What are reasons why you don't jog?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, they don't make battery operated, portable air conditioning and air purification units. Between the heat, pollutants, and pollen around here right now, I can barely walk.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, so i do HIIT to get it over with quicker.

You my boy, blue.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    For me it's because I don't want to play kick-ball at the same time.:embarassed:
    Also why I don't sit down real quick either :blushing:
    Your excuse is invalid.

Humor much??
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    2 herniated discs and atrophied pillar muscles, I can't take the impact. No running or jumping for me :(
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I run and see no reason or excuse (better word) to not run.

I tried but as my belly is more of a problem than my boobs at this stage so I need to find something to hold in still or wait till there is alot less of it!
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Saying that you'll hurt your knees by running is just an excuse not to run.

I started running after I found out that I have arthritis in my knees. Running strengthens your ligaments which then helps stabilize your joints, resulting in stronger knees. If you find that your joints are bothering you after a run, check your footwear!
    :heart: Thank you!

There are plenty of 50 and overs in my running group who have been running since they were kids and none of them have knee problems (or any other issues).

I'm sorry but.....I'm 49.....after 4 knee surgeries....you're both wrong. I really hate those blanket statements people like to make. It's really insulting.

I gave MY experience with running with bad knees. Not really sure how that's insulting anyone. You can tell me I'm wrong if I was suggesting you go run a half marathon after 4 knee surgeries because "it'll be just fine." My guess is that running after knee surgeries probably isn't the best thing for you. That being said, joints get STRONGER with EXERCISE. If you aren't exercising, your joints get weak and become more susceptible to wear-and-tear injuries. If you truly found what I said before to be insulting, then I apologize because that was not my intention.

Your experience running with bad knees wasn't the insulting "part" of what you said. So let me quote you more accurately. You said, and I quote your own words above, "Saying that you'll hurt your knees by running is just an excuse not to run". Implying that because my knees hurt when I run after 4 surgeries I am making "excuses" for not running. Blanket statements like that tend to annoy me. So you know what? I'm even going to give you that one. Claiming that what you said is insulting is a little hyperbole and I'm probably being way too overly sensitive. So I apologize for being overly sensitive.

However, you did say running strengthens your ligaments while on the surface might be a true statement, nowhere in my initial answer did I say I wasn't exercising or did I ever claim exercising wasn't good for joints. I never said anything of the sort. I swim, I bike, I do other things that are not as hard impacting as running.

When you make a blanket statement that those who say they'll hurt their knees by running are "making excuses", can rub people the wrong way when they are not necessarily having the best day of their life. Turning something that's usually nothing more than a pet peeve into an insult.

No harm, no foul, have a good day.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yup, I don't think it is necessary.

I walk at lot at a fairly moderate pace, I sprint occasionally and I lift heavy things once in a while.

No need to mess with Mr Inbetween ;)
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    :huh: ???
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I pee when I jog. Thanks kids.

This. And all the ladies who have had kids out there (vaginally, I should add) and not elected to have bladder surgery are LYING SOBs if they don't say this!

Bull**** I gave birth to 6 kids vaginally and I don't pee on myself!!!!!
  • cristianl47
    Options
    Its so boring even with music
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    craptastic knees...orthopedic surgeon says the stationary bike is my best friend.
  • mokab
    mokab Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Boobs.
    And even then, running is something that I would love to do. But I can't seem to get it. I have tried jog for one minute walk for two then build.. but I can't get the breathing down.
    I am a swimmer. We breathe differently and I can't figure out running. So if anyone is going to chase me I better be near water or I am done.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Boobs, and embarrassment. I don't want anyone to see me get tired and stop.

seriously. who cares. I never thought i'd run, and now I run.... on the incline trainer at the gym a few times a week, and it's awesome. I double bra (regular bra plus sports bra) - that holds the girls down pretty well..... and it's awesome. screw what anyone else thinks. they should be worrying about themselves anyways.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Well you see what-had-happened was, I did something stupid and ended up breaking my ankle, found out almost 2 months later (when the cast came off) I also ripped my ACL in half and tore the cartilage in my knee. I had knee surgery but the recovery process has been very slow and my knee still isn't strong enough. Whenever I try to jog my knee gives on me and I end up on the ground.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I could jog, but I wouldn't be able to walk the next day due to knee swelling.
    I can use an elliptical or stair climber, so that is what I do.
  • nrf12
    nrf12 Posts: 3
    Options
    too lazy :p
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I :heart: running!

This!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    "I don't jog. If I die, I want to b sick first" - quoted, can't remember source.
  • missattitude57
    Options
    I don't have enough muscle built up around my knees and ankles to cushion the impact my big body has on them :ohwell: