When I think of the word "babe" I think of the pig, so that honestly doesn't matter to me. Actually, no terms of endearment bother me, and they never bother my boyfriend when someone calls me darling, sweetie, honey, etc. There are far more pressing things to worry about in life.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I met my husband's coworkers last night - a bunch of women bartenders. He continuely called them "hun" and "babe" right in front of me!! THEY, of course, didn't seem to mind - BUT I DID!!!!

He says "it's not like I'm attracted to them, it's just out of habit" - I think that's crap!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that a husband should NOT be calling anyone but his WIFE "babe" and "hun"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Its a bit different when its coworkers though....so yeah I feel where you're coming from.

I think babe..is out of line. But, I do call everyone hun also.... I dont know why I do it...Of course, I dont call the husband "hun"... hmmm strange
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Hun - i am ok with, I mean I have women in the grocery store call me hun. So to me it really is not a big deal, But babe, only for my S/O.

Just talk to him and express how you feel.
  • 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Options
    I think the word toots is so funny - I laughed immediately when I saw what you posted lol :)
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    When I' working i call all the elderly men and women Hun! It just comes out naturally as well as sweetie. Babe isn't one that I would appreciate my husband calling anyone but me. He never calls me by my name, its always baby, or babe, or hun. If he calls me by my name I am usually in trouble, lol. Like a kid. I agree you should talk to him but don't go out and do it to get back at him. that won't help anything!

lol... I loved this - me and my hubby were just talking the other day about how we NEVER call each other by our names... it feels weird. Every now and again I just call him by his name "Jim" and he gives me the funniest look... it's always honey, baby, sweetie...
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i can see why you would be upset. personally though my husband and i have special names for each other so 'babe' and 'hun' would be just random terms like 'sir' or 'ma'am' for a younger generation.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Wow I totally know what you're talking about. When a girl says "thanks sweetie" to my wife, like when we go through a drive thru and she gives her money, I FLIP *kitten*!!!! I get up in her face and ask her "WTF B*TCH? YOU CAN'T CALL MY WIFE THAT!!! IS SOMETHING GOING ON BETWEEN YOU TWO? ILL FIND OUT! I CHECK HER TEXTS AND FACEBOOK AND TWITTER AND MFP AND FOLLOW HER!". She backed down quickly after that.

When someone calls me hun or sweetie, I give them my phone number and wink.

Lmao
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    *SMH*
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I call a lot of people "dear" and "hun" and "sweetie". Around here, it's one of those things a lot of people do. You forget or don't know someone's name but you still want to acknowledge them and it sure sounds a lot nicer than "hey you". I agree that it's not really much different than guys calling each other "dude" and "bro".

Playing little jealousy games isn't really a grea idea... Why go that route and potentially cause more harm than good?

Look, I've got a jealous streak a mile long and even had a few blow outs with hubby that I'm kind of embarrassed about in hindsight (he's a bit of a flirt but I'm over it now). Here's the thing - your hubs should be the most important person in your life - your best friend, partner, lover and all that. If you can't trust him and want to retaliate with little childish games, I may agree with one of the above posters that it could be time for some counseling... Take a few breaths and trust what he says is true, that they're just harmless nicknames. Be cool...
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    the only person my husband calls babe or hun is me. Sooo not approaiate. AT ALL. Would not fly in my house hold
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I all everybody "love" "hun" "gorgeous" "beautiful" "honey" "baby" "good lookin". None of my gf's in the past have minded me saying that