for anyone considering the Couch to 5K...

Options

Replies

• JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Week 7 day 2 done!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations JPrice! You're doing great! :flowerforyou:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Good luck Betty - with skipping weeks 7 and 8. I must tell you - knowing you did 28 with ease made my 25 seem that much more do-able. Thanks for sharing! I completed week 6, Day 3 today... ready to keep rocking on week 7.

Just curious about a couple of things -1) are you all exercising in some form on the "off" day? 2) Is there any real reason why every day shouldn't be a running day? (I must be delirious to even ask this!) and 3) what's everyone's plans / goals after reaching the 5k distance?
  • mommared53
    Options
    Thanks Smiles. You can do it. Just pace yourself and don't try to run too fast.

To answer your questions, 1) On my off days I started to do the 100 pushups then got off track and and didn't follow through. I need to start again. 2) I think you need to rest your muscles and let them heal in between running days. If you want to exercise on the off days, do other types of exercises that use different muscles so you can allow your leg muscles to rest and heal themselves. 3) Daughter and I are running on a trail that goes behind my apartment complex and it's marked for a 5k run. So far we've just been running for the minutes. When we're able to run for 30 minutes, we're going to find the start of the 5k and start trying to run the whole distance. Then in November we're going to run a 5k in Seattle. After that who knows. I'm sure I'll want to keep running. Maybe start training for a 10k. :bigsmile: Who knows.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    So I started the couch to 5K two weeks ago. I added a baby week with 30 second runs as my first week b/c of my poor knees. I have also started taking a joint supplement and a calcium supplement to help the poor guys. I finished day 3 of the official week 1 today and it felt great! I can't wait to start week 2! :bigsmile:
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    It seems like things I read all suggest taking it slow in the beginning and making sure you rest well between runs. Given that, I am fortunate to have a gym that has aqua classes, and I've been doing that for several months. I usually do my runs on the opposite days from aqua class. Then I "treat" myself to a nice cold swim after my c2 5k runs on the treadmill.

I had to sit out a week when my achilles tendon got sore, so my personal recommendation is to stick to the schedule, do non-running things on the off days (bike, swim, etc.), and get plenty of rest. If you body can't recover from your good hard work, it can't rebuild and get you ready for the next, longer run!
  • mommared53
    Options
    I ran 30 minutes tonight!!!! I just completely skipped over weeks 7 and 8 and went to week 9. I'm so excited!!!! I want to get a pedometer so I can track how far I run. I need to be able to run 3.1 miles so I can run the 5k in November. Or maybe on Saturday I can find where the 5k marking starts on the trail and see if I can run the 3.1 miles that way. I'm just so proud of me. YAY ME!! :happy:
  • toots99
    Options
    That's so great!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    momma that is so AMAZING!!!! You should be so proud of yourself. that is a huge accomplishment :) I am so happy and inspired by your progress!!

I did the 25 minute run yesterday for W7D1 and it was good. I only took 2 walk breaks becuase my shins here really hurting and my tailbone is still causing me some pain (I think it was from the horseback riding lesson last friday lol) but I definately had my work cut out for me! I ended up locked out of my house becuase the door-handle lock caught when my fiance left the house 10 minutes before me, so when i walked out and locked the deadbolt i realized that the handle was locked too :( I tried calling him for an hr but he finally got it when he got to work, so he had to wait for someone else to come to relieve h im and then he came back

in the meantime, I had done my run and because it had rained the night before, there was no where for me to sit and I started to get the cold chills because I was sweaty and so I started to walk while I waited for my fiance to call me back (good thing I always take my cell with me when I run) He eventually got back to our place around 7:45 so I had been outside walking/running for almost 2hrs. I clocked how far i went and it was 9km!!! I was impressed that I went that far, and my border collie cross dog seemed to be loving it heheheh. Im looking forward to a good run Friday mornign with no mishaps hopefully....fingers crossed lol :)
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    What great progress everyone is making. So proud of everyone sticking to this.

I had a great run last night. Did W5D3 the 20 minute run. I checked out my distance on map my run when I got home and was amazed to see I had run for just under 2 miles. Such a great feeling.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    So proud of all of us, and want to say thank you for everyone who keeps coming back, reading, posting and inspiring. Without you, I don't know if I'd be here today, at this moment, reporting that I JUST RAN 30 MINUTES WITHOUT STOPPING!!!!!! :)

Thank you all for unending support - I'm so proud I think I could cry. My other half is saying, people are going to wonder what happened to "the real Melissa". Um... this IS the real Melissa - it just took a lifetime to find her. :)
  • mommared53
    Options
    Smiles, that is wonderful!!! What a great feeling! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I almost cried last night when I ran 30 minutes without stopping because I was so proud and happy.

I'm so glad this thread is still going. It's great to see everyone still running and still posting. You all are such a wonderful support group. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    Options
    I almost cried too! I figured it's okay though, no one would know because I was pouing sweat!

I bumped up to week 9 today, did my 2nd 30 minute run this week. I keep telling myself, "You've already done it, the hard part is over...you can do it again, you can do more!" I swear, 10 minutes is a piece of cake now! I never thought I'd say that!

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    Options
    I almost cried too! I figured it's okay though, no one would know because I was pouing sweat!

I bumped up to week 9 today, did my 2nd 30 minute run this week. I keep telling myself, "You've already done it, the hard part is over...you can do it again, you can do more!" I swear, 10 minutes is a piece of cake now! I never thought I'd say that!

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Isn't it great!?! I look back and see that I had to do week 1 twice and now look at how far I've come! Look how far we've all come! :happy:

I'm so excited for the newbies because I know what it's going to be like for them too. YAY!
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing last night as I was running. How far we have come indeed!!! I was overwhelmed when I had to move to 3 minutes straight, now that just feels like a warm up, 5 min, 10 min each time we increase it just makes us so much stronger. Has really been fun to feel my body adapt. It is by no means "easy" now but it feels good and I feel such a sense of accomplishment doing something I thought I would never be able to do.

Remeber those people that would pop in when we were just starting and say

" finished the c25k in _____ and it is great, now I'm training for a 5k or a 10k" Now we are them :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • mommared53
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing last night as I was running. How far we have come indeed!!! I was overwhelmed when I had to move to 3 minutes straight, now that just feels like a warm up, 5 min, 10 min each time we increase it just makes us so much stronger. Has really been fun to feel my body adapt. It is by no means "easy" now but it feels good and I feel such a sense of accomplishment doing something I thought I would never be able to do.

Remeber those people that would pop in when we were just starting and say

" finished the c25k in _____ and it is great, now I'm training for a 5k or a 10k" Now we are them :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Yes we are and that feels so great! I'll being running my first 5k in Seattle in November, God willing. I'll have to have my son take some pics so I can post them. I'm so excited! :happy:
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    I'm so jealous - i can't seem to find a good one around here to sign up for until spring. Seattle sounds wonderful - I am sure you will do GREAT!!! and yes, pictures are a must!!
  • AlyssasMommy
    Options
    M2Kjenn

I love your new picture! You look so pretty with the dark hair. :happy:

I just noticed mammared's new picture. Looking good! All that running is doing the trick!:drinker:
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    M2Kjenn

I love your new picture! You look so pretty with the dark hair. :happy:

I just noticed mammared's new picture. Looking good! All that running is doing the trick!:drinker:

Thank you!! We need a new picture of Alyssa - although that one is terribly cute :) I love when babies do their little hands like that. I have a similar one of my Alyssa when she was about that age, one of my favorites!!

MommaRed - You look FAB!!!