size 16/18 unsexy?

Replies

• londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    wow Ann Summers...that shop sells sexy underwear and toys and nothing else!!....She must have been new or something to say such a stupid thing. I'm sure she will get in a lot of trouble and hopefully they will compensate you with some vouchers or goodies ! :D

btw they had a size 16 model from a real women modelling competition
    http://www. thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4056556/Ann-Summers-news-Plus-size-model-is-new-face-of-lingerie-firm.html
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Thanks everyone, it really means alot to me that you're cheering me up. I told my boyfriend and hes furious and is going to write a letter for me.
    Needless to say I wont be shopping there again!

Thanks again everyone.

This is whats MFP is about NOT just calories BUT support too
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    In her own awkward, insensitive way, she was just speaking the truth as she sees it.
    That's why we're here losing weight.
    Just let it go and move on, knowing that you are doing what you need to do for your health.
    Stupid people will say stupid things.
    We're bigger than that.

That's not why I'm here. It's not why I'm losing weight. I'm sexy now. It's not about appearance for me.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    I might have queried that, if she felt a size 16/18 was unsexy, why stock a size 20? Beyond that I wouldn't concern myself. She blurted out a stupid comment that really doesn't make sense. It's not worth getting upset over, it's one person's opinion and, as anybody who has ever interacted with anybody else knows - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Forget it and move on. Don't get upset and give it credence that it doesn't have. You're stronger than that and this was really rather trivial if annoying and a bit of a jibe.... Rise above it and say to yourself, "I never did mind about the little things...". :bigsmile:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    You need to talk to a manager. This was a poor sales person who needs some training. It would be a kindness to the store to let them know which employee needs a training session in how to deal with customers.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    I won't shop at Victoria's Secret, no matter what my size ends up, because they told me very specifically that while they may carry certain sizes online, they don't want 'those people' shopping in their store. They told me their policy was to never carry anything bigger than a size Large. Yeah, way to make me feel like pooey and losing a customer for a lifetime!

The Victoria's Secret stores nea rme (in GA) carry XL, it is very limited but they do carry it in most things, and big bra sizes too. It's horrible the way "customer service reps" treat customers now days :/
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    "SEXY"....is a state of mind hunne....not a size! I have been ALL sizes...from a 9 to a 24 and I WAS ALWAYS SEXY....AT EVERY SIZE!!! I have had the skinny women and men tell me I am the sexiest woman they've ever seen....It isn't my size...It's my confidence and the way I carry myself. SEXY is something that is a part of the core and fabric of WHO I am. I wish every woman felt sexy and knew in their souls that they are....with make-up, with out it...dolled up or not...sweatpants or a wedding dress...it doesn't matter....SEXY is in your SOUL!

That woman who did that....she doesn't know.....she is a product of society and what it dictates....I AM NOT.....and I hope you choose NOT to be too hunne!

Be strong, Chin Up and keep buying those gorgeous bras and panties and whatever else makes you feel "SEXY"

:drinker:
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    curves rock!
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Thanks everyone, it really means alot to me that you're cheering me up. I told my boyfriend and hes furious and is going to write a letter for me.

Thanks again everyone.

Really? Write your OWN letter of complaint if you want to. I think you're making a huge fuss about something that should be of no consequence to your life. I'm not much fond of this phrase but please, put on your big girl pants and sort this out like an adult who can handle their own letters of complaint. :noway:
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    ]I'd be willing to bet her words mirrored the store policy. Again, we're here to lose the fat - not fight the world for just saying what 99.9% of fit people think of our obesity. People are thoughtless at times, and some can be very mean about it.
    And it's 500% harder on the ladies, so what do I really know?
    Men get a pass for some reason.

Careful in your assumptions, not everyone on here is "obese." And there are a lot of people who are considered "normal" who are looking to loose body fat or tone-up....

The highest I have worn is a US 14, and while slightly overweight for my height, I have NEVER been Obese... and I would bet that many women in here are similar.

Assumptions wont get you very far...

You are very right. I have one stone left to lose and I am still a UK size 16-18 bottom but a size 8-10 on top. Even when I lose this stone, I will probably be a size 16 still on bottom or close to that. I have just had a Inbody test and I am only very slightly over in regards to fitness. I can guarantee you that MANY men and women find me sexy at the size I am now. You can have, what some would call, a gorgeous body but very very unfit and have the same overall mortality rate of a very obese unfit person. Also, you can be very skinny but be very unattractive, does that mean that if you went to a store and asked for make up they would be allowed to say no, you can't have that, because you are too ugly?

The store person got her words wrong and when you work in retail, there is no room for that. I deal with customers in my business every day adn you have to be very careful with what you say, no matter what your opinion is, She was acting on behalf of the store, not her own opinion and I can safely say that shareholders would not agree with her as all they want is your money.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    I would have talked to the manager and said "I guess my money isn't sexy enough for your store"
  • what an asshat to say that.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member

Thanks again everyone.

Really? Write your OWN letter of complaint if you want to. I think you're making a huge fuss about something that should be of no consequence to your life. I'm not much fond of this phrase but please, put on your big girl pants and sort this out like an adult who can handle their own letters of complaint. :noway:

No consequence? So when someone upsets you, it is of no consequence? Heartless thinking.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    the last time i asked if they had my size the clerk told me to take my sister to th jr's dept.:cry::mad: :cry:
    now if i dont see it i leave
  • amysuespears
    amysuespears Posts: 127
    I cant believe she flat out said that. Its one thing to say "we dont get many in that size because the demand isnt as high" but "not as sexy". What the crap? Supply and demand makes sense. Her personal opinon about sexy is rude.

^This.
  • antiwings
    antiwings Posts: 34

Thanks again everyone.

I would, but hes more literate then I am. If I wrote it I don;t think they would take it seriously
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    In her own awkward, insensitive way, she was just speaking the truth as she sees it.
    That's why we're here losing weight.
    Just let it go and move on, knowing that you are doing what you need to do for your health.
    Stupid people will say stupid things.
    We're bigger than that.

It isn't her job to speak her opinion. It is her job to get the customer the product. End of story.

EXACTLY if she was asked what she thought then that's fair enough put she was asked why, and the answer cis there not sexy is crap as, 1) sexy is a varied opinion 2) they had size 20,do it shows the flaws in the reasoning.

People like that get me soooooo mad.

Believe it or not, LOTS of people don't find plus size people sexy. Maybe that IS the reason they don't stock it.

Would it have been better and the OP less offended if the sales lady had used a euphemism? "I'm sorry, we don't carry HUSKY sizes... PLUS sizes... sizes for those more girth impaired (or non impaired, as the case may be?)

Sounds like a case of butthurtery, and while I understand that since I am a large lady myself, I cannot fathom trying to get someone fired over a stupid comment. How old are we here?

Believe it or not, LOTS of people DO find it sexy, too! For instance, I DO! Why is your opinion somehow more valid than mine?

A sales person's job is to SELL STUFF! You do that by making people feel good about how they'd feel if they bought it! If she makes me feel bad about how I'd feel in their clothing, I won't BUY IT! That is BAD for the store, believe it or not! It's not about butthurt, it's about someone who is really crappy at their job. She made a conscious choice to make a customer feel bad rather than sell that customer something she can clearly get. That is the definition of a crappy sales person.
  • DippyDoDar
    DippyDoDar Posts: 11
    What the sales assistant said was absolutely stupid! EVERY body is beautiful. Size 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22. How can a number define what's sexy? I'm a uk size 16 and find this absolutely horrible to see! I would of told her to foxtrot oscar!
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    I lost 105 pounds about 8.5 years ago and was around a 16/18. I felt pretty damn sassy! lol Then I went into a Victoria's Secret and asked for a 38D bra. The clerk said, "We don't carry them that big." I was like WTH?! I turned around and walked out. Even when I re-lose all the weight I gained back and then some, I don't know that I'll ever buy anything from them.

I had a similar experience with Victoria's Secret. I asked if they carried XL panties and they were like, "Um....no. But you can squeeze into a large if you want." No. I don't squeeze into nothing. I see they have larger sizes on their website but I guess I'm just wary about ordering that stuff online.

VS carries 38D. They also carry XL panties, I used to wear them. It sounds like you both experienced idiot sales clerks.

Can't remember if I got them online or not though, I do a lot of shopping online and VS is one of the top places I shop (clothes, swimsuits, shoes, lingerie, everything).

I would say the clerks in all these situations were (at minimum) thoughtless, even though they probably didn't really mean anything by what was said (at least I hope not).

=/ I know that clerk had no idea what I went through to lose 105 pounds, and how her words (yes, even from a stranger) affected me, but I spent over 20 years in retail and food service, and still work with the public today in my current job of 5 years. We must always try be mindful what we say because we never know the situation someone may be experiencing. And, I suppose in a way she helped me realize how big an effect what we say can affect someone, so I should thank her for that.

Love your profile pic, btw! :smile:
  • Miss_Ever55
    Miss_Ever55 Posts: 14 Member
    16/18 can defiantly be sexy!!!! Was the sales assistant just some shallow barbie? If she felt she had to be a b***h to feel good about her self then she obviously has major issues! Some of the sexiest women in history were that size!! For example, when Kate Winslet was in titanic she was a size 14 and they filmed her naked! so there! Skinny girls are just kranky cause they need food, sadly all they drink is b***h juice ;)

Your gorgeous !! Real women are all different shapes and sizes and we all rule!