The Dumb@ss Things People Say...

Options

Replies

• KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    On MFP "TOM" - Get over it ladies.
    In the real world: Misusing/overusing the word "literally" drives me insane.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    "women shouldn't run because it may cause their uterus to fall out"

so THAT'S where it went... thank god someone explained that one to me....

no but really.. who in the world thought of that one?

I also agree with the thigh gap thing. Sorry I'm not sorry I don't want weak legs.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the others yet so I may repeat some. Wait that will be my first one
    #2 Any BMI questions.
    #3 I'm not losin weight, do I really need to eat my calories back.
    #4 Starvation mode is false.
    #5 I don't need to drink that much water.
    #6 Are you using those 45's
    #7 Any comments from people that have been working out for 5 minutes and are already an authority.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Share some of the opinions, cliches, and myths that make you roll your eyes.

People posting in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" section something that clearly belongs in the Chit-Chat section.

People posting about "dumb@ss" things people say when those are genuine questions for people new to fitness.

This, because god forbid people who are new to this would ask a question without being flamed by those who were never out of shape or who have been doing this for 3 years. We HAVE to start SOMEWHERE.

It starts w/ the search button.

Yes, there are people from California on here.
    Yes, there are pregnant people here.
    Yes, there are overweight people who need to lose 100lbs.

No, you're not the first. :)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

I am also going to log sex from now on; I'm going to call it piano playing just to annoy people who are assuming the words I use to describe a workout are to be taken generically litteral.

Nice one... one of the first exercises I looked for was sex...why isn't it there?
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Oh, wait, got another one-

Yes, you may have a pretty face, but when you are upwards of the medical definitions of morbidly obese, you're not a "BBW". You're not "curvy". You're not "a thick girl". You have an illness.

(I feel like I'm going to need a shield for this one)
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How do you log "pissing people off in forums?" I easily burn a solid 1000 calories a day doing that.

I don't know that you're "pissing people off", but you are not being motivating nor supportive to all the people who ask these questions. It reminds me of another thread you started where you made fun of progress pics. Then you claim to be a "motivator". It would seem to me that you'd want to be more supportive to those who don't know as much as you or who are in as great physical condition as you are.....and I'm saying that sincerely. You probably have a lot of great advice to give and COULD be a good motivator.

I know for a fact that you are actually a good person in real life, or at least you try to be. The number of friends you have on here is likely a good indicator of same.

Pursuant such, I've been delicate with you, because I know your heart is in the right place. Your hypothesis however, is not.

You jumped to a very erroneous conclusion based entirely on another erroneous conclusion, propagated by someone else, regarding one of my forums.

I never insulted "progress pictures," in any capacity, whatsoever.

I did make light of grown men posing in front of bathroom mirrors and taking cellphone pictures of themselves like teenage girls seeking emotional validation from strangers, pursuant their own lack of self-esteem.

...Because it's ridiculous.

There was no mention of "progress pictures."

I was making fun of "men" who want to show off their "tummies" to "all tha' laaaadies."

Further, I have never claimed to be "better" than anyone. Ever.

I don't mind pics of shirtless guys with nice abs! I say keep them coming ;)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Loving kindness is greater than the heavens.

There is a woman who works at the supermarket where I shop. She greets me by name. She remembers things like where I traveled or something I shared about my work or family. I am not the only one, either. I have heard her talking with other shoppers and being just as attentive to them.
    It is unusual for a store employee to go out of her way to acknowledge shoppers and even more unusual for her to remember their names. This woman is extraordinarily kind. She has made such an impression on me that it only took me a few weeks before I remembered her name as well. And so now we greet each other by name.
    I find myself looking for her when I come into the store. I smile to myself (you can probably see it on the outside, too) when I walk into the store and see that she is looking my way. I smile when I see how she lights up the faces of people who are taken by surprise that someone is talking with them.
    Imagine what it would be like if we all did this with people we encounter. Loving kindness is like that.

from Forward Day by Day
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    People who say anything along the lines of "I'm offended by X" or "That's very offensive". No one cares. :yawn:

Can we make a "The Dumb@ss Things People Do" thread? I have a lot to contribute.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I just also want to add that I was very amused when I noticed someone consistently logging "sitting quietly" in their exercise.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion that they're dying to share. The list of people with dumb@ss opinions is only topped by the list of people SEARCHING to be offended by something.

Share some of the opinions, cliches, and myths that make you roll your eyes.

(And I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, nor this site. I mean in general.)

When people use @ in place of a. It's stupid.

@greed.

It's lIkE tHe PeOPlE wHO tYpE LiKE thIS

Ironically, I absolutely DESPISE using alphanumeric characters to "mask bad words." However, I figured spelling out "dumbass" in the title would get the string deleted before it even started.

I also despise horrific grammar and lack of proper punctuation. Just saying.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    When ppl are tempted to cheat or craving a certain candy bar, etc I'm thinking they are here for encouragement to stick to their goals, but their other friends are telling them to cheat! Oh one candy bar won't hurt you! Wtf? I'm pretty sure that's why most of us are here. I know that's what made my *kitten* obese.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I just also want to add that I was very amused when I noticed someone consistently logging "sitting quietly" in their exercise.

Shhhh. Sitting quietly.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I hate when people go "I am fat" and its coming from someone weight 115 lbs. and is 5'3" tall. come on now

Also I hate when people talk about using household chores as calorie burning in their exercises instead of using that as a bonus.

But whatever
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Yes, you may have a pretty face, but when you are upwards of the medical definitions of morbidly obese, you're not a "BBW". You're not "curvy". You're not "a thick girl". You have an illness.

Yeah, you'll need a shield for sure haha. I got hounded for getting annoyed at people who log silly things for exercise.
  • gchutson
    Options

Yeah. You might want to hide behind me after that one.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Yeah. You might want to hide behind me after that one.

I REGRET NOTHING. Oh come on, someone had to say it....
  • brianblinn
    brianblinn Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I am also going to log sex from now on; I'm going to call it piano playing just to annoy people who are assuming the words I use to describe a workout are to be taken generically litteral.

Nice one... one of the first exercises I looked for was sex...why isn't it there?

I log sex all the time. If you are not covered in sweat, heart racing, out of breath & exhausted then you are SO doing it wrong.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    -- In a conversation about exercise that I am sure I did not start, an obese woman telling me that grooming her pet was exercise after I'd discussed running.

Hmmm....I have to say that I've seen a pet or two where grooming does involved major sprints and weight lifting, wrestling, etc! LOL Sorry.....I couldn't resist.....scene playing out before my eyes and giving me a good LOL!
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    -- In a conversation about exercise that I am sure I did not start, an obese woman telling me that grooming her pet was exercise after I'd discussed running.

Hmmm....I have to say that I've seen a pet or two where grooming does involved major sprints and weight lifting, wrestling, etc! LOL Sorry.....I couldn't resist.....scene playing out before my eyes and giving me a good LOL!
    Stop laughing at my plight.
This discussion has been closed.