"babe" "hun"

Options

Replies

• Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just casting my vote on this survey............

I think it's wrong. Don't really need to elaborate because all the reasons why are noted in the previous pages.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Here is a novel f'n idea, why not use their names? I only use pet names for the girl I'm with and nicknames for family and friends. Besides my "don't dip your pen in company ink" rule, I would never call a female coworker "babe" or "hun".
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I think you need to pick you battles..........Im not sure this is worth fighting over..I mean clearly the girls know he is married, he does come home to you every night so whats the big deal. Instead of getting caught up with little things just enjoy the fact that he calls you HIS WIFE !!!!!!!! <<
    These are the most important words he can call you ...right?
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have special names for each other, he calls me Panda and I call him *kitten*, I'M SO JOKING, I would never.

Anyway! We call each other pet names and I definitely would be irritated if he was calling someone else something. I also get jealous very easy so take that as you will.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Hun I think is ok .. Babe .. HELL NO!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I think the word toots is so funny - I laughed immediately when I saw what you posted lol :)

Thanks, toots.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd be that upset over this. It's the nature of bartenders to be flirty.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    This tread tell me more about you than it does your poor husband.

I think it is your problem not his. Working on this would do you a world of good

Good luck
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The first time The Hubby called someone he wasn't married to "babe" or "hun" would be the last time.

Babe, hun, sweety, are all terms of endearment in my world, when I say them it's with affection and hearing hubby saying them I would hear it with the same affection implied, and if it was being said to anyone outside our family it would drive me up a wall.

Truly I would just mention that you have boundaries and would appreciate it if he didn't use those phrases anymore since what he is saying to them is much different than what you are hearing him say to them. I've already laid out those ground rules with hubby so it hasn't ever come up- which I suppose is why if it ever DID happen I would definitely be not so forgiving or understanding.

People also use terms of endearment for their children as well. Just because a man is affectionate towards someone doesn't make him intimate with them. If he did it out of habit and it was just hard for him to not slip up occasionally are you gonna motion for a divorce too?

Another case in point why I'm glad I'm not a guy. Women can be crazy, myself included :laugh:

Haha, please note I said, "Anyone outside our family" Which was intended to embrace our 3 children, 1 grandchild, parents, and grandparents, siblings, sibling-in-laws, cousins, nieces, nephews, you get the idea. Way to be skim-reader ;-) Would I divorce him over it? Obv not, but there'd be a helluva row about it .
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses but... You all need to pull the sticks outta your butts. They are words... I frequently get called hun, babe and dollface at work...and I have asked why and to put it simply... They don't remember my name half the time. They are words.. Nothing more .. Was he groping or touching or flirting with these women? Have you ever gone to a pin and have a waitress say "what can I get ya hun?". I actually call one of the guys here hun all the time..and another one dear.. Both are married and both thei wives know, I don't do it as a term of endearment at all i just cany pronounce their names. And sir just seems way to formal.

I really think he was being polite.. He could have just as easily said "hey woman"...
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would bother me to much me and my husband have names for each other and as long as he isn't calling some girl by the same name he calls me(Mamita or Mi Gordita/Gordita) i am ok with it. My husband works in a restaurant and i assume he uses all kinds of names for other employees, actually i know he does, half the time if i ask my husband someones name he says he doesn't know he just calls them "(insert nickname)" so it doesn't seem that strange to me, he honestly didn't even know his brothers legal name till he was like 20, he always knew him by his nickname, but everyone one in my husbands family has a nickname and no one ever seems to use the other persons "real" name, so for him to use a general nickname when talking to someone is pretty normal to me.

But i also know my husband would be really mad if i called any other guys anything like that, he has this thing where it is ok for him to do things but not me, but most of them are things i don't/wouldn't do any ways. He is slightly crazy but i love him:smile:
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I call my co-workers babe, hun, sweetie, honeysuckle. I have known them over 5 years I see them all day. We go to each others BBQ (with our SO) I guess I should ask my bf if he minds. I don't think I would ever say it in front of him out of respect for him.

On the flip side I am secure enough to know that he loves me. There is one woman I refer to her as his "work-wife" because he is scared sh*tless of her!
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    "Babe" I normally leave for people I'm close to and I'll say it to a male or female. I rarely use "baby" and "hun" but I do greet people with "handsome, "gorgeous" and "doll" a lot. My best friends and I typically call each other "boo" or general insults like "bucket", "scallywag", "sucia", "**** waffle", etc. :laugh:

If I call you "papi" though, you're special :wink:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd be pissed :noway:
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't see the problem.

But hey maybe that is just me.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this really depend on his personality? If my husband did this, it would really surprise & anger me. It would be totally out of character for him. There is no way he would address other females this way. Especially as "babe"... that's a bit much.

"Hun" isn't so bad though... older men do this often. Not sure how old he is or anything, but that might have something to do with it.
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    Hun, sweetie, and toots are all good in my book, but babe is reserved for the significant other.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I first met the boyfriend, he called me "sweets." And then I noticed he called all women "sweets." But once we got serious he stopped calling me "sweets" but he still calls other women "sweets."

I should chop off his balls.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I agree OP, he really shouldn't be calling them that.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Even if he's a bartender, calling female co-workers "babe" and "hon" isn't recommended. Even though no one objects, there might be someone who DOESN'T like it. It's irritating if you don't like it, and might be considered sexist, but that depends.

There's a woman at work who calls everyone "hon," and everyone dislikes it. We ought to tell her, but we don't see her that often.