for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options
I started this with my mom a couple of months ago and after a few wks of stopping/starting yesterday I finished Week 5... which means that I ran for TWENTY MINUTES STRAIGHT.

When I first started I couldn't run 60 seconds without wanting to throw up.

TWENTY MINUTES. I ran slow but I RAN! I was so overwhelmed I actually cried a little when I was doing my cool down walk.

Oh and the 10 inches I've lost hasn't hurt either. :laugh:

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    whoo-hoo! great for you! hurray hurray!

thanks for the motivation, i'd like to start this myself.
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    I am so interested in this but I have been really intimidated. I have never been a runner but I have always admired people that run. I felt like they belonged to a secret club that I would never be able to join. How do the podcasts work? I went to the website but I am still confused.
  • PeaceLoveMusicSn
    Options
    I have been wanting to try this but haven't really been brave enough... but I think your story just gave me a really big shove right into starting it....way to go congratulations I hope I can run for 20 minutes straight one day
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: If you don't feel comfortable running then walk, which is just as good for you but not as hard on the inside female parts as running! :smile:
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Awesome:drinker: 10 inches! Congrats! :flowerforyou: Wish that was me.
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    :smile: If you don't feel comfortable running then walk, which is just as good for you but not as hard on the inside female parts as running! :smile:

My female parts are still not back to normal after giving birth 2 months ago! :mad: I still have pain. Do you think it would mess me up if I ran??
  • 4mykids
    4mykids Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's sooo awesome!!!! Good for you!!

I've been wanting to start it for a long time. Just ordered myself a new sports bra (Enell), cause the girls are just too darn big and give me black eyes. I'm waiting for my new bra, but am sooo excited to get started. I've never been a runner in my life, but the people on this site (like you) are so inspiring - I can't wait!!

Thanks for sharing!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I am going to do this someday!! My goal is to be able to run the next Central Arkansas Heart Walk 5K in April next year, so I have to start it sometime before February. I just feel like I need to get a bit more weight off before I try to put my body through the stress of running.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm amylynne26's mom and I was another one who thought I could never run. My son used to try to get me to run (usually to catch a bus or something) and I'd always tell him I can't. Who knew I actually could run!?

Amy is actually a day ahead of schedule. She wasn't supposed to do the full 20 minute run until Thursday. On top of that she completely skipped week three and went to week four. She's always been an over-achiever. :laugh: Of course I wouldn't recommend anyone skipping a week but Amy had been running on her own between weeks two and four.

After we got back on track, I repeated week one and will complete week two on Thursday. I think I'll be ready to progess to week three next week.

Amy even got her husband involved in this program. So to those who have been wanting to run, I say try this program. You can always repeat any week until you feel comfortable enough to move on.

Good luck everyone. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
    I am so interested in this but I have been really intimidated. I have never been a runner but I have always admired people that run. I felt like they belonged to a secret club that I would never be able to join.

holy cow I could have written this... I live just outside Seattle which, for all our gray skies and rain, is like fitness city. People are always out running, with their well behaved dogs and running carved figures... they look so sleek, so strong, so... not me. :tongue: I seriously thought that I could NEVER EVER be part of that exclusive club. I just didn't have whatever gene makes someone a runner. When I first started thinking about the C25K I was terrified that I would look like an idiot and people would be secretly snickering at the chubby girl who doesn't even have proper workout clothes. And trying to run with my dog??? HAHAHAHAHA let's just say we're still working on that....

But my point is that I KNOW exactly how you feel... and to anyone else who just doesn't think they can do it. Make your someday TODAY. Wear 3 sports bras if you have to (I wear 2 lol :blushing: ) I used to think if I could just drop a few more pounds then I wouldn't be so hard on my knees. If I just had the right outfit. If only my pale Irish face didn't get so blasted red everytime I exert myself lol. Forget about it. Use this program to drop those pounds! Run slow, run steady, breathe, and follow the schedule.

YOU CAN DO THIS!:flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

My female parts are still not back to normal after giving birth 2 months ago! :mad: I still have pain. Do you think it would mess me up if I ran??

I think you should wait a little longer to run or jog - but starting walking wouldn't hurt. You should be able to walk at a brisk pace for 20 - 30 mins before starting the couch 2 5K anyway! Congrats on the baby - enjoy!
  • tiff8707
    Options
    Where exactly is this running schedule/program? So I can start also how far do you run?
  • amylynne26
    Options
    Where exactly is this running schedule/program? So I can start also how far do you run?

you can find it at www.coolrunning.com or just google Couch to 5K. You don't have to pay for anything although I guess there's some kind of trainer program you can buy... I just printed out the schedule for free. :smile: There's about a million threads on MFP about this program so you should be able to get any questions answered around here! :happy:

I have only been running for time, though you can do it for distance. I just run on the trail near my house and when I get halfway I turn around. I think last night my 20 minute run was around 1.5 miles.... although I am not sure. I'm slow. lol I've also done it just running around my neighborhood. Some people use a treadmill though the one at my apt. complex never seems to work... :grumble:

Good Luck!
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    :blushing:
    I am so interested in this but I have been really intimidated. I have never been a runner but I have always admired people that run. I felt like they belonged to a secret club that I would never be able to join.

holy cow I could have written this... I live just outside Seattle which, for all our gray skies and rain, is like fitness city. People are always out running, with their well behaved dogs and running carved figures... they look so sleek, so strong, so... not me. :tongue: I seriously thought that I could NEVER EVER be part of that exclusive club. I just didn't have whatever gene makes someone a runner. When I first started thinking about the C25K I was terrified that I would look like an idiot and people would be secretly snickering at the chubby girl who doesn't even have proper workout clothes. And trying to run with my dog??? HAHAHAHAHA let's just say we're still working on that....

But my point is that I KNOW exactly how you feel... and to anyone else who just doesn't think they can do it. Make your someday TODAY. Wear 3 sports bras if you have to (I wear 2 lol :blushing: ) I used to think if I could just drop a few more pounds then I wouldn't be so hard on my knees. If I just had the right outfit. If only my pale Irish face didn't get so blasted red everytime I exert myself lol. Forget about it. Use this program to drop those pounds! Run slow, run steady, breathe, and follow the schedule.

YOU CAN DO THIS!:flowerforyou:

Thank you for the encouragement! I am kind of an 'all or nothing' person. I know if I start I will stick with it but I keep making excuses not. I am going to look into the website and try Day 1 as soon as DH gets home to watch the baby. Hopefully, I will be back here later to tell you how it went!

Thank You :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    For anyone thinking of doing c25k do it! When I started I too could not go 60 seconds. I completed the program 4 months ago and am now to the point that I am racing in a triathlon this weekend.

:drinker:

You have to do it!
  • amylynne26
    Options
    For anyone thinking of doing c25k do it! When I started I too could not go 60 seconds. I completed the program 4 months ago and am now to the point that I am racing in a triathlon this weekend.

:drinker:

You have to do it!

yay you!! That is so awesome.... I love these stories! :happy:
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    I DID IT! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

I felt like I was going to die but I did it!

Thank you for your support:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I am going to be a runner:bigsmile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I DID IT! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

I felt like I was going to die but I did it!

Thank you for your support:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I am going to be a runner:bigsmile:

Congratulations! I'm so proud of you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

btw you have a BEAUTIFUL baby. :flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I am in the "I can't believe I did it group" with all of you trying this program. Never thought I would be a runner, every other time I've tried I hurt after the first run and never tried again. THIS PROGRAM WORKS!!! Don't be afraid to try it. I just finished Week 4 Run 1 and I feel invincible. Each new week I think - "oh I'll never be able to run that long" but I go out and I do it. If feels so empowering!!! I haven't repeated a complete week but I did stay on week 2 and 3 each for an extra day. It really is the taking it slow that makes this program work. All the best to everyone doing this, so proud of all you accomplish and to anyone interested I encourage you to give it a try :)
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    congrats for sticking with it!!!!!!

i;m on week 1......and you're right, it seems hopeless to get to those advanced weeks but you've given me encouragement!! thank u!! look forward to hearing about u finishing :flowerforyou: :drinker: