for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options

Replies

• AlyssasMommy
    Options
    I DID IT! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

I felt like I was going to die but I did it!

Thank you for your support:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I am going to be a runner:bigsmile:

Congratulations! I'm so proud of you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

btw you have a BEAUTIFUL baby. :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I am really proud of me too :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I am so glad nobody was watching me. I looked like a dying cow. I am hoping I will learn to run gracefully.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I DID IT! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

I felt like I was going to die but I did it!

Thank you for your support:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I am going to be a runner:bigsmile:

Congratulations! I'm so proud of you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

btw you have a BEAUTIFUL baby. :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I am really proud of me too :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I am so glad nobody was watching me. I looked like a dying cow. I am hoping I will learn to run gracefully.

LOL! I bet you look way more graceful than you think.... I thought I looked like an epileptic whale but my husband was surprised at what good form I have. And I know he wasn't just being a good hubby because he was truly, like genuinely surprised. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up!! When is day 2 for you?
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Great stories from everyone - Keep up the great work!!
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    LOL! I bet you look way more graceful than you think.... I thought I looked like an epileptic whale but my husband was surprised at what good form I have. And I know he wasn't just being a good hubby because he was truly, like genuinely surprised. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[/quote]

Day 2 is Sunday. Hubby is off so I know I will have a babysitter. I will let you know how it goes. It really motivated me knowing I was going to get back on here and tell you about it. :bigsmile:

I am so excited about this! :happy:
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    AlyssasMommy - Awww - baby is sooo cute. I have an Alyssa too, she however is now 16!!!! Miss the baby days.
  • amylynne26
    Options

Day 2 is Sunday. Hubby is off so I know I will have a babysitter. I will let you know how it goes. It really motivated me knowing I was going to get back on here and tell you about it. :bigsmile:

I am so excited about this! :happy:
    [/quote]

Ok I'm going to be waiting to hear from you tomorrow..... :wink: I started week 6 today, my next run is Tuesday..... it only gets longer from here!
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Ok I'm going to be waiting to hear from you tomorrow..... :wink: I started week 6 today, my next run is Tuesday..... it only gets longer from here!
    [/quote]

Wow. I just checked out week 6. It looks so tough! You have come so far already. What days do you run? Is it certain days of the week or like every other day?
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much ladies for posting your experiences and enthusiasm about this program! I started it myself today, and got my husband to join me, so after getting a proper pair of running shoes, we set off.

I haven't run since I was a child..and it was hard. Those minute-long spells of running started to get very hard, but I didn't give up, I did it! I know 8 minutes of running, one minute at a time, may not seem much to some people, but I know all of you will appreciate why I'm so proud of myself! Can't wait for the next one now!

xx
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    So this old fart was reading this thread last night before sleeping. I dreamed about it all night.

I had a goal to run 1 mile. I made this goal, but not without an injury and sore knees. I am thinking it is because I did it wrong.

I downloaded an app from Itunes for 2 bucks. It plays with your music and tells you when to run or walk.

It also gives you STRETCHES to do and this is KEY> I hurt myself because of ignorance. I didnt know about stretching, or how very very important it is for the long term.

So now I will:

walk 5 minutes
    do a set of stretches
    do the C25K program
    cool down
    stretch again

I really want to be a runner. Even if just 10 min a day. It burns inside of me that I cannot accomplish this simple thing
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Someone else had a question about the podcast. Can you download it from Limewire or Frostwire?? And how does it work?? Keep up the fantastic work guys!!:flowerforyou:
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Arewethereyet- That app sounds awesome. Do you have to purchase a new one with each week or do you get all of them. It would be nice not to stare at the clock the whole time!
  • amylynne26
    Options
    Hey everybody!

To answer a couple of questions....

Lauren, I run Tue/Thur/Sat. I fill in with walks one or two days a week, but not every week. I've started walking a route around my neighborhood I mapped on www.mapmyrun.com so I know EXACTLY how far 5K really is... I'm walking it no problem (3 months ago I would've never made it) and looking forward to the end of this program when I can RUN it!

Sometimes I take the kids to the park on an "off" day and do some push ups, sit ups, or something like that, but in all honesty the couch 2 5K is really all the exercise I get and somehow I still lost 10 inches! (5 from hips, 4.5 from waist, and unfortunately .5 from my bust!) The first few weeks, especially once you get used to it, it's easy to think "oh I can go farther, I can do more..." well I do very little in addition to this program and I can't believe how far I've come!

You can google Couch to 5K podcasts and there are at least 3 or 4 free ones.... One is hiphop, I think one electronica, I personally use a Christian indie podcast. I'm sure there's something for any taste. :happy: I also heard about an iPhone app that you can use your own music and a program talks over your playlist telling you when to run/walk.

I hope this helps.... keep those success stories coming! We can do this!! :bigsmile:
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2- Done :bigsmile:

I used the hip hop podcast and it was so much easier. I concentrated on my form rather than the clock. I feel so good. :happy:

Thanks again AmyLynne! This thread got me going!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Such great reports from the weekend!!! Congratulations to everyone. I ran W4D1 on Friday evening, but had to cut out the last interval due to some other committments. So On Saturday i felt so good I thought I would go ahead and run it again, thought 24hrs might have been enough for my body to recover.

Well, it wasn't. .....I made it through, but it was as though my legs were filled with Lead!!! i think the non-consecutive days is really a must, especially as you get to the longer runs. So I took off yesterday completely, and will go for it again tonight!!!
  • amylynne26
    Options
    YAY! I'm so glad you ladies are enjoying this as much as I am.... I agree on the "rest" day I tried running 2-3 days in a row and it was rough! :laugh: I'll stick with the schedule at least through week 9 and see how I feel after that.

Keep it up!! :drinker:
  • loren
    loren Posts: 111
    Options
    I tried to start did good the first week and a half and then my life went crazy and I quit! I'm hoping to pick up again at Week 2. It is so hard!! Right now I can't imagine running 20 min straight. GREAT JOB!
  • amylynne26
    Options
    I tried to start did good the first week and a half and then my life went crazy and I quit! I'm hoping to pick up again at Week 2. It is so hard!! Right now I can't imagine running 20 min straight. GREAT JOB!

That happened to me too!! Luckily I got back on track but it took a while. :smile: You can do it!!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Yeah, after a few "false starts" we finally got back on track. I ended up doing week 1 twice before finally proceeding to week 2. Now I think I'm ready for week 3.

Amy on the other hand, took off and left me eating her dust. :laugh: :laugh: Go Amy Go!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Way to go Couch to 5kers! I loved the program!!!!!
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    M2kjenn- are you training every other day or just sticking to 3 days a week?

What schedule is everyone else on?

If I train every other day it ends up being 4 days a week.

Is it better to stick to 3 days?