The Dumb@ss Things People Say...

Options
15678911»

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I have a question about the house cleaning issue. I can understand not logging general straightening up or a spot vacuum of your living room. However, once per week, I do a heavy duty, top to bottom cleaning of my house. We're talking vacuuming including edge cleaning and pulling out the furniture from the wall to clean behind it, stripping down all the beds and remaking them, scrubbing the baseboards, cleaning the ceiling fans, sweeping/scrubbing the tile and hardwood floors, scrubbing the shower/tub, etc... It takes HOURS of hard work to do all of that, my heart rate is elevated, and I sweat as much or more than I do in my workouts. So why is it considered normal to log my workouts EVERY DAY, but foolish to log my heavy duty housecleaning ONCE PER WEEK on top of the workout I do for that day? I also don't get why it matters so much to you (not just you, but every other person on here who has expressed the same irritation) what other people are logging for exercise. It doesn't affect your weightloss/fitness, so why are you so frustrated by what someone else does? I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm genuinely baffled as to why this irritates so many people.

When I do heavy duty housecleaning, I log it. Regular, routine stuff, nope. And it doesn't matter to me what you log - it's your log :flowerforyou:
  • Suzanne77598
    Options
    "I want to tone up"

I was someone who said this...now I understand. Thank you to all the people who explained it to me without making me feel like an idiot

Nikinyx6 please could you enlighten me?
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the others yet so I may repeat some. Wait that will be my first one
    #2 Any BMI questions.
    #3 I'm not losin weight, do I really need to eat my calories back.
    #4 Starvation mode is false.
    #5 I don't need to drink that much water.
    #6 Are you using those 45's
    #7 Any comments from people that have been working out for 5 minutes and are already an authority.

Hahah I laughed when I saw #7 (well actually of of them) but I hate that people think they are expects who have just started working out, who knows if they are even doing it the right way or how they are doing it, usually their statements are wrong and could harm another person
  • Suzanne77598
    Options
    Enlighten me, too, please.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Which is why I titled it "The Dumb@ss Things People Say"... and not "The Dumb@ss Thing People Ask."

I realize that, but in the course of the thread, you've made fun of people who type "loose" instead of "lose" and people asking about water gain. BMI discussions might be full of crap to you, but maybe others are just trying to be helpful when answering other people's questions. I don't know that people giving advice about BMI are saying something dumb@ss. That's all I meant.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hate when people go "I am fat" and its coming from someone weight 115 lbs. and is 5'3" tall. come on now

Also I hate when people talk about using household chores as calorie burning in their exercises instead of using that as a bonus.

But whatever

Agreed. Especially about the household chores. But watch out...there are some people who are seriously passionate about logging this :)
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Oh, wait, got another one-

Yes, you may have a pretty face, but when you are upwards of the medical definitions of morbidly obese, you're not a "BBW". You're not "curvy". You're not "a thick girl". You have an illness.

(I feel like I'm going to need a shield for this one)

Yeah. You might want to hide behind me after that one.

I REGRET NOTHING. Oh come on, someone had to say it....

Maybe next time, lead with something less controversial, like ... "I hate grandmas" or "I wish all puppies would die from herpes." lol
  • krissyliz78
    krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hate when people call it baby weight.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hearing about some of the stuff people on this board say they eat and suggest other's eat. It can be appalling. ex; brown sugar, potatos, butter, I'm cutting down on my Pepsi but can't give it up, etc. No wonder they are not losing fat and not gaining muscle.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Maybe next time, lead with something less controversial, like ... "I hate grandmas" or "I wish all puppies would die from herpes." lol
    Dogs can get herpes?????
  • macpatti
    Options
    I hate when people call it baby weight. Umm hello I had a six pack when my daughter was 4 months old. Its called an excuse!!!

Well, good for you, but not everyone can have a six pack 4 months after having a baby. It's "baby weight" when it's the extra weight you gained while pregnant. It may be an "excuse" when your kid is 10, but there is such a thing as baby weight.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When people know you're on a diet, give you a hard time about "taking it too far" when you turn down junk food and eat salads and skinless chicken...

...but the moment you finally let yourself have a few pieces or chocolate or some party mix after weeks of being good, they're down your throat about eating junkfood.

Bonus points if they're eating something even worse while they do it.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    On MFP "TOM" - Get over it ladies.
    In the real world: Misusing/overusing the word "literally" drives me insane.

Me too Kelly, it literally drives me insane!
  • gchutson
    Options
    Which is why I titled it "The Dumb@ss Things People Say"... and not "The Dumb@ss Thing People Ask."

I realize that, but in the course of the thread, you've made fun of people who type "loose" instead of "lose" and people asking about water gain. BMI discussions might be full of crap to you, but maybe others are just trying to be helpful when answering other people's questions. I don't know that people giving advice about BMI are saying something dumb@ss. That's all I meant.

Speaking as a attorney, I can tell you without hesitation nor pause... someone is going to be offended, always. If we never say things that MAY offend someone, we will never speak.

Someone somewhere is going to be offended by what you say, always. It cannot be avoided.

Case-in-point... there have been two-hundred and twelve (212) comments on this string in the last two (2) hours. Two (2) people were offended by my posts. Four (4) people have been offended by yours. And I'm quite sure you never intended to offend anyone (well, except me).

-- For the record, I was not one of the four offended by yours ;) --
  • gchutson
    Options
    On MFP "TOM" - Get over it ladies.
    In the real world: Misusing/overusing the word "literally" drives me insane.

Me too Kelly, it literally drives me insane!

Ok, clearly I'm a noob.. what the hell does "TOM" mean?
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing excuses.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Rants like "I hate people who......"

- Continue to eat crap and cry when they don't lose weight
    - Log house cleaning as exercise
    - Can't count to 20, even when using their toes
    - Can't figure out when to use 'lose' or 'loose'
    - Don't understand ME and MY needs (it's all about me, after all)
    - Think trolls aren't people, too

I just have to disagree about the house cleaning. Have you ever cleaned a 13 year old boys room from top to bottom..good lord. I actually burned a ton of calories I wore my HRM just to see. But I also re-arranged it while I was cleaning. Not to mention I think I burned a lot of calories coming up with his just punishment for his room being the way it was. :laugh: :angry:

BY the way I HATE when people tell me don't worry next year at this time you will be thin and at your goal weight. UMM really how do you know this? and why are you putting a time on my weight loss..
  • gchutson
    Options
    I hate when people call it baby weight. Umm hello I had a six pack when my daughter was 4 months old. Its called an excuse!!!

Well, good for you, but not everyone can have a six pack 4 months after having a baby. It's "baby weight" when it's the extra weight you gained while pregnant. It may be an "excuse" when your kid is 10, but there is such a thing as baby weight.

I have never had baby weight. Just sayin'
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    This post is in violation of the MyFitnessPal guidelines and has been locked. The guideline in question states:
    6. No Intentionally Hurtful Topics

Topics which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.