"babe" "hun"

Options

Replies

• katielema
    katielema Posts: 8
    Options
    I think you need to pick you battles..........Im not sure this is worth fighting over..I mean clearly the girls know he is married, he does come home to you every night so whats the big deal. Instead of getting caught up with little things just enjoy the fact that he calls you HIS WIFE !!!!!!!! <<
    These are the most important words he can call you ...right?

Yes!! Thanks.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bartending might be an exception because it's a fun environment and all that. But it makes me mad when men call their female coworkers "babe", "hun", etc. Not okay!

I'm your colleague, I'm not "sweetie" in the workplace. As said before, it all depends on the work environment.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    LMAO. There's some crazy insecure women here.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Really, in the grand scheme is this really that big of a deal?

My friends and I call each other "hun", "love", "sweetie", etc. all the time. Unnecessary jealousy is highly unattractive.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    hmmm, you appear insecure
  • gemmaldavies
    gemmaldavies Posts: 379
    Options
    hun - ok

babe - NO!!! That shud b what he only calls me.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I call a lot of people babe, hun, love----they are just words. As long as your relationship is secure, what do names matter?
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with "hun" or "babe" for other people because I don't like being called those names myself. Plus, I call people "love", "sweetie", and darling myself. That said, I do find babe a bit more troublesome than the rest of those words, but still not bothering me. Now, if he gave away my pet name (Goober/Peanut), I would be more worried.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Is he from the south? A lot of people here do that.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend this one friend that uses names like that when interacting with him ever so often, and it just burns me! I ignore it though. Nothing i can do, or that he can do.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    How about this.....wait for it....just tell him it's bothering you and why. This is a simple matter.

COMMUNI-F-ING-CATION. I know, it's old school and not all the rage these days.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm Southern, so I kind of call everyone hun or sweetie - lol! Just can't help that. But really, it's a bartender thing. I've done it in the past, and you really are kind of required to be a little flirtatious. It just goes with the territory. My boyfriend was a bartender for a little while too, and he got hit on so much! I kind of took it as a compliment for how hot he is! ;-)

Really, this is all about being insecure in your relationship, and that's what you should be focusing on. Once you have that confidence with each other, those little things just don't matter anymore.
  • danimal5867
    danimal5867 Posts: 390
    Options
    I may be a little bit old fashioned, but I think terms of endearment belong strictly to spouses, children and blood relatives. However, even if he doesn't have that same opinion, the fact that it bothers you should be enough for him to stop. Committed relationships require us to give preference to the ones we love even when we don't always agree with or understand their requests.
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    Hahaha ask every girl on my friend list - it must be a Boston thing or something, but I call every girl babe and hun. Christ, I call some of my guy friends hun to be funny and catch them off guard.

I'll address my girlfriend (when I have one) as beautiful sometimes - can't say it all the time, then they get used to it and it loses it's meaning.

I did have a girlfriend get pissed at me about the hun/babe issue back in college. I was 100% faithful, she was the one cheating, go figure.

If your man treats you right, that's all that should matter. Personally it sounds like he has swag so you should be happy :)
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I am from the south too... and everyone is babe, sweetie, hun, cutie pie...It's in our nature...I would talk to him if it TRULY bothers you...but I would think that you may need to exam yourself a bit and wonder why you are insecure about it in the first place...My 42 cents worth...wouldn't bother me AT ALL, hun! :)
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It would bother me, I know it would bother my husband too.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's bar culture. It's meaningless.
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    +1 for the Southern thing - whenever I go to VA or TN, all the women call me "baby". But that's probably cause I'm swaggin haha ;)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I met my husband's coworkers last night - a bunch of women bartenders. He continuely called them "hun" and "babe" right in front of me!! THEY, of course, didn't seem to mind - BUT I DID!!!!

He says "it's not like I'm attracted to them, it's just out of habit" - I think that's crap!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that a husband should NOT be calling anyone but his WIFE "babe" and "hun"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

FRANKLY, it is CONDESCENDING when a man with whom you/a woman works call them ANYTHING other than their Name, especially a "SWEET" name! Actually, your husband is talking DOWN to those women...I BET NONE of them call him Babe, Sweetie, Hun or any the sort. Your husband is a "typical" Chauvinistic male who does NOT have a CLUE. From where I stand, the LEAST of your worries are jealousy. But Yes, guys like him will do MORE if given the chance...that's what you do with "Sexual OBJECTS."
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    My boyfriend has a pet name just for me.. well and sometimes he uses it with our 3 month old daughter but I am okay with it. Now if he called another girl by that name i would be pissed. But I call everyone.. male and female hun and sweetie, unless I am at work. Then I use names I'd rather not get fired, but I work at a bank. He trusts me just as if i heard him calling a girl hun or some other pet name I wouldn't care, as long as it isn't my pet name. Then I would be pissed.