for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I just restarted week 5 again...it wasn't as hard as last time, but I could tell I hadn't been keeping up with it faithfully! :laugh:

And yes, you can walk or do another exercise on the day off. I think the general rule of thumb is not to work the same body part on consecutive days.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I finished w5d1 last night. WOOHOO!!!!!! I'M A RUNNING FOOL I TELL YA!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was looking at the schedule and seeing 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes so I'm thinking I'm running three 5 minute runs and two 3 minute runs. It wasn't until I was on my last 5 minute run that I realized the 3 minutes were my walks. :blushing: Silly me! :bigsmile: I was thinking I had skipped ahead or something until I figured it out.

I had almost started walking before I finished each of the first two 5 minute runs but I just keep pushing on until I finished. After I was all done, I thought to myself, that wasn't so bad after all. :laugh:

I'm still in awe that I'm actually doing this! This is so exciting! Keep up the good work everyone. We're all running fools! :laugh: :laugh:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    congrats mommared!!!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I finished w5d1 last night. WOOHOO!!!!!! I'M A RUNNING FOOL I TELL YA!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was looking at the schedule and seeing 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes so I'm thinking I'm running three 5 minute runs and two 3 minute runs. It wasn't until I was on my last 5 minute run that I realized the 3 minutes were my walks. :blushing: Silly me! :bigsmile: I was thinking I had skipped ahead or something until I figured it out.

I had almost started walking before I finished each of the first two 5 minute runs but I just keep pushing on until I finished. After I was all done, I thought to myself, that wasn't so bad after all. :laugh:

I'm still in awe that I'm actually doing this! This is so exciting! Keep up the good work everyone. We're all running fools! :laugh: :laugh:

I love it :laugh:

Sincerely, Another Running Fool.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I finished w5d2 tonight. Can't believe I actually ran two 8 minute runs!! HOLY COW!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: It was tough but I made it. I'm going to download some songs that I like on my i-pod that equals 20 minutes worth of music for w5d3. I think it will help me keep my mind off the time better if I can sing along in my head to the songs.

I hope everyone else did good on their runs. Keep it up. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Mommared - that's a good idea... I attempted it today (Week 5, day 3) and had to take a short walk break in between. I did 10 minutes, walked for 2 1/2 minutes, then ran 10 more. Still, not bad!

I'm going to repeat it - I want to feel like I'm really comfortable with it before moving on to the next week. I think I'm going to follow your lead and use my own music - hopefully that will help a lot!

Good luck to you all - let's keep going!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    started week 8 yesterday! 28 minute run.... it was a killer, I was the sweatiest I think I've ever been :laugh:

but it was great! how's everyone else doing??
  • mommared53
    Options
    I was looking at the schedule and it seems to me some of the days for weeks 5 and 6 are out of order. I'm seriously thinking about doing w6d2 (jog 10 min; walk 3 min; jog 10min) tomorrow then try w5d3 (jog 20 min) on Thursday and just skipping w6d1 (jog 5 min; walk 3 min; jog 8 min; walk 3 min; jog 5 min.) altogether. What does everyone else think about it?

Betty
  • toots99
    Options
    I did it! I did it! I did the 20 minute run on w5d2. It took me forever to be able to do it, but I did it. I got on the treadmill and just started running...ran 13 minutes. Then I needed a potty break, but I got back on and did another 20 minutes (though I took only two 1 minute breaks but added 2 running minutes at the end)!!!! It was such a great feeling! That's the longest I've run in about 2 years. It was tough, and I was soaked by the time I was done, but it was great.

Has anyone else noticed that after running, you're not at all hungry? On Friday, I wasn't hungry for hours after!

Yay for all of us! :flowerforyou:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Mommared53 said:
    I was looking at the schedule and it seems to me some of the days for weeks 5 and 6 are out of order. I'm seriously thinking about doing w6d2 (jog 10 min; walk 3 min; jog 10min) tomorrow then try w5d3 (jog 20 min) on Thursday and just skipping w6d1 (jog 5 min; walk 3 min; jog 8 min; walk 3 min; jog 5 min.) altogether. What does everyone else think about it?

I agree with you. I'm not sure why it seems to backtrack so drastically between the end of week 5 and the beginning of week 6. Perhaps there is a reason for it that I'm don't understand though.

it just seems like if you are able to do the full 20 minute run, breaking it into 10 minutes seems better than going back to 5 and 8. *shrug*

Then Toots99 said:
    Has anyone else noticed that after running, you're not at all hungry? On Friday, I wasn't hungry for hours after!

Yes! I love that! It's an added bonus to running!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I have noticed I'm not hungry after running, which is a problem, because I run at night, I don't want to eat dinner before I run because then I just feel awful, but then when I'm done I don't want to eat because I don't feel hungry, so I end up eating too late in the evening. I've been trying to eat a heavier lunch on the days I'll run so I don't have to eat so much at night, seems to be working ok.

Great to hear from all of you on your successes. I stepped back from the program for a few days as my hip was hurting, I've just been running as I feel I can, usually 3-5 minutes at a time, going a total distance of 4 miles. I think I'm about mended and will start hitting it more again this week.
  • toots99
    Options
    My problem about not being hungry is that I run at about noon, then I'm home in time for lunch (for which I'm not hungry) then I go to work (at a restaurant no less!) I have been bringing dinner to work (I eat at about 7-8PM, when I still have an hour or two of work left.) But by like 6PM, I'm ravenous! I end up eating dinner too early, then I'm starving at like 9PM. :laugh:

So what do I do? I make myself eat lunch, even if I'm not hungry. I never thought I'd have to force myself to eat. :laugh:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Ok, I think I'm going to try the 20 minute run tonight. My daughter said she kept on the schedule so I'm going to give it a try. I downloaded some songs that I really like so hopefully they'll keep me motivated to keep going. I'll post how it went when I get back from running.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT! I ran for 20 minutes! I paused 3 times in between songs long enough to take a sip of water but other than that, I ran the whole 20 minutes! I am so excited! I hope everyone is still running. Keep it up. Next run is going to be a cinch. :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Wow! 20 minutes is amazing!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Wooooo-hooooooooooo! I did it , I did it, I did it! 20 minutes straight, no stopping! :) Just like you, mommared and amylynne - woooooooooooooooo-hoooooooooooo!!!!!

This is awesome! It felt so awesome to complete it I almost want to do it AGAIN before moving on to week 6! Hehehehe!
  • toots99
    Options
    That's at least 3 "I did it"s over the last few days! Yay for all of us! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Smiles, I'm so happy and excited for you! I'm so glad you did it too! What a great feeling! Days 1 and 2 of week 6 are going to be a cinch. Way to go! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Betty
  • mommared53
    Options
    That's at least 3 "I did it"s over the last few days! Yay for all of us! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

Yes, yay for all of us. We are all going a fantastic job. I'm so proud of all of us! :flowerforyou: :happy: :drinker:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ok....so I did W6D3 today. I ran the 25 minute run and only took one walking break for 60 seconds at the 10 minute mark becuase my calves were starting to cramp up so I streched them out but then I picked up the pace again! I feel so good now (except my legs are all sore now and I have to stand for 6 hrs at work lol)

Either way, Im feeling pretty good! Way to go Smiles!! It feels so good to finish these long runs doesnt it! Im so impressed with the no stopping thing! Thats totally AMAZING!!!