for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options

Replies

• amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!

I did week 6 day 2 last night.... two 10 minute runs which was almost harder than the 20 minute run I did at the end of week 5! It's hard to walk after running, my shins are killing me and then when I start running again the pain lessens. Weird huh? I'm sure I need to invest in some better shoes. Oh well, feeling ok today. Stretching stretching and more stretching.

From here on out it's all 20 minute + runs.... in a few weeks I should be able to run 3 miles! Holy cow I never thought I could do it!

Welcome to all the new folks joining this thread! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!

I did week 6 day 2 last night.... two 10 minute runs which was almost harder than the 20 minute run I did at the end of week 5! It's hard to walk after running, my shins are killing me and then when I start running again the pain lessens. Weird huh? I'm sure I need to invest in some better shoes. Oh well, feeling ok today. Stretching stretching and more stretching.

From here on out it's all 20 minute + runs.... in a few weeks I should be able to run 3 miles! Holy cow I never thought I could do it!

Welcome to all the new folks joining this thread! You can do it! :flowerforyou:

Great job!!!! I'm a couple of weeks behind you - can't wait till I get where you are :) so exciting to hear the successes!!!
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    I am feeling fantastic. I did week 1 day 3 tonight. I feel so good after I run. When I started my warm up walk I was excited for it to be over so I could run. Never thought I would say that. :happy: I am doing one more day of week 1 and then moving on.

Loren- How is week 3 going for you? Are you sticking with it? I didn't realize that next week has 2 minute rests. For some reason I thought it would be run 90 seconds walk 60 seconds. I feel so much better!!!!

AmyLynne- You are freakin' awesome! I am jealous that you have people to do this with. What a great support system. You are pretty close to finishing. What are you going to do when you finish C25k? You aren't going to leave us are you?:cry:

EVERYONE- How should I be eating when I exercise? Before or after my workout? How long before or after? What kind of food? I want to do this right! HELP!
  • amylynne26
    Options
    :laugh:
    I am feeling fantastic. I did week 1 day 3 tonight. I feel so good after I run. When I started my warm up walk I was excited for it to be over so I could run. Never thought I would say that. :happy: I am doing one more day of week 1 and then moving on.

Loren- How is week 3 going for you? Are you sticking with it? I didn't realize that next week has 2 minute rests. For some reason I thought it would be run 90 seconds walk 60 seconds. I feel so much better!!!!

AmyLynne- You are freakin' awesome! I am jealous that you have people to do this with. What a great support system. You are pretty close to finishing. What are you going to do when you finish C25k? You aren't going to leave us are you?:cry:

EVERYONE- How should I be eating when I exercise? Before or after my workout? How long before or after? What kind of food? I want to do this right! HELP!

YOU guys are awesome!! :happy: I won't leave you guys... I have to start training for a 10K when I'm done with this! :bigsmile:

It's nice having people to run with, because it's harder to skip a workout when you have other people counting on you to go.... unfortunately since we're all on different weeks we don't see much of each other! :laugh:

As far as what to eat.... we usually go in the evenings after dinner (not RIGHT after, maybe 45 min-1 hr) and sometimes I'll have a snack when we get back, depending on how many calories I have left for the day. Usually a Carnation instant breakfast shake. Those are DELISH. I think protein 30 min. after a workout is supposed to help build muscle or something... Oh and I ALWAYS eat every single calorie I can :laugh: This could be why the scale isn't moving much...? :grumble: but as long as the inches are going and my clothes are fitting better I'm happy!

Lauren - I know what you mean about getting done with the walk already so I can start running! I love it!! :flowerforyou:
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I started this with my mom a couple of months ago and after a few wks of stopping/starting yesterday I finished Week 5... which means that I ran for TWENTY MINUTES STRAIGHT.

When I first started I couldn't run 60 seconds without wanting to throw up.

TWENTY MINUTES. I ran slow but I RAN! I was so overwhelmed I actually cried a little when I was doing my cool down walk.

Oh and the 10 inches I've lost hasn't hurt either. :laugh:

that is awsome! i can't wait until I can do that. I just started this week and did w1d2. I entered in a local 2 mile run scheduled for Oct 4th...first goal!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Yesterday I was so excited and walked around all day with a big smile and was just on a natural high all day because I ran the three minute runs on week 3 the day before. Gotta do it again tonight. :tongue: Hoooweeeeeeeee!!! Those are tough but I know I can do it. I have a feeling I'll be repeating week 3. :laugh: I just keep thinking I used to could barely run three seconds now I'm running at three minutes! Who would have thought I could do this?!

A big thank you Amy for asking me to do this with you. :smooched: You're a pretty good influence on me but don't tell anyone. :laugh: :laugh: It's supposed to be the other way around. :laugh:

Good luck everyone! We can do this! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    have a question...i want to start jogging soon but what is the couch to 5k? lol
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    I was doing some research and I found out that they are doing a 5k, 10k, half marathon and a marathon at Disney world in January. I am going to be in one of the races! I will definitely be able to do a 5k by then. Maybe even a 10k! I live in Orlando so it is very close. I am so excited!!!
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I was doing some research and I found out that they are doing a 5k, 10k, half marathon and a marathon at Disney world in January. I am going to be in one of the races! I will definitely be able to do a 5k by then. Maybe even a 10k! I live in Orlando so it is very close. I am so excited!!!

How luck y for you to live there. I've thought that a disney marathon would be a great goal. Good luck to you :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    week 3, Day 2 done! It was a bit more of a challenge, as I pushed myself harder, but it was worth it. When I was getting tired, I kept telling myself "You're already done! Think how strong and proud of yourself you are...." - believe it or not, it worked. :)
  • amylynne26
    Options
    Yay everybody!! This is so motivating for me to know that I have to get on here and report in! :laugh: Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive...

Lauren, I want to see some pictures from your Disney race! :wink:

Well tonight is week 6 day 3... 25 minute run. Wish me luck. If I don't die I'll post afterwards! :laugh:
  • amylynne26
    Options
    Ok I did it!! I finished week 6 which means I ran 25 minutes!! I definitely slowed down towards the end but I kept going..... it's nice now to kind of have a sense of landmarks to help me know how long it'll take me to get to that fence or those trees or whatever. :laugh:

Well at any rate just wanted to report in, I didn't die and you won't either. :tongue: Who's up next?
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    QUESTION!!!!!!!!?????????

Are ya'll running indoors or out?

it is hot and humid here so I dont wanna die on my 1st attempt

I have a treadmill and feel with my low self esteem and really big implants I should start indoors.

I am really uncoordinated and my former trainer wanted me running and I fired him....hehe I was not going to run for him or anyone else......I just feel funny....my fat is bouncing and I sweat like a pig

I need motivation and a kick in the bog fat *kitten*....please help......
  • m2kjenn
    Options

I have a treadmill and feel with my low self esteem and really big implants I should start indoors.

I am really uncoordinated and my former trainer wanted me running and I fired him....hehe I was not going to run for him or anyone else......I just feel funny....my fat is bouncing and I sweat like a pig

I think there is a combination of both indoor and outdoor runners here. I choose outdoor as much as possible, just because to me it seems to go faster. I'm not as tempted to look at the clock all the time. However, starting out indoors on a treadmill is really fine too. The main goal is to get moving and build up your endurance, then when you are ready, move it outside as the weather gets better.
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options

I am running indoors currently for many reasons.

1. I look really funny running right now. I am not going to run in front of anyone yet.

2. Here in Florida the humidity is awful! When it starts to cool off I might attempt an outdoor run.

3. I run at night and I don't feel very safe in my neighborhood especially if I am listening to my headphones.

I am sure it will get monotonous after a while. Hopefully, by then I will feel comfortable enough to get my butt outside.

Good Luck!
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    I am doing my last run of week 1 tonight. (technically my 4th day)

After tonight is done I am on to week 2. Whoo hoo!

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Amylynne- You are unstoppable. :smile: I love hearing that you are doing so well even though you are so far along in the program. Keep it up!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    Options
    I finished day 2 of week 3. It wasn't as bad as day 1. Saturday, day 3 and I think I'll be ready to move on to week 4 next Tuesday.

Amy, I may be running the 5K in November with you after all. X X <--- fingers crossed. :happy:

Good luck and congratulations everyone. Keep it up cause we can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • amylynne26
    Options
    Thanks Lauren! :happy:

I always run outside... so far we've been really lucky here in Seattle it hasn't rained forever though we've had some very hot spells... but we run in the evening when it's still plenty light out but cooling down. Not looking forward to rainy season! :noway:

As far as how you look... I admit I used to stress about that. One of the reasons I convinced my mom to run with me! :laugh:

Couple of thoughts on that - 1st of all I was so focused on not dying that I couldn't tell you if anyone was looking at me or not!! :laugh: 2nd - now that I'm running longer and a bit more comfortable with myself I'm noticing that a) no one is paying attention to me anyway and b) the only odd looks I get are from fat people who are just taking their dog out to poop. And that's probably only happened twice. Jealous? :laugh:

The way I see it is everyone (except maybe those hardcore Lance Armstrong biker types that whiz past me anyway) is out here for the same reason as me... to get (or stay) in shape. Many of them maybe even started out where I am. I have also noticed a bit of a camraderie (sp?) with other runners... especially those still huffing and puffing like me. :laugh: We raise a hand, or nod, too busy trying to breathe to say hi. But there's an acknowledgement that we all finally got off our fat *kitten* and are DOING something about our health.

Inside or out, treadmill or trail, JUST DO IT and don't let anyone stop you, especially YOURSELF.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Excellent post Amy. Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Excellent post Amy. Thanks. :flowerforyou:

I second that!!

MommaRed- You are doing great too! You guys are gonna be a kick *kitten* Momma/daughter team at that 5k!:wink: