Ladies: Do you accept friend requests from guys on MFP?

Options

Replies

• pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I love getting everyone's perspective on this! Now to respond to some of the remarks I have seen:

As far as having different "genitalia" that has nothing to do with my statement that we are different. I mean different in the sense that men and women lose weight differently. Eveyone knows this it is fact that women have an extra layer of fat for child bearing that men do not have, that among other things makes it a little harder for them to understand a woman's body composition. So I didn't mean different in a sexist way.

All the girls who posted about creepers and jealous bfs and hubbies...honestly hadn't thought about it, but you bring up very valid points. I do happen to have a jealous bf....his problem not mine, but I do try to respect some of his wishes. Not to mention I am here to lose weight not catch a man...lol.

Guys probably can offer better advice with regard to lifting!

I respect all of your opinions...even the few smart *kitten* that replied...lol. Perhaps I will give friending guys some more thought and consideration. :-)
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't for two reasons.

1. I am married and have five sons (plus one daughter) I am around males all of the time and I really want a Girls Only Zone where I can be goofy and perverted, but not seem like I am being sexual or trying to hook up with anyone.

2. My husband does prefer me not to have male friends. He says that he knows how men think and they will try to flirt and hit on me. Now, I had already decided to keep this my girl zone anyway, but I am also doing it because he is my sweetie and if it makes him more comfortable...then that is good!

Your husband sounds like he has trust issues

QFT

You can be goofy and perverted to me, I promise I won't think your being sexual, I pinky swear :wink:
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I hope you do!!!
    8594b93f.jpg

And this is why I love having you as a friend Edwin!!! You are very supporting and motivating!!!! :)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have, if I hadn't I would have lost out on good information and inspiration. I'm married... there's is no reason you can't exert the same self control through the computer that you do in your normal day to day life.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Can't we all just get along???

Cutting off friendship and support with the opposite sex is like cutting off your left foot because it's so different from your right.

People requests accepted here.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yep- esp. if they are sexy a shirtless :love:

I need all the support I can get so yes I do :flowerforyou:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I love getting everyone's perspective on this! Now to respond to some of the remarks I have seen:

As far as having different "genitalia" that has nothing to do with my statement that we are different. I mean different in the sense that men and women lose weight differently. Eveyone knows this it is fact that women have an extra layer of fat for child bearing that men do not have, that among other things makes it a little harder for them to understand a woman's body composition. So I didn't mean different in a sexist way.

All the girls who posted about creepers and jealous bfs and hubbies...honestly hadn't thought about it, but you bring up very valid points. I do happen to have a jealous bf....his problem not mine, but I do try to respect some of his wishes. Not to mention I am here to lose weight not catch a man...lol.

I respect all of your opinions...even the few smart *kitten* that replied...lol. Perhaps I will give friending guys some more thought and consideration. :-)

The basic process of losing weight is for EVERYBODY regardless if they are male or female. Some other factors come into play and get involved like hormones/PCOS, etc but the logistics of eating a calorie deficit under TDEE to lose weight remains the same.

There are guys that offer better advice to both nutrition AND lifting. There are also some women that offer better lifting advice than a lot of men can.

With that being said, the logic behind I don't friend males because "if a man is friending me, he's gonna hit on me" is completely flawed.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do :). There aren't too many that add me, though. As long as they write a message and offer suport and motivation in return for mine, then why not.

I would never add a creeper though... had one weirdo message me the other day for some "fun".. yuck. Told him he was old enough to be my father. He responded "Hope you're not always this uptight" So I said "Not uptight, just not interested :) take a hint".
    BUT for every weirdo on MFP there are at least a dozen great guys that you can learn so much from! :)

I don't think the fact that our bodies are different should really come into the equation - this is about fitness and a male's point of view is just as worthy. I've found the few men on my list to be some of the most honest and helpful. They don't sugarcoat!
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    I do, because its not a matter of flirting or a mater of impressing. Its a matter of "we're all human and we all need motivation, advice and accountability partners sometimes" Both men and women give good advice. Yes, our bodies may be different but at the end of the day, calories are calories, fat is fat and protein is protein. I have found that men know a whole lot about protien and protein packed recipies. Protein is essential even to a woman's diet for strong healthy nails, hair and radiant skin. So yes. I accept men and women equally as my friends.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I DO accept friend requests from guys. Guys are awesome motivators! I need some more! Guys send your requests my way!! I love my MFP Men!! :love:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite people on MFP also have penises. I would have missed out on getting to know them if I based my criteria on what sex they are.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I do.. They are just as supportive if not more at times than the girls..
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I accept requests from anyone, i just think it's nice to have support and be able to help other/have them help me through everything no matter who they are or how much they plan on losing, i do delete some people if they haven't been on in a really long time though.

My husband tends to be jealous so i make sure i tell him if i have added a male friend, and i had a discussion with him about how him talking to girls at work doesn't bother me so why should having someone tell me i had a good workout etc. bother him so he understands a little better now but he says that as long as i'm not talking to them more than any of the girl friends i have he can learn to be ok with it, and i tell him everything so he has never had a reason not to trust me.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    So, let me get this straight ...adding women-only keeps the flirting down? That certainly hasn't been my experience!

I didn't realize that sending a FR was an invitation to a sexual encounter. I have some RSVPs to send.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    So, let me get this straight ...adding women-only keeps the flirting down? That certainly hasn't been my experience!

I didn't realize that sending a FR was an invitation to a sexual encounter. I have some RSVPs to send.

Did I make the list? aww shoot I'm doing it again!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just feel like men and women's bodies are way too different for me to be accepting requests from the opposite sex.

I respect your choice but I don't understand your reasoning if I am being honest.

Knowledge is gender neutral. It is akin to me saying that I would only go to a male doctor because a woman doctor couldn't treat me properly as our bodies are different.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why not?

I'm here to lose weight, they're here to lose weight.
    I like friends.
    Why discriminate because they have a wiener.
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    mmmm no way! I accept! A few of my best friends on here and biggest supporters are guys.

plus there are other benefits.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

My profile is private, but one of my "bullet points" in my About Me is that "I flirt blatantly and indiscriminately with men, women, and scary clowns."

It keeps life interesting.

I'm serious about being healthy, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun, too!
  • DangerSass
    DangerSass Posts: 124 Member
    Options

The basic process of losing weight is for EVERYBODY regardless if they are male or female. Some other factors come into play and get involved like hormones/PCOS, etc but the logistics of eating a calorie deficit under TDEE to lose weight remains the same.

There are guys that offer better advice to both nutrition AND lifting. There are also some women that offer better lifting advice than a lot of men can.

With that being said, the logic behind I don't friend males because "if a man is friending me, he's gonna hit on me" is completely flawed.

^ Get some of the best advice and encouragement from this guy right here. Heck, I even bleed for him:smile: