What are reasons why you don't jog?

Options

Replies

• mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I used to love to jog/run but my knees got messed up and I had to quit. :cry: I'm surprised at the number of people who think running is boring. I miss it so much! It was so exhilirating! I loved it!
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    boobs are to big and I don't want to duct tape them!
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I live in Maine, and it's spring time. We have momma bears right now that are less than impressed with fast movement near the cubs... whether you know they're there or not.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Anxiety about running in a public place with a bunch of judgmental people. I have no problems running/jogging with my dad's track club though, because a lot of them are his friends and I've known some of them since I was a kid. They're not judgmental like the average person would be.
  • Sparkles93
    Sparkles93 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I never used to jog, until about 2 months ago. We got a new dog, an australian sheperd, and since we don't live on a farm she doesn't get as much exercise as her breed needs. So I began taking her jogging every night since then. My dog's need for the exercise gave me somehting to be aco****able to. So I haven't skipped a day since :) I never thought I would like to go running, but now it's a major stress reliever!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Anxiety about running in a public place with a bunch of judgmental people. I have no problems running/jogging with my dad's track club though, because a lot of them are his friends and I've known some of them since I was a kid. They're not judgmental like the average person would be.

I felt like that when I first started running (and I was a size 2) because I knew I was not going to be good at it and so many people in that area were real runners. So I ran at night lol I always thought I would get mugged or something.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    when i was pregnant i was active (with my sports correspondent job, i was having to walk up and down from the press box in the stadium as well as to and from the parking and walking the football fields afterwards to interview the coaches) and might be the reason i didn't gain weight, which my kid was 7lbs 12 ounces when he came out vaginally.

I know i go faster then a walk but i wouldn't say i'm a runner, so probably a jogger. Sadly, i do have bad knees, but i usually end up with them hurting when i don't exercise then when i do, and i also have an ankle that has recurring ankle sprains but all i do is throw on a brace. My girls bounce (I'm a 42 DD) and have yet to find a good sports bra.

Running/jogging isn't for everyone. Trust me, in high school, i was always last when running around the track for warm up as a thrower but i do believe that dealt more with my asthma then anything else. I love it now, and on days that I don't do it, i feel horrible, but know that i will do it the next day (I force myself to take rest days from it because i know that if I don't i will be in trouble).
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    I don't like it. Plain and simple. I did a 10 week running program and still didn't enjoy it.

I will run to go somewhere. I will run in a sport. But I don't enjoy jogging/running and that makes it an unrealistic part of a lifestyle to keep up.

I hoop instead.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    lazy and bore easily.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    my boobies. =)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    My weight is too high for me to run without injury. Once I get below 200 I'm going to try.

Edited to add: I sprained my knee really badly when I tried to run while I weighed over 200lbs, and it took 4 months to completely heal.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    knee problems... even walking for long periods can hurt, but I push through it because I don't want my body to think it has control!
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it. I "don't know how".. ie proper position/breathing/etc, so whenever I try to run I'm super slow and I get painful aches, pains and side cramps. I want to start running and learn how to properly do it, though.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    knee problems... even walking for long periods can hurt, but I push through it because I don't want my body to think it has control!

I like the elliptical trainer, since it doesnt jar the joints too badly
  • ErikaLynn89
    Options
    I was a professional figure-skater. Since then, the constant impact on my knees as well as falling on them all the time makes it really hard for me to run.
  • guineebrat
    guineebrat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ive had major knee surgery so i have a mini trampoline and i jogg in place on it listen to tunes watch tv for 20 to 30 mins much easier on the knee no hard pavement my knee has to last me for quite the while i also have a huge exercise ball i sit on it at the computer do bouncing and squats and it helps tone stomach and better than just ploppn in pc chair !!!!:tongue:
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    Because I run...

'What does it mean to be a runner? Simply that you run. 'To move legs quickly,' says the Oxford English Dictionary. '(the one foot being lifted before the other is set down) so as to go at a faster pace than walking; to cover ground, make one's way, rapidly in this manner.' Now consider what the dictionary says about jogging: 'To move up and down or to and fro with a heavy unsteady motion; to move on at a heavy or labored pace, to trudge.' Is that the kind of activity you see yourself doing? No. You don't jog - you run. It doesn't matter how fast, how far, or how often you run, if you're moving faster than you would if you were walking, you are a runner. Not all (people) believe this about themselves, however.'

~ "The Complete Book of Running for Women" by Claire Kowalchik
  • dustbunnygirl
    dustbunnygirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The pinched nerve and two bulging discs in my back, as well as one completely torqued knee. Fastest you'll ever see me going is on the Arc trainer or a bike.
  • scorchy808
    scorchy808 Posts: 26
    Options
    After trying ever kind of sports bra out there, I finally found two brands and styles that actually allow me to run and jump and do whatever I want in complete comfort. The Anita Extreme Control Sports Bra (my size in this style is 36F) and the Shock Absorber Running Bra (36E) do the job. They aren't cheap but well worth it. Support and sweat are not an issue, totally liberating!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Saying that you'll hurt your knees by running is just an excuse not to run.

I started running after I found out that I have arthritis in my knees. Running strengthens your ligaments which then helps stabilize your joints, resulting in stronger knees. If you find that your joints are bothering you after a run, check your footwear!
    :heart: Thank you!

There are plenty of 50 and overs in my running group who have been running since they were kids and none of them have knee problems (or any other issues).

I'm sorry but.....I'm 49.....after 4 knee surgeries....you're both wrong. I really hate those blanket statements people like to make. It's really insulting.

I gave MY experience with running with bad knees. Not really sure how that's insulting anyone. You can tell me I'm wrong if I was suggesting you go run a half marathon after 4 knee surgeries because "it'll be just fine." My guess is that running after knee surgeries probably isn't the best thing for you. That being said, joints get STRONGER with EXERCISE. If you aren't exercising, your joints get weak and become more susceptible to wear-and-tear injuries. If you truly found what I said before to be insulting, then I apologize because that was not my intention.

Maybe she's using a stationary bike or elliptical like me. It's really not okay to blow off your surgeon's advice following that many knee surgeries. Jogging is just not an option for some people, we are not just "making excuses".