Carbs + Fat = FAT!!

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm participating in a 60-day challenge at the gym I go to and I'm just sharing some of the knowledge that the trainer / body builder with 20+ years experience is sharing with us.

I guess that would explain why the information seems to be 20 years out of date.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm participating in a 60-day challenge at the gym I go to and I'm just sharing some of the knowledge that the trainer / body builder with 20+ years experience is sharing with us.

I would no sooner take nutrition advice from a trainer / body builder than I would take body building advice from a nutritionist.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I dated several body builders/personal trainers. The last thing I dated them for was their smarts, because they didn't have any :tongue:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

That's not knowledge, it's a load of poo! There is nothing, absolutely nothing, in any scientific literature to even remotely support that.

Personally, I can't remember a time when I have not eaten after 6:00 PM, and my highest weight (when not pregnant/breastfeeding) was 123 lbs. As of this morning, it's 113.5. And I just polished off some chocolate bread pudding.
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    a personal trainer explained me that is not about the calories, is that carbs take longer to metabolize/ burn and if you are not going to workout that carbs will storage in fat. To me, it makes sense.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    a personal trainer explained me that is not about the calories, is that carbs take longer to metabolize/ burn and if you are not going to workout that carbs will storage in fat. To me, it makes sense.

You're correct but there's a lot of resistance to that here for some reason.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

You're correct but there's a lot of resistance to that here for some reason.

because its not true....
  • belinus
    Options
    An advice for night shift workers????

Just do the opposite. Cut down on your carbs as morning comes. It's not so much a day/night thing as it is an activity level thing. Eat more carbs when you're more active is all and less when you're not.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

How is someone who is eating at a deficit going to store anything?
  • belinus
    Options

Because your body can only use so much at any given time. If its needs are met, then it stores. The idea of a caloric deficit is you force your body to use other sources for energy. If you eat your 1500 or whatever amount this site prescribes for you a day in one sitting, that it is just going to hang out in the blood stream all day being used as the day progresses? No, it's going to be stored as fat once the glucose and glycogen needs are taken care of.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Because your body can only use so much at any given time. If its needs are met, then it stores. The idea of a caloric deficit is you force your body to use other sources for energy. If you eat your 1500 or whatever amount this site prescribes for you a day in one sitting, that it is just going to hang out in the blood stream all day being used as the day progresses? No, it's going to be stored as fat once the glucose and glycogen needs are taken care of.

dude...no offense but you really dont know what you are talking about. you seem to be stuck on this theme and your information is all wrong. do some research...you are starting to look a bit foolish...no offense, really
  • belinus
    Options
    dude...no offense but you really dont know what you are talking about. you seem to be stuck on this theme and your information is all wrong. do some research...you are starting to look a bit foolish...no offense, really

Your body converts energy not used immediately into triglycerides, which are transported to and stored in fat cells. Although dietary fats take the form of triglycerides in food and in your body, calories from carbohydrates and proteins are also converted to triglycerides for storage.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/416664-how-does-your-body-store-excess-calories/#ixzz1yIafUEp5
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Your body converts energy not used immediately into triglycerides, which are transported to and stored in fat cells. Although dietary fats take the form of triglycerides in food and in your body, calories from carbohydrates and proteins are also converted to triglycerides for storage.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/416664-how-does-your-body-store-excess-calories/#ixzz1yIafUEp5

that is about EXCESS calories. not a caloric deficit
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And what exactly does your body use when its at a deficit? Or does it stop working?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Exactly. Your body is storing AND BURNING fat 24 hours a day. It is a constant process. Yes, if you eat 1500 calories in one meal the body will store what it doesn't need as fat in the short term, but over a 24 hour period it will burn all of it off plus however much else it needs to make up the caloric deficit.

It's really not a difficult concept to grasp. At least, it shouldn't be.

If you deposit $100 in your bank account but need to pay a $200 bill, your account doesn't magically get to keep that $100 you put in, it gets spent either way.
  • miss_lizz
    miss_lizz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    totally NOT TRUE. calories in vs calories out, i could eat a whole wheat roll full of like 30g of carbs every nite before bed, and if it fits in with my calorie intake for that day, my body isnt going to gain a damn thing. MAYBE alittle water weight from the carbs.... and ill pee it out after i exercise
  • belinus
    Options

Note the article says "energy not used immediately into triglycerides, which are transported to and stored in fat cells" This happens irregardless of an overall caloric deficit. Yes, you will most likely burn those stores the next day as fat works on a LIFO system, but that is a moot point as the issue was specifically more carbs during a period of day prior to sleep where, generally, people are less active.

If you have insulin in your system when you go to bed, you are inhibiting HGH secretion at night. HGH and insulin do not get along with each other so when one is present, you will not find the other. HGH gets secreted at night during deep sleep and has an insulin-like friend that comes with it that regulates metabolism, estrogen, testosterone, etc. A lack of hgh also is associated with "belly fat". (http://www.livestrong.com/article/498071-how-eating-carbs-at-night-affects-the-growth-hormone/)

It's not about "weight gain" versus "weight loss". Nor is it the "carbs are bad" thing either. Caloric deficits in and of themselves will drive weight loss. I just prefer mine to be driven more by lipolysis and not have it be catabolic hence I will make my final meal of the evening protein (string cheese and cottage cheese are two good foods for that) and no carbs.

And on that note, I am exiting this discussion.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    First of all, Livestrong is not a credible source of information. Second, insulin actually prevents catabolism (it is an anabolic hormone, after all.) Third, insulin does not inhibit release of hgh, Hyperglycemia does, which is a very specific medical condition, not just "having insulin in your system."

Insulin, HGH, and IGF-1 all work together to build and maintain muscle mass.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    First of all, Livestrong is not a credible source of information. Second, insulin actually prevents catabolism (it is an anabolic hormone, after all.) Third, insulin does not inhibit release of hgh, Hyperglycemia does, which is a very specific medical condition, not just "having insulin in your system."

Insulin, HGH, and IGF-1 all work together to build and maintain muscle mass.
    PAH, you and your science. We all know that carbs are evil, because cave men never ate them, and they were way healthier than modern people! Also, I heard it on Dr. Oz.
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    Faker than the girls on my Facebook friends list.

Haha!

This can't be true, I eat carbs all the time after 6pm, sometimes even in bed! (gasp!) And I am not fat.

I plan to eat a crap ton (yes, this is a unit of measurement) of carbs on Friday, even after 6pm.

Drink your carbs, you mean?
    Beer = carbs, right?