do you hold back

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Generally speaking, I think "if I die at work tomorrow, would I want this left unsaid?" I react accordingly.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    It depends on the person for me. As I'm getting older though, I'm finding I'm much more apt to tell it like it is. But when it comes to my needs and wants...i still have a hard time.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    I'm more likely to hold back.... I have spoken my mind several times before and there have been reprecussions. Now I only speak up after I've weighed all the options of NOT speaking up...
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    ... and then there are the times it backfires and it breaks your heart. :brokenheart:
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Depends..I've learned not to share too much...
    This...when I see the other persons eyes glazing over than I know it's not worth sharing my thoughts. Most people just want a sounding board and I'm good at that
    I also am not a good debater. I can come up with the perfect response ten minutes later when the person has left the building.:huh:
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    I hold back way too often :grumble:
  • SC_Rose85
    SC_Rose85 Posts: 5
    that sounds refreshing, I hold back because if my SO found out that i am still not over someone else he would probably flip out. sometimes I hate it and feel like I'm living a lie but it's better than telling him that I have feeling for a married man that wants nothing to do with me.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    I talk way too much but I hold my tongue on religion and politics, it's always a lose/lose situaition to me.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Religion, politics and weight loss methods.
    I'm sick of people who are unhealthier than I saying "you know what you need to do....." :grumble: really?
  • I tend to be the hold back type. I know that I have an extremly firey temper and emotions in general so I usually try and give myself a moment to process before reply, otherwise I've been known to over react
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    I bare my soul, I wish I didn't. It gets your heart broken.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    I must simply because I dont have the fine art of wording things compassionately mastered yet lol.. if you act like an idiot or a moron the first thing out of my mouth is you're an idiot, or you're a moron lol or that's not how you do that, or you're wrong and here's Why... LOL... when people say or do stupid stuff I used to always tell them but me biting my tongue is generally better than making someone feel like a piece of sht and having to either apologize and make it better if its a loved one, or have a stranger hate me lol... if its something super fantastical just wow umm no then ill tell them...
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,796 Member
    There are a few situations that require you hold to back ie; dealing with someone that may have a very fragile state of mind...children etc, but most adult to adult situations....let it rip!!

very well put :)
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Honestly, I do hold back a lot in real life. I find myself being much freer online, and with those i have met on here.

This exactly! I am so open and "out there" with online friends but when it comes to my own family (especially my husband and my mom), I find it hard to put my feelings out there. Even a simple "I love you" or "I'm sorry" seems too difficult to say sometimes. I don't know why but I've just always been like this!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    Apparently i need to start holding back a bit more than i do. I tend to be a bit shy, but the point is always well-made. People know where they stand with me.

snw - i LOVE you and your bluntness, even if ya get pissed at me and delete me for, like, an hour. :wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    What, you mean like that filter between mouth and brain thing? Hell no, I'm ADHD, I don't have one of those! Which is why I don't talk to people often and I don't like being around people much. So many fakers out there who never say what they mean.

Pffff to them. I'd rather be totally myself around a few who can handle it than fake it all day among legions.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    When I was younger, I'd hold back for fear of repercussion.

Nowadays, if I'm talking to an adult who's a friend and feel the need to be honest - I am. Obviously, in a tactful, polite way but I'm not into bullsh*tting someone. I tell it like it is. Most of the people in my RL appreciate my candor and honesty so it's never been a problem.
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    I am pretty much an open book but I do keep my feelings quite under wraps.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    When I was younger, I'd hold back for fear of repercussion.

Nowadays, if I'm talking to an adult who's a friend and feel the need to be honest - I am. Obviously, in a tactful, polite way but I'm not into bullsh*tting someone. I tell it like it is. Most of the people in my RL appreciate my candor and honesty so it's never been a problem.

See, I can appreciate this. A mixture of self control and tact combined with honesty.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    I tend to hold back. I would rather not say anything, than to say something and then wish I could take it back.