Now they are going to ban free refills on drinks?

Options

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    my mother-in-law is going to LOOOOOVE this...she already hates the things the government has decided for us..its ok..if i have to drink water, i will
  • xoEmmyBxo
    xoEmmyBxo Posts: 10
    Options
    Come to the UK where refills are rare, but we can buy as many glasses of fizzy drinks as we want even if they cost more than the alcoholic ones.

This made me laugh - I find this too if im out it'll be cheaper to geta vodka and coke than just a coke !
    Although plenty of the restaurants have unlimited refills (Okay , I can think of 3)
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We call it soft tyranny at our house.
  • bownser
    bownser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Isn’t there more important stuff to worry about?? LIKE THE PRICE OF GAS OR PEOPLE UNABLE TO FIND A JOB WITH 60K IN COLLAGE LOAN DEBT?!
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wah wah wah.
  • CharityAngel
    CharityAngel Posts: 111
    Options
    I believe in individual liberty, so the government trying to control what I eat really bothers me. Not that I really want soda myself, or a lot of raw milk, but I think that the government has not right to regulate it. I don't see anywhere in the Constitution that would allow them to do such a thing.

If a business owner wants to regulate their food for the money, go ahead. But the government, it is not their place. They are supposed to protect my inherent rights, not restrict. Society itself is much better at creating change than force will ever be. If a lot of people are focused on fitness, then others start to be too. And if some people don't want to, well, it is their life. They have to deal with the quality of living that they have.

Medication and everything else should not be government controlled either. Neither should firearms etc. People have gotten too used to the government telling them what to do. Both the Republicans and Democrats are to blame. Which is why I vote based on principles and not party.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nsmith6325
    nsmith6325 Posts: 41
    Options
    Play this out to the end...first free refills are banned in the name of "public health" and next it is plate portion sizes. Then let's say they decide that red meat or apple pie is not healthy and ban that. Where is the line? I think that anyone who drinks a softdrink of any kind is making a bad diet choice but the what used to be beautiful about this country is that it was a CHOICE.

Another scenerio drawn out to it's absurd....you are now forced to buy healthcare under the Obama Care plan or you will be fined (as of 2014). Fast foward to the next step. Because so many people are on the governent health care plan and it is costing the country too much money we are now going to step in and control your diet, your excercise minimums and your other activity like sun exposure in the name of the economy....could happen and most probably will. It will start with something small like setting a precidence with banning free refills and escalate. Give an inch take a mile concept.

It is a slippery slope when they start infringing upon personal freedom in the name of "the good of the public."

Amen

NOOOOAHHHH THE SLIPPERY SLOOOPPPPEEE I""MMMMFALLLLINNGGGGRRRAAHHHEEELPPMMEEEE
    another example of not quite THE HOME OF THE BRAVE> you're living in fear...

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."

"History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is."

"I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master."

"I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be."

"I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion."

"I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

“All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

All quotes by Thomas Jefferson....how many different ways must it be said for all to realize that government is not the solution, it is the problem when it over reaches.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....

This word, 'communist', you use it, but I do not think you know what it means. 'Fascist' is the word you are looking for...
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how many people echo the sentiment "But it's not the government's place to say he CAN'T " on the issue of sodapop (or whatever the flavor of the day will be), all while proudly proclaiming their support for a political party that thinks the government should be able to tell us who we can and can't marry, and what we can and can't do to our bodies, etc.

^^This.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    60K IN COLLAGE LOAN DEBT?!

If you're buying that much art with loans, then you might have a problem. Collages are easy to make yourself, why are you buying them?
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love when people take a health issue and equate it with communism. I mean. . . Really? Unlimited soda is a symbol of freedom in the face of communist tyranny? If that's the best America has for a symbol of freedom, then it's in pretty bad shape, indeed.

Diabetes. . . Heart disease. . . Cancer. . . These are the diseases of an overfed, sedentary population. Obesity is quickly becoming an epidemic in North America, one that will cost billions to treat. Where do you think those billions are going to come from? They'll come from you in the form of taxes and increased health insurance costs. You might talk of individual freedom but the truth is you will be paying collectively for these illnesses. And all to fight diseases that are largely preventable. Remember that when you decide whether unlimited soda is truly a freedom worth fighting for.
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Ben Franklin
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    I love when people take a health issue and equate it with communism. I mean. . . Really? Unlimited soda is a symbol of freedom in the face of communist tyranny? If that's the best America has for a symbol of freedom, then it's in pretty bad shape, indeed.

Diabetes. . . Heart disease. . . Cancer. . . These are the diseases of an overfed, sedentary population. Obesity is quickly becoming an epidemic in North America, one that will cost billions to treat. Where do you think those billions are going to come from? They'll come from you in the form of taxes and increased health insurance costs. You might talk of individual freedom but the truth is you will be paying collectively for these illnesses. And all to fight diseases that are largely preventable. Remember that when you decide whether unlimited soda is truly a freedom worth fighting for.

You are obviously too simple to understand that it is not about the soda, it is about individual liberty and the freedom of choice. Even the freedom to make a bad one. If you are always forced to make the right choice by the government then down the road the only choices will be those of the government and which of the annointed ones will we grant the power to decide what the right choices are? What if this were a subject that impacted your personal freedom? Would you be so cavilier about this then? It is always about the path that this small decision will take you down. If you don't stop the insanity early it becomes institutional.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    We have a Vietnamese restaurant here that limits you to one refill. They won't even let you purchase a "second" drink! Once you've had two diet cokes, you are forced to switch to water!

: pout :

You understand the fundamental difference between a restaurant owner saying no refills vs the government saying no refills right?

That right there is biggest problem, I could give a flip less if say my favorite Mexican restaurant said no free refills or no more than 2 sodas..But when the government tells me I can't have them, and steps in and tells a buisness that they can no longer sell them, thats a huge problem..The government needs to back off.

And honestly with the way places pile ice into drinks you really don't get a full cup of drink..The large Mcd's sweet tea (32 oz) here, the cup is 32 ounces and at the one I work in the cup has to be full of ice and we only are suppose to fill it with 16 oz of tea.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    Americas obbession with Freedom makes me laugh, its usually the ones that have never been out of the country. Traveled ones or smart ones i have met that haven't been out of the country realise most other westernised countries are just as free, but don't go on about how free they are in a cringey way.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think the whole free refills thing never should have been started in the first place. It was originally just a big advertising gimmick to get people to come to their restaurant instead of others that didn't offer free refills. When all the restaurants started doing it, that lost effectiveness. If a person wants to drink more than one soda, then they should go ahead and BUY more.

With that said, I don't think it's the government's place to tell people they can't drink more than one at a sitting, and it's not the government's place to tell restaurants they can't serve a person more than one at a sitting. A restaurant should be able to decide what sales they have on items, or what "giveaways" they have to draw customers while still making a decent profit, and if it's free refills, or buy one get one free sandwiches or whatever, it's the restaurant owner's decision.

People should be responsible for what foods and drinks they put in their own bodies, as well as that of their children, and if they make dumb decisions, that's on their own heads. But those same people shouldn't complain if their insurance companies won't pay for medicines/health care caused by their own food related dumb decisions either. And after all, that's the whole bottom line here, isn't it? The only reason the government is involved is because of spiraling health care costs where the government has to foot the bill.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Isn’t there more important stuff to worry about?? LIKE THE PRICE OF GAS OR PEOPLE UNABLE TO FIND A JOB WITH 60K IN COLLAGE LOAN DEBT?!

I would certainly complain if I had paid 60k to be educated and walked away unable to spell 'college'.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear a stupid idea like this, I am reminded to always vote Republican.

Absolutely, it is really not OK to ban drink refills, but it is OK to try and ban abortions. Yeh, drink refills are definitely the more important issue here.

:huh:

(Some of my posts have been taken the wrong way lately... so disclaimer here :bigsmile: My post it isn't a personal dig at you, i'm sure you vote republican for a variety of other reasons. Just pointing out the irony of your post given the republican ideals!)