for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I started this with my mom a couple of months ago and after a few wks of stopping/starting yesterday I finished Week 5... which means that I ran for TWENTY MINUTES STRAIGHT.

When I first started I couldn't run 60 seconds without wanting to throw up.

TWENTY MINUTES. I ran slow but I RAN! I was so overwhelmed I actually cried a little when I was doing my cool down walk.

Oh and the 10 inches I've lost hasn't hurt either. :laugh:

I did W5D1, and lived through it. Then W5D2 bumps it from 8 to 20 minutes! That's quite a jump. I'm going to give it a try today, though,
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know. Amylynne26 started a new job yesterday so if she doesn't post right away, that's why.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    In my book THIS IS A MUST for this program... http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/files/category-7.html

Go download these free podcasts! I listen to them on my Blackberry - don't have an I-anything, so don't let that stop you!

I started this last Spring and got through week 4 - I was intimidated by week 5 so I stopped. A few weeks ago I started again - I finished week 5 a week ago last Saturday.

I was so amazed I made it through the 20 minute run! I even ran and extra minute to prove I could!

In the earlier weeks I was running around 4.5 mph on the runs - for the 20 minute run, I slowed it down to 3.8 to make sure I was successful. I'll be picking the pace back up now.

So yes, it works! I haven't run since, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread... need to get back out there and press on! I download weeks 7-9 this morning so I'm ready to take it the rest of the way!

I have a 5k run in October - did it last year in 58 minutes (run/walk), so I know I can do it - I'd like to get it done in 45 or less
  • mommared53
    Options
    In my book THIS IS A MUST for this program... http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/files/category-7.html

Go download these free podcasts! I listen to them on my Blackberry - don't have an I-anything, so don't let that stop you!

I started this last Spring and got through week 4 - I was intimidated by week 5 so I stopped. A few weeks ago I started again - I finished week 5 a week ago last Saturday.

I was so amazed I made it through the 20 minute run! I even ran and extra minute to prove I could!

In the earlier weeks I was running around 4.5 mph on the runs - for the 20 minute run, I slowed it down to 3.8 to make sure I was successful. I'll be picking the pace back up now.

So yes, it works! I haven't run since, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread... need to get back out there and press on! I download weeks 7-9 this morning so I'm ready to take it the rest of the way!

I have a 5k run in October - did it last year in 58 minutes (run/walk), so I know I can do it - I'd like to get it done in 45 or less

Good for you! I'm hoping to do a 5K sometime later this year or maybe early spring of next year. I'll have to see how my training goes. I have a Christian podcast that my daughter found. I don't remember which one it is. My daughter downloaded the whole 9 weeks on my Ipod. The podcasts are a big help. Good luck and thanks for posting. :flowerforyou:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    :smile: If you don't feel comfortable running then walk, which is just as good for you but not as hard on the inside female parts as running! :smile:

Huh? Running hurts my KNEES but not my girl parts. Is it bad for girl parts????? :huh:
  • jbunzsno
    jbunzsno Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :smile: If you don't feel comfortable running then walk, which is just as good for you but not as hard on the inside female parts as running! :smile:

Huh? Running hurts my KNEES but not my girl parts. Is it bad for girl parts????? :huh:

I was wondering the same thing. If anything...it helps my TOM. My cramps aren't as bad as they used to be.
  • mommared53
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I'm scared! I was just looking at week 5! There's no way I'm going to be able to do week 5!! Granted I still have two more days of week 4, but week 5 scares me. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I'm scared! I was just looking at week 5! There's no way I'm going to be able to do week 5!! Granted I still have two more days of week 4, but week 5 scares me. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

You will be able to do it!!!! think how far you have already come :)
  • mommared53
    Options

You will be able to do it!!!! think how far you have already come :)

Ok, I just need to quit looking that far ahead. I need to just concentrate on Thursday. but SHUDDER!! :laugh: Thank you for your confidence m2k.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just finished W5D1 and if I can do it you sure can....you are a rock star!!! You are always so positve and awesome and you will most definately succeed in week 5 momma red!!!!

I found the last 5 minutes really hard but i walked for 20 seconds and after that i went back to running again! it was awesome to feel like I was invinceible for that short time period he he!!!\

good luck :)
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Tonight I repeated Week 5 day 1 - I like the 5 minute run time. However I did keep going after the program was done and did two more 3 minute runs and a 5 minute run, so I almost did it twice. I wasn't ready to go to the 8 minutes yet so thought this a good compromise. I really do love running, although for the first time in this program my shins are tender, going to have to see what I can do about that...
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well went back to work yesterday after a 6 month "vacation". lol I was SO tempted to call off running last night (week 7 day 2) but I went anyway!!! Yay!!! My hip is bothering me so I had to walk for a couple of minutes in my 25 min. run but I made it mostly! :laugh:

Everyone keep it up!!!! I love checking this thread and seeing how far everyone has come!
  • mommared53
    Options
    Maddie, thank you so much. That's such a sweet thing for you to post. Now I have to do week 5, I have a reputation to uphold. :laugh:

M2k, great job! I'm impressed. You go girl! :flowerforyou:

Amy, I hope your hip gets better real soon. Like you always say, "ice it". :laugh:

Good luck everyone! We're all doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Week 4, Day 2 done - WOW - that was hard! And yet, I DID IT!!!! Am super sweaty and red faced right now - recovering. Got the correct week 4 podcast, so it was my first time doing the whole thing right.

Glad you all are here - helps to have peeps to report in to. Now, off to work!
  • mommared53
    Options
    Good job Smiles! That is hard. So glad you made it. :flowerforyou: I'll be doing w4d2 tonight. I hope it's not raining. Keep up the good work, you're doing great. :happy:
  • I lost 52 pounds doing the c25k, eating healthier, and then continuing to run after I finished that program. I can't recommend it enough!!!
  • mommared53
    Options
    I'm hoping this program will knock me off my plateau I've been on for it seems like months. Good job LandBsdotingchauffeur. :flowerforyou:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Im so happy to hear people having weight loss success on this program. i need to lose a bunch of weight before my wedding next september and I have entered a 5km race for the end of next month so I am hoping against hope I can get through this :)
  • mommared53
    Options
    Well, I didn't do my jogging last night because my jogging partner had an achy knee so we'll do it tonight instead. I so wanted to jog last night anyway but I refrained from it so Amy and I and hopefully her hubby can do this together. I still kind of wished I had went anyway. :ohwell: I'll let you all know how it went.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't do my jogging last night because my jogging partner had an achy knee so we'll do it tonight instead. I so wanted to jog last night anyway but I refrained from it so Amy and I and hopefully her hubby can do this together. I still kind of wished I had went anyway. :ohwell: I'll let you all know how it went.

For the first time in my life I have said no to waiting for others. :) I started the program, and someone wanted me to start over so they could do it too, and I declined. I was as proud of myself for that as I was for running!!!

It's honestly okay to say "Okay I'll see you in a couple of days then" If you're only going 3 days a week there are days for others to 'catch up'.

In any case, it's good that you are doing this, just don't let anyone derail you!