"babe" "hun"

Options

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't really see it as a big deal. Lots of people use pet names like that for people other than their partner, and it's certainly not indicative of anything to physical or romantic attraction.
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    Options
    This used to bother me. Then I realized it's just such a little thing to be upset over. However, if the endearment is followed by an *kitten* grab, then I have a problem.

Totally. If not it probably is habit, I called my students hon and stuff all the time because sometimes there are so many you just forget!! I think you are overreacting and I wouldn't do anything spiteful!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that immediately thinks of "ATTILA THE HUN" at the mention of 'hun'???:wink:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I call guys babe and hun all the time. I hope their gfs dont hate me!

The only place I never do this is at work since its a very male dominated field. I sort of have to act like one of the boys.

I didn't realize guys call each other babe and hun?

I don't think they do either but I'm a girl. I guess my cute kitty avatar doesn't give it away. I said I never call the other men at work that because I won't look professional. Men don't call other men babe and hun so I have to follow suit and not do the same either. I don't want to come across as being flirtatious pretty much.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i think that there are bigger issues here. like how do you know someone well enough to marry them, but not know that they call everyone by nicknames?

also, you should be specific when you talk to him. tell him, quite plainly, that he should address young ladies in a manner befitting a gentleman of Austen. "Miss Last-Name" for the eldest child, "Miss First Name" for the younger. and he should never be so presumptuous as to talk to them alone, or be alone with them. though i can understand your concern. these women today with their JOBS and whatnot. it's not befitting of a lady. and to work in a PUBLIC HOUSE? disgraceful.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my husband and i call each other by all sorts of pet names. and sometimes that just spills over. i tend to call people younger than me "sweetie". i used to work with a bunch of guys and i called them honey and sweetie... theres a bond that happens with coworkers, i wouldnt get bent out of shape because he calls people he's close to pet names...

the other part is, i tend to forget peoples names all the time, and calling them sweetie or honey covers that up. i have a terrible memory. that might be whats going on too.

dont be spiteful, that just gives women a bad name. be honest and calm. i'm sure if you came to your husband all hot and bothered he is going to say you're overreacting, because you are. if you went and sat on his lap, said hey honey, it makes me uncomfortable when you call women pet names in front of me and i would really appreciate if you stopped.. then give him a long lingering kiss. that might just do the trick
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Everybody has a personal preference and if it bothers you then you need to tell him that and ask him to respect your feelings by trying to stop doing that.

As for me personally, I can't say it does or ever did bother me when my guy uses such descriptions when talking to other women. I'm also extremely guilty of doing it, to everybody. From the guys I work with, to my girl and guy friends, my kids, people I talk to on the phone, the staff at my favorite bar, and anybody I'm interested in/dating. I've had the habit since high school so it lasted thru my marriage, divorce, and any other relationship I've had as an adult. To me it's just a part of how I talk, like saying "Hey girl" or "Hey so-and-so".
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The first time The Hubby called someone he wasn't married to "babe" or "hun" would be the last time.

Babe, hun, sweety, are all terms of endearment in my world, when I say them it's with affection and hearing hubby saying them I would hear it with the same affection implied, and if it was being said to anyone outside our family it would drive me up a wall.

Truly I would just mention that you have boundaries and would appreciate it if he didn't use those phrases anymore since what he is saying to them is much different than what you are hearing him say to them. I've already laid out those ground rules with hubby so it hasn't ever come up- which I suppose is why if it ever DID happen I would definitely be not so forgiving or understanding.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Sheesshh the insecurity here is rampant. I really never thought it was an issue. My grandma called everyone baby and sweetie :laugh: I wonder how many jealous girls she encountered.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I call guys babe and hun all the time. I hope their gfs dont hate me!

The only place I never do this is at work since its a very male dominated field. I sort of have to act like one of the boys.

I didn't realize guys call each other babe and hun?

clearly you do not watch Hawaii 50
  • misschubbybutterfly
    Options
    I call every man "babe" or "hon", t's TOTALLY out of habit, but I've been that way sence I was in highschool. I do not however, call anyone else "Love" but my boyfriend or my son :D

It does bother my boyfriend sometimes, but he's used to it.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Wow I totally know what you're talking about. When a girl says "thanks sweetie" to my wife, like when we go through a drive thru and she gives her money, I FLIP *kitten*!!!! I get up in her face and ask her "WTF B*TCH? YOU CAN'T CALL MY WIFE THAT!!! IS SOMETHING GOING ON BETWEEN YOU TWO? ILL FIND OUT! I CHECK HER TEXTS AND FACEBOOK AND TWITTER AND MFP AND FOLLOW HER!". She backed down quickly after that.

When someone calls me hun or sweetie, I give them my phone number and wink.

I'm totally with you on this one sweetie. I mean, those terms are SPECIAL! Who just throws those around without regard to consequences?? Right, hun?
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Depending on how and why women talk to me then I might use another name that is not their name, not because I'm attracted to them.
  • misschubbybutterfly
    Options
    i can see why you would be upset. personally though my husband and i have special names for each other so 'babe' and 'hun' would be just random terms like 'sir' or 'ma'am' for a younger generation.

this explains so simply, yet so well! This is exatly how I mean it!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    wow... no comment. (this is hard for me)
  • victoria4321
    Options
    The first time The Hubby called someone he wasn't married to "babe" or "hun" would be the last time.

Babe, hun, sweety, are all terms of endearment in my world, when I say them it's with affection and hearing hubby saying them I would hear it with the same affection implied, and if it was being said to anyone outside our family it would drive me up a wall.

Truly I would just mention that you have boundaries and would appreciate it if he didn't use those phrases anymore since what he is saying to them is much different than what you are hearing him say to them. I've already laid out those ground rules with hubby so it hasn't ever come up- which I suppose is why if it ever DID happen I would definitely be not so forgiving or understanding.

People also use terms of endearment for their children as well. Just because a man is affectionate towards someone doesn't make him intimate with them. If he did it out of habit and it was just hard for him to not slip up occasionally are you gonna motion for a divorce too?

Another case in point why I'm glad I'm not a guy. Women can be crazy, myself included :laugh:
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    So many people let a WORD upset them, that's kind of ridiculous.

The guy is married to YOU, he comes home to YOU, he spends most of his time and is going to be spending the rest of his life with YOU. Don't let a silly word fluster you...
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't really see an issue with it. If my wife told me it bothered her I would probably stop unless she was present and then just do it to get under her skin :).
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get your husband on here so we can understand his side of the story too. You are interested in that right?
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I have several "pet" names for one another. There's some that I feel belong specifically to us and probably would be pissed if she called another guy by them. But hun is not one of them.

Babe eh maybe a little... the other things she calls me e.g. love bug, angel etc I'd be mad. I'll only share those with our children.

While I don't call other women babe. There are lots of people that do. I only call her baby, baby, baby doll, princess, angel to name a few and those are just for her, and the other woman in my life. My little girl.