Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Guess what's also vegan? Potato chips. I gained tons of weight because I ate wayyy too many of those and not enough good foods.

Aren't potato chips fried in lard? I thought vegans [that never existed anywhere, ever] spontaneously combusted when they ate animal products?
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I don't like meat, it makes me feel sick and I also don't like the way some animals are treated for the 'privilege' of ending up on someone's dinner plate.

I'm not against omni's doing what they do though, my partner is an omni but we get meat from a locally run farm shop where I can see the animals. Works for both of us, I know the animals are happy, he gets his tasty meat. And he says it's better than supermarket meat so win/win.

I wouldn't push what I do on others, it's my preference. I expect people to do the same with me but I have people dig at me for my choice of eating habits. :-\
  • htalexander
    Options
    This is my opinion, which will probably cause a stir but o well......I love most meats also but I try to eat smaller portions of it than I did in the past, because I think, historically, that's what we are meant to do..... If you think back to the hunter/gatherer cultures...or actually not even that far back...when someone happened to kill an animal (which probably was not every single day) then it would be divided up and everyone would get a portion (probably much smaller than..let say, a typical steak)......the rest of the diet whole be nuts, fruit, and grains in later times.....I guess I try to do a more modern version of this..I usually eat meat at dinner but not breakfast (excepts eggs) or lunch always....I have also replaced a lot of beef with venison....and eat lots and lots of seafood (its my fav). I often get vegetarian dishes when I go out, they're good and less calories!! I think as long as people get enough protien and other essentials, you can be a healthy vegan or carnevour.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I know some people who don't like the taste or texture of meat.

So many smartass jokes came to mind, I literally got dizzy.
    LOL go for it I don't easily offend
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What bothers me about that whole lot [of people that have never existed ever] (referencing other people is forbidden), is that you never see "healthy" vegetarians. By "healthy," I mean my definition of "healthy." IE, muscles, built, powerful, etc...
    Actually there are a fair amount of vegetarian bodybuilders in the IFBB, but I guess you could argue it doesn't matter that much what you're eating when the drugs in your veins mean you put on muscle lifting a fork to your face - which vegetarians have to do a whole lot more.

The sheer quantity of food I would have to consume to meet my protein and calorific needs in plant matter would be astronomical, let alone the expense of it all. I'll stick to my 3 chicken fillets or big fat steak.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I don't like meat, it makes me feel sick and I also don't like the way some animals are treated for the 'privilege' of ending up on someone's dinner plate.

I'm not against omni's doing what they do though, my partner is an omni but we get meat from a locally run farm shop where I can see the animals. Works for both of us, I know the animals are happy, he gets his tasty meat. And he says it's better than supermarket meat so win/win.

I wouldn't push what I do on others, it's my preference. I expect people to do the same with me but I have people dig at me for my choice of eating habits. :-\

I would never dig at you. You have a cool screen name. Wanna share a burger? (Ok, sorry. I couldn't resist.)
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like meat and I like blood!

However, I do have two darling cats, they are my friends and... we DON'T eat friends! So, I'd have to qualify, "Yes, I like meat AND I like blood, however, I probably wouldn't eat it if there was any intimacy involved prior to feasting..."
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

I would never dig at you. You have a cool screen name. Burger? (Ok, sorry. I couldn't resist.)

As long as it's a bean burger with salsa I'm all in! :-D lol
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    First--you're darling and hysterical! Second--some strangeness overcame me 8 weeks ago. I was minding my own business eating a sloppy joe (a favorite) when I over-thought things and realized I was eating the flesh of a dead animal. Haven't had any a bite since. I can still make the best ribs in town and have NO idea what I'll do for Thanksgiving. Frankly, I hope it's just a phase!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I just like meat, but it in moderation. I only eat very lean red meat, chicken, fish and turkey. My max is 4 oz. in a day. I do not eat processed meats hardly at all (once a month). That's no cold cuts, breakfast meats and the like.

I eat primarily fresh veggies, fruit, nuts, eggs, beans, and some low fat dairy. My diet (what I eat) is about 1000 calories a day from vegetables/fruit/nuts, 300 from eggs.dairy and no more than 300 from meat/fish/poultry.

I don't have any moral issues with meat. But I do request free range or grass fed whenever it is available. I believe there is much more danger with preservatives, antibiotics and "fattening" drugs, than with meat itself.

I guess I should add that I had a heart attack, which was NOT related to artery blockage. The cardiologist said that I had the arteries of a 18-year-old. I had a bit of Versed, so I asked him to get me some Kentucky Fried Chicken and a few beers.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am inclined toward vegetarianism and my husband of almost 36 years is a confirmed carnivore. Of our two adult children, our son is of the vegetarian persuasion (since 5th grade) and our daughter is into the meat/good fat, low carb persuasion (based on some random guys theories who I don't understand). Both kids are in good health, functioning independently, in the normal weight range, in committed relationships etc., etc. The only problem my son has with his vegetarian ways is the stereotyping that you are nice, unargumentative and a knee-jerk liberal. He doesn't care what others eat. My daughter is a bit more into proselytizing and believes I am dooming my health. Imagine Thanksgiving, nonetheless everyone loves to come to our house and enjoy and we have a double spread.

I have a strong family history of heart disease and stroke and I am a cancer survivor. My cholesterol and blood pressure measures do better when I go the vegetarian route. Whether my eating approach will give me extra quality years, I guess I'll never know, but it seems to keep my doctors' happy and that keeps me happy. I am a really good cook both veges and meat so I don't feel deprived without meat. In the spirit of being inclusionary, I can't resist prime rib if it is on the menu when I go out and I love a good hamburger and fries on rare occasions.
  • gchutson
    Options
    What bothers me about that whole lot [of people that have never existed ever] (referencing other people is forbidden), is that you never see "healthy" vegetarians. By "healthy," I mean my definition of "healthy." IE, muscles, built, powerful, etc...
    Actually there are a fair amount of vegetarian bodybuilders in the IFBB, but I guess you could argue it doesn't matter that much what you're eating when the drugs in your veins mean you put on muscle lifting a fork to your face - which vegetarians have to do a whole lot more.

The sheer quantity of food I would have to consume to meet my protein and calorific needs in plant matter would be astronomical, let alone the expense of it all. I'll stick to my 3 chicken fillets or big fat steak.

Exactly. When I was young, fit and good looking, and fighting on a daily basis... If I were only eating "fruits and veggies" at the time, I would have had to have eaten 200 apples a day to even put a dent in my calorie needs.

I will admit however, that is a tremendous number of doctors I would subsequently be keeping away.
  • gchutson
    Options
    First--you're darling and hysterical! Second--some strangeness overcame me 8 weeks ago. I was minding my own business eating a sloppy joe (a favorite) when I over-thought things and realized I was eating the flesh of a dead animal. Haven't had any a bite since. I can still make the best ribs in town and have NO idea what I'll do for Thanksgiving. Frankly, I hope it's just a phase!

I had the same realization yesterday. I was eating meat, when I suddenly realized that it was the flesh of a living creature.
    It moo'd.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I like meat and I like blood!

However, I do have two darling cats, they are my friends and... we DON'T eat friends! So, I'd have to qualify, "Yes, I like meat AND I like blood, however, I probably wouldn't eat it if there was any intimacy involved prior to feasting..."

Again, avoiding all jokes about "eating [cats]."
  • gchutson
    Options
    This is my opinion, which will probably cause a stir but o well......I love most meats also but I try to eat smaller portions of it than I did in the past, because I think, historically, that's what we are meant to do..... If you think back to the hunter/gatherer cultures...or actually not even that far back...when someone happened to kill an animal (which probably was not every single day) then it would be divided up and everyone would get a portion (probably much smaller than..let say, a typical steak)......the rest of the diet whole be nuts, fruit, and grains in later times.....I guess I try to do a more modern version of this..I usually eat meat at dinner but not breakfast (excepts eggs) or lunch always....I have also replaced a lot of beef with venison....and eat lots and lots of seafood (its my fav). I often get vegetarian dishes when I go out, they're good and less calories!! I think as long as people get enough protien and other essentials, you can be a healthy vegan or carnevour.

There's a flaw in your logic. Being a neanderthal myself... we don't share well.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I do believe eating no meat or little meat significantly reduces the interior and exterior wear and tear on your body. Plus you are more likely to consume and ENJOY fruit, vegetables, and legumes. For children raised vegetarian, it sets a foundation for life for healthy eating. All of my kids love healthy food, they don't have that distaste for veggies that seems common in American children.

I would never tell anyone they SHOULD be vegetarian, but I do think most people (at least in the states) eat too much meat. You can never go wrong in reducing how much meat you eat, but eating too much meat can actually hurt you.

Scientifically, none of this is true. Vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores all have the same rates of disease and life expectancies. Also, I eat meat, and I've never not enjoyed fruit, vegetables, or legumes. Vegetarian =/= healthy eating, as there are plenty of things that are vegetarian that are not healthy. Oreo cookies, potato chips, french fries, just 3 examples off the top of my head that are considered vegetarian (well, vegan technically.)

Good habits lead to good health, no specific diet or way of eating automatically leads to good health.

And GC, commercial potato chips are fried in canola oil, vegetable oil, or sunflower oil. They stopped using lard decades ago. Sad really, as nutritionally, lard is actually very high in monounsaturated fat, and medium chain triglycerides, the healthy stuff people are spending crazy amounts of money on coconut oil for. :laugh:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I like chicken and I like the occasional burger. The rest I could do with or without. I like meat but its not something I'm truely for or against.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The only debate are ones that people create. My philosophy is to each their own and let's each live our lives the way we see fit. I ate enough meat in the first 35 years of my life to last a lifetime. I've been vegetarian for 13 years and when people ask me "why?", the answer is easy: "I feel better when I don't eat meat." As for no healthy vegetarians, I would debate that point vigorously; there are plenty of us out there. There are also plenty of unhealthy vegetarians who, like omnivores, don't eat healthy, and I've been one of those also.
    BTW - chips are generally fried in vegetable oil because its the cheapest.

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
    <=>
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    *snip*

Good habits lead to good health, no specific diet or way of eating automatically leads to good health.

This is the best thing I've ever seen posted here.
  • gchutson
    Options
    I do believe eating no meat or little meat significantly reduces the interior and exterior wear and tear on your body. Plus you are more likely to consume and ENJOY fruit, vegetables, and legumes. For children raised vegetarian, it sets a foundation for life for healthy eating. All of my kids love healthy food, they don't have that distaste for veggies that seems common in American children.

I would never tell anyone they SHOULD be vegetarian, but I do think most people (at least in the states) eat too much meat. You can never go wrong in reducing how much meat you eat, but eating too much meat can actually hurt you.

Scientifically, none of this is true. Vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores all have the same rates of disease and life expectancies. Also, I eat meat, and I've never not enjoyed fruit, vegetables, or legumes. Vegetarian =/= healthy eating, as there are plenty of things that are vegetarian that are not healthy. Oreo cookies, potato chips, french fries, just 3 examples off the top of my head that are considered vegetarian (well, vegan technically.)

And GC, commercial potato chips are fried in canola oil, vegetable oil, or sunflower oil. They stopped using lard decades ago. Sad really, as nutritionally, lard is actually very high in monounsaturated fat, and medium chain triglycerides, the healthy stuff people are spending crazy amounts of money on coconut oil for. :laugh:

Apparently, you've never been to the south. We fry everything in lard. Last night I had chicken-fried ice tea.
This discussion has been closed.