for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I finished day 2 of week 3. It wasn't as bad as day 1. Saturday, day 3 and I think I'll be ready to move on to week 4 next Tuesday.

Amy, I may be running the 5K in November with you after all. X X <--- fingers crossed. :happy:

Good luck and congratulations everyone. Keep it up cause we can do this. :flowerforyou:

Mommared - I just finished week 3 today and moving on to week 4 - starting Tuesday..... I'll look forward to your post - good luck - we all got your back! :)
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Did week 2 day 1 last night and it was easier than last week. I think I was just pumped and I got plenty of rest the night before. (Alyssa slept in which means I did too!)

I felt great running. I am running in very old shoes and I know I need to get new ones. I looked online for prices of good running shoes. Holy cow! Maybe for my birthday at the end of September.... seems like a long time to run in crappy shoes.

I heard something yesterday that has been bugging me ever since. I was shopping at a store that is next door to a gym. A girl in workout clothes says to her friend "running is the worst way to lose weight" I know that it is not the BEST way but the WORST?!?! Am I going to lose weight by doing this or is it going to hinder my weight loss? I am not going to stop running but I want to know how it is so bad for weight loss.Sorry ladies, it is just bugging me. :blushing:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I finished day 2 of week 3. It wasn't as bad as day 1. Saturday, day 3 and I think I'll be ready to move on to week 4 next Tuesday.

Amy, I may be running the 5K in November with you after all. X X <--- fingers crossed. :happy:

Good luck and congratulations everyone. Keep it up cause we can do this. :flowerforyou:

Mommared - I just finished week 3 today and moving on to week 4 - starting Tuesday..... I'll look forward to your post - good luck - we all got your back! :)

Oh thank you so much! That's so sweet of you. I'll be thinking of you when I'm running knowing you're on the same day. I'll pretend we're running together and cheering each other on. :laugh: This going to be tough but I know we can do it.

Loren, you can do that three minute run. It was tough for me but I just keep pushing on and finally Chris told me I did it. I seriously thought I was going to have to start walking but I just kept going and I did it. You can too. The second three minute run wasn't quite as bad as the first. Let us know how you did. I have faith in you girl. :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Did week 2 day 1 last night and it was easier than last week. I think I was just pumped and I got plenty of rest the night before. (Alyssa slept in which means I did too!)

I felt great running. I am running in very old shoes and I know I need to get new ones. I looked online for prices of good running shoes. Holy cow! Maybe for my birthday at the end of September.... seems like a long time to run in crappy shoes.

I heard something yesterday that has been bugging me ever since. I was shopping at a store that is next door to a gym. A girl in workout clothes says to her friend "running is the worst way to lose weight" I know that it is not the BEST way but the WORST?!?! Am I going to lose weight by doing this or is it going to hinder my weight loss? I am not going to stop running but I want to know how it is so bad for weight loss.Sorry ladies, it is just bugging me. :blushing:

I've never heard that before. Hopefully someone will respond. I'd like to lose at least 9 more pounds and I've been on a plateau for a while now, but I don't want stop running either.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.

She doesn't know what she's talking about. :laugh:

No seriously... I have always heard that running is one of the BEST ways to lose weight. I suppose any kind of cardio would work but I have no idea what would give her that idea.... I can also say that with all the gym memberships, videos, classes, etc. etc. etc. that I've tried over the years running has given me the BEST results so far. And remember you lost 4 pounds!!!! :drinker:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    There is no way running is the worst.

I read somewhere that it is the activity that our bodies adapt to the easiest as it is a natural movement.

It must, of course, be coupled with a healthy diet to see results. Here is a good article I found about it.

http://www.therunnersguide.com/loseweightrunning/
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    I think it is pretty much just what is good for you. Running is going to put some muscle on you, but I wouldn't say it's the worst. No matter what work out you do or how much you do it, the only key to losing weight is burning more calories that you take in. I don't know why some people eat back their work out calories you have to burn 3500 more than you take in to lose 1 lb. Here's a good article: http://runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-5903-0,00.html
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I feel 10x's better after I read those articles. I don't know why I was so upset about it. Even if I don't lose a ton of weight I know that running will do wonderful things for my body. I am really stoked about my next run tomorrow. You guys are the best!:heart:
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Just finished w5d1 - Loved it!!! Feels so good to just keep getting more endurance. This was three 5 minute runs with 3 minute recoveries. Wednesday will be two 8 minute runs - can I do it? I say YES!!!
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just finished w5d1 - Loved it!!! Feels so good to just keep getting more endurance. This was three 5 minute runs with 3 minute recoveries. Wednesday will be two 8 minute runs - can I do it? I say YES!!!

yes you can!! :happy: and report back to us when you're finished!!! :flowerforyou:
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    I wish I was feeling as great as you ladies. :frown:

I completed W3D1 tonight and I hated every minute of it haha. I did complete it though! It wasn't too hard. Hopefully it will get even easier for me and I can really enjoy it. Right now I'm feeling doubtful.
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Just finished week 2 day 2.....

Too tired to type anything else......

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Started the Couch to 5k today and honestly, it was harder than I thought!! I did it with a friend that is younger, could stand to lose maybe just 10 lbs, and she's taller. We walked for about a total of 30 minutes but I could only get through 4 rounds of the 60 second jog. Part of it is that she walks & jogs much faster than I do!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Week 4, Day 1 done! Just a heads up for those using Suz' podcast - she didn't have time to do vocal cues on week 4, so you're just supposed to alternate running with walking when the songs change. I did it and had a hard time b/c i wasn't sure how long the jogs were going to be (was she going to do it 3 min, 5 min, 3 min, 5 min - or 3, 3, 5, 5?) Turns out - she added in an extra jog segment - so I really have no idea what I did today....

All I know is, it was more than week 3 and it pushed me some - so that's good, right?

Mommared - how's week 4 going?

And to ALL of you - YOU ROCK! LET'S KEEP MOVING!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options

Yes you can!! Can't wait to hear how it goes... will check in for your report. :)
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Started the Couch to 5k today and honestly, it was harder than I thought!! I did it with a friend that is younger, could stand to lose maybe just 10 lbs, and she's taller. We walked for about a total of 30 minutes but I could only get through 4 rounds of the 60 second jog. Part of it is that she walks & jogs much faster than I do!!

yes, that's tough. You need to go at your own pace, even if it's just a little faster than you walk. Honestly I only jog a little faster than I do the walk, but I'm improving, and that's the point of it.

The fact that she's taller is tough too - I'm a couple of inches taller than my daughter and my stride takes me farther so I end up having to slow down a little for her.
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I can't wait to get to my run tonight. Had to take off yesterday, so busy with family committments. I really hate taking a day off from exercise, it makes me feel anxious. Never thought I would be so addicted!!
  • mommared53
    Options
    Week 4, Day 1 done! Just a heads up for those using Suz' podcast - she didn't have time to do vocal cues on week 4, so you're just supposed to alternate running with walking when the songs change. I did it and had a hard time b/c i wasn't sure how long the jogs were going to be (was she going to do it 3 min, 5 min, 3 min, 5 min - or 3, 3, 5, 5?) Turns out - she added in an extra jog segment - so I really have no idea what I did today....

All I know is, it was more than week 3 and it pushed me some - so that's good, right?

Mommared - how's week 4 going?

And to ALL of you - YOU ROCK! LET'S KEEP MOVING!

Congratulations. Yes, I think that's good. I'm glad you got through it. It was a toughy but I got through it. I walked about 2 steps during the first 5 minute jog then forced myself to jog. Then during the second 5 minute jog I had to keep telling myself, "You're almost done. You're almost done. Keep going, you're almost done." :laugh: i just kept pushing on then Chris FINALLY said, "You did it!" WHEW!!! Yes indeedy that was a toughy.

Good job and good luck to everyone. Don't get discouraged. We can do this. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    Options

Don't worry if your friend is faster than you. Go at your own pace. I started this with my daughter and she kind of left me in the dust. :laugh: But that's ok. I had to do week 1 twice before moving on. Keep going. You can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    Options
    I can't wait to get to my run tonight. Had to take off yesterday, so busy with family committments. I really hate taking a day off from exercise, it makes me feel anxious. Never thought I would be so addicted!!

I know what you mean about being addicted. :laugh: I think my son is getting kind of tired of hearing me talk about it all the time. But if I had to miss a day, I'd probably be anxious too. Good luck to you. Let us know how you did. :flowerforyou: