Positive comments on unhealthy diaries

Options

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

And you DO know that trying to argue the fact that protein isn't the building blocks of muscle is going against YEARS of research and proven results? But, you're right. To each his own, blah blah, whatever. You've all found ways of justifying eating whatever you want since you're seeing results by eating only 5 twinkies instead of 8. It's cool.

BTW...I saw your earlier post about the obese having to make slow changes, and I couldn't agree with you more. However, you should not make a change from an empty calorie diet, to a slightly better, but still calorie dense diet and then stay. It's constant improvement. I still enjoy the occasional beer, and have a glass of wine most nights. Changing your lifestyle doesn't mean giving up everything.

It seems to me you have no idea how fat people actually eat. 8 twinkies? Seriously? We are not walking stereotypes.
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ok cal in vs. out still lose weight right? yeah but if its all crap youre losing muscle. and that NOT a healthy weightloss. so cal in vs/ cal out isn't the only thing that counts for losing weight healthily. sorry it just isn't. sorry if anyone doesn't like to hear this but you can't eat 1200 cals of icecream and workout and lose weight correctly.

And i wonder how twinkie mans blood glucose levels are...i don't have to look at that to know hes body was still starving.

Doesn't say anything about his blood glucose level, but it does say this

"Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

He did become "healthier" about the muscle loss that is a possibility. It's pretty vague though this topic, we're talking about "weight loss" now it's going in to "fat loss"

People also have to keep in mind, obese people usually can't make a 180 in their diet and be successful. They should start off with cutting down on their normal diet, and start to increase better food. This is another reason why someone's diet can look bad to some people.

I think its safe to assume that ppl on this site who want to lose weight prob wants to lose fat. I don't know anyone who wants to lose muscle. Anyone can lose weight but are they healthy? are they losing fat or muscle? its not about fitting a pair of jeans,, you can fit a pair of jeans if you lose 15 lbs of muscle. People needed to put weightloss and healthy on the same playing field. I just assumed ppl wanted to lose weight to become healthier but after reading some of the comments, ppl want to lose weight regarless of if theyre healthy or not.

And that is EXACTLY the problem. People want results as fast as possible, and as easy as possible, and they don't care how it happens. Those are the people who won't be able to maintain their loss. My goals are higher than staying thin for a year, then pounding it back on in no time.
  • bporter30080
    Options

And you DO know that trying to argue the fact that protein isn't the building blocks of muscle is going against YEARS of research and proven results? But, you're right. To each his own, blah blah, whatever. You've all found ways of justifying eating whatever you want since you're seeing results by eating only 5 twinkies instead of 8. It's cool.

BTW...I saw your earlier post about the obese having to make slow changes, and I couldn't agree with you more. However, you should not make a change from an empty calorie diet, to a slightly better, but still calorie dense diet and then stay. It's constant improvement. I still enjoy the occasional beer, and have a glass of wine most nights. Changing your lifestyle doesn't mean giving up everything.

It seems to me you have no idea how fat people actually eat. 8 twinkies? Seriously? We are not walking stereotypes.

I don't think it was sterotyping. Its the fact that you said you eat crap and still lose weight, and the other guy mentioned to study on twinkies. thats all. no stereotypes
  • ktwest2107
    Options

You're right, I don't, because I've made a concious decision to not eat that way anymore. I used to be heavier than I am now, although I was never obese. So no, I don't know. Sorry for making a bad analogy... good job picking out the ONE thing you could comment on tho :)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

I agree with ya'll. I'm sorry, but I've started deleting friends who complain about not losing weight, but then I see their diary and it's full of diet coke, and they've swapped a big mac for a smaller hamburger. It's not only about how much, but what you eat. Weight is only an indicator of what's going on INSIDE. And being obese tends to mean you have a higher chance of diabetes, heart problems, etc. This exists because of the foods you eat, and the weight you gain is a result. The weight problem is just a visual for what your body is going thru on the inside too.

Go ahead and delete me if you're on my list! :laugh: I've lost my weight while still eating all the junk food I want.

And when you get to your "goal weight" , you're going to be "skinny fat", but I doubt you'll even be skinny. So, go on and enjoy the junk food :)

Ooohnoess "skinny fat". Don't worry, I'm not concerned about having a body type that pleases you.

Lol I could go MUCH meaner now, but I'm not going too. Clearly, you feel the need to defend yourself. You're one of those that needs someone to validate that your "trying" or whatever. That's fine, but this post is about people posting clearly wrong comments on people's diaries. If someone takes in 5k calories in a day, you're not going to see a "good job". You SHOULD have a friend on here messaging you tho and asking what's up and how things are going. Seeing if you need some encouragement. Anything less is false hope.

I love how at 23 you know everything... some people really do not care about skinny fat... does that mean she is stupid? nope it means that at this point in losing weight she really just doesn't care. Who are you to judge? perhaps he goal is a certain pants size, or a certain body fat percentage number... NOT all of us are concerned with what others want us to look like we just want to be happy with what WE see in the mirror.
  • ktwest2107
    Options
    ok cal in vs. out still lose weight right? yeah but if its all crap youre losing muscle. and that NOT a healthy weightloss. so cal in vs/ cal out isn't the only thing that counts for losing weight healthily. sorry it just isn't. sorry if anyone doesn't like to hear this but you can't eat 1200 cals of ice and workout and lose weight correctly.

Dude, you don't magically lose muscle just because you have poor nutrition. That's just not how it works.

That is EXACTLY how it works. You have to feed your body a certain way, or the first thing it eats is muscle. That's Nutrition 101... Protein=good.

I love you.....

I do believe we are kindred spirits in the war on bad information... :)
  • ktwest2107
    Options

I agree with ya'll. I'm sorry, but I've started deleting friends who complain about not losing weight, but then I see their diary and it's full of diet coke, and they've swapped a big mac for a smaller hamburger. It's not only about how much, but what you eat. Weight is only an indicator of what's going on INSIDE. And being obese tends to mean you have a higher chance of diabetes, heart problems, etc. This exists because of the foods you eat, and the weight you gain is a result. The weight problem is just a visual for what your body is going thru on the inside too.

Go ahead and delete me if you're on my list! :laugh: I've lost my weight while still eating all the junk food I want.

And when you get to your "goal weight" , you're going to be "skinny fat", but I doubt you'll even be skinny. So, go on and enjoy the junk food :)

Ooohnoess "skinny fat". Don't worry, I'm not concerned about having a body type that pleases you.

Lol I could go MUCH meaner now, but I'm not going too. Clearly, you feel the need to defend yourself. You're one of those that needs someone to validate that your "trying" or whatever. That's fine, but this post is about people posting clearly wrong comments on people's diaries. If someone takes in 5k calories in a day, you're not going to see a "good job". You SHOULD have a friend on here messaging you tho and asking what's up and how things are going. Seeing if you need some encouragement. Anything less is false hope.

I love how at 23 you know everything... some people really do not care about skinny fat... does that mean she is stupid? nope it means that at this point in losing weight she really just doesn't care. Who are you to judge? perhaps he goal is a certain pants size, or a certain body fat percentage number... NOT all of us are concerned with what others want us to look like we just want to be happy with what WE see in the mirror.

1. I never claimed to know everything, but yes, I educate myself on things that are important. Like my health. That's important, and I want others to realize that too. 2. When did I EVER call her stupid?? That didn't even make since. 3. You're comment about the mirror has already been addressed earlier. It's myFITNESSpal, not mySKINNYpal. The point has already been made that it is about a HEALTHY life, not a skinny one. If that's not your goal, it's like saying you'll eat twinkies and ding dongs, but weigh 130 lbs, and then have a short life expectancy because you're nutrition sucks. Why do that? There's no point...
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I get the feeling a lot of people just see that someone was under their calorie goal and congratulate them on that alone. I definitely don't get into every diary available on my friends list, but I do have a look through quite a few each day. If it's a good day I'll congratulate the person and comment on what they've eaten so they can see I've taken the time to actually look at what was logged.

If it's a bad day, I'll close and move on unless it's someone I know better and might mention something in passing and if it's recurring, drop them a message to see what's up. I won't give positive reinforcement though if it's not warranted.
  • bporter30080
    Options
    ok cal in vs. out still lose weight right? yeah but if its all crap youre losing muscle. and that NOT a healthy weightloss. so cal in vs/ cal out isn't the only thing that counts for losing weight healthily. sorry it just isn't. sorry if anyone doesn't like to hear this but you can't eat 1200 cals of ice and workout and lose weight correctly.

Dude, you don't magically lose muscle just because you have poor nutrition. That's just not how it works.

That is EXACTLY how it works. You have to feed your body a certain way, or the first thing it eats is muscle. That's Nutrition 101... Protein=good.

You do realize protein is filled with uric acid right?

And uric acid is excreted in the urine....what are you getting at sir?

Yes human uric acid is, but uric acid is also in the meat you eat. You're literally eating uric acid every time you eat meat. The point is, everything can be considered unhealthy.

Well only if youre body doesn't excrete the uric acid out.....could cause cholelithiasis. But if youre urinary system works properly you should be fine. I don't see how comparing protein to junk food is the same?
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Yes human uric acid is, but uric acid is also in the meat you eat. You're literally eating uric acid every time you eat meat. The point is, everything can be considered unhealthy.

What annoys me is that people think "clean" eating and exercise will make you healthy. People ignore mental health and the negative health effects of exercise (joint issues, injuries, etc)... Nobody is healthy. There's always something unhealthy about a person.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Honestly if someone looked at my diary and seen this past week and then came to this forum and put me down like this, what support are you giving me? Honestly I know my diary this week looks like crap but hey, at least I'm honest about what I ate. Most my friends know that I do pretty good most the time, but some reason I have had a very off week and I am feeling the pain right now about it. There is bad things in everything we eat, if you want to get technical. However not EVERYONE on this site does it the same way as you may do it. Some people are here just to count their calories not eat healthy. Some people just only want to be thinner, some want to get fit and healthy, not everyone here is here for the same thing.

OP made a comment that this is a comment forum, right it is, but it's also a support forum which from this OP I do not see any support. Instead of cutting down the person by ranting about it, how about make a comment to your said friend and say something like "Where are your veggies or fruit?" Maybe they need an extra push instead of a slap in the face? Just my opinion and my comment.
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    Before I decided to commit to weight loss, I was drinking 4-6 sodas a day, eating fast food every day with no regard to calories/sodium (sometimes more than once a day), and did zero exercise. What I eat now is substantially better, but if you were to look at my food diary, some of those "bad" foods are still sometimes there. I just eat A LOT less and actually pay attention to how many calories something has. If I were to completely cut out the bad foods right now, I would fail because I would be miserable. But I am learning how to incorporate healthy choices, practicing portion control, and working out; all of which are huge improvements for me personally. You never know where someone is starting out, so just because a person's diary isn't up to par with your weight loss/health standards doesn't mean that what they're doing isn't working for them right now. And any small improvements should be congratulated as well as having the courage to log food that not everyone would agree with.
  • bporter30080
    Options

What annoys me is that people think "clean" eating and exercise will make you healthy. People ignore mental health and the negative health effects of exercise (joint issues, injuries, etc)... Nobody is healthy. There's always something unhealthy about a person.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude but i'm not understanding your stance. We aren't talking about mental health but physical health. and actually yes clean/healthy eating and exercise will make you healthy....why do you think otherwise? i'm so confused at this. Negative health effect of exercise, not true, riding a bike would be easier on the joints, but theres prob joint issues bc of carrrying around excess weight which will be alleviated throught clean eating and exercise..... help me understand
  • ktwest2107
    Options

"Exercise releases endorphins. Endorphins make people happy. Happy people don't kill their husbands. They just don't." lol love Legally Blonde :)

People who execise regularly have been proven to be happier, and have lower chance of depression, suicide, etc. And seriously, if you find yourself getting hurt when working out, ask someone there who is a trainer to help you. You're probably not doing the move right. Oh, and if you have joint problems, stay away from running. I fractured a femur because I didn't relize that I was putting so much stress on myself when I was running last year. Granted in the military, you have to run. There's no other option, but if you don't have to, then don't.
  • Umeboshi
    Options

I'm honestly not trying to be rude but i'm not understand your stance. We aren't talking about mental health but physical health. and actually yes clean/healthy eating and exercise will me you healthy....why do you think otherwise, i'm so confused at this. Negative health effect of exercise, not true, riding a bike would be easier or the joints, but theres prob joint issues bc of carrrying around excess weight which will be alleviated throught clean eating and exercise..... help me understand

We were talking about health in general. And you will not be healthy if you are mentally ill, no matter how well you eat and how much you exercise. You will not be healthy if you have an injured knee from running. Yes, thin people get exercise injuries too. Marathon runners drop dead mid-run. That's not very healthy.
    Every person has a different level of health and that does not make them any better or worse as a person. Health does not give someone moral high-ground. Health isn't even visible from something as simple as a food diary or body type.
  • bporter30080
    Options
    what's funny, I have lost over 100lbs. Anyone of my friend's would tell you, I have a free day about once a week where i just eat junk, 5,000-6,000 calories. It's what i needed to do to help me lose the weight.

Now there is a point of no return where the free days are preventing weight loss, so now i am going to "cheat meals"

cheat days are much needed lol. atleast for my sanity..hahaha
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging I 'thought' I was eating fairly well. It didn't take long to see how bad the food was for me and how high in calories, etc. So, when I see a diary thats full of 'garbage', processed food, etc and they are under or over goal, I take into consideration that perhaps they are still in the learning stages of a new lifestyle and I still try to be supportive. If however, they have been on MFP for quite a while and eat poptarts for breakfast, cheeseburgers, fries, high calorie beverages, etc when I believe they should know better,, I don't comment rather than posting something that isnt nice. I believe that in this process of changing our diet, we need to praise them when they do well rather than when they don't. Positive reinforcement works better than negative.
    I, myself, have some days that are better than others but I'm still a work in progress. I've lost almost 40lbs so I must be doing something right. If someone wants to give me supportive advice and do it in a nice way, then I consider them a 'pal' if I feel they are actually trying to help me rather than just put me down. I also don't mind some brutally honest advice or opinions if, again, I feel like they are trying to help me and not be mean.
    Maybe if we don't like their diary we can word some encouragement to say something like, great job of staying under your goals but maybe you can start adding more veggies or fruits, etc. to your diet. That helped me when I first started but I asked for advice and kept my diary open to all of my pals.
    I suppose if someone doesn't like the comments they receive, they can hide their diary. I say do whatever works for YOU and try to be supportive. We all need help or we wouldn't be on MFP. :)
  • ktwest2107
    Options
    what's funny, I have lost over 100lbs. Anyone of my friend's would tell you, I have a free day about once a week where i just eat junk, 5,000-6,000 calories. It's what i needed to do to help me lose the weight.

Now there is a point of no return where the free days are preventing weight loss, so now i am going to "cheat meals"

I also have cheat meals, and I enjoy them. Last one was a couple weeks ago at Applebee's and I had Blackened Steak Penne. It's nice every now and then, but I find the longer I maintain my style of eating clean foods, the less I crave those. My new favorite snack is actually reduced fat cheese sticks. It feels bad cause it's cheese, but because I practice moderation, I feel good about it :)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

1. I never claimed to know everything, but yes, I educate myself on things that are important. Like my health. That's important, and I want others to realize that too. 2. When did I EVER call her stupid?? That didn't even make since. 3. You're comment about the mirror has already been addressed earlier. It's myFITNESSpal, not mySKINNYpal. The point has already been made that it is about a HEALTHY life, not a skinny one. If that's not your goal, it's like saying you'll eat twinkies and ding dongs, but weigh 130 lbs, and then have a short life expectancy because you're nutrition sucks. Why do that? There's no point...

Sense*** not since..

also I am glad you educate yourself on things that are important... but for me losing weight - right now is for my HEALTH..being 4'9 and 200+ pounds is bad for ones heart... and that is why I joined this site...its for my health... not because I want to look like she hulk... and no I am not saying anything bad about anyone with muscles.. .I have many friends on here that are hot.. and have tons of lady muscles, but at this point lady muscles are not my biggest concern.... Just because its my FITNESS pal.. you can be skinny and healthy... does not mean anything... Do I want to work on my fitness level?? Sure.. at this exact moment its not my number one goal... sue me.. I am using this site to LEARN...

Oh and PS. When I weigh 130 pounds I will not eat ding dongs and Twinkies... but that's because I do not LIKE ding dongs and twinkies.. I didn't get fat eating ding dongs and Twinkies. But when I weigh 130 pounds you bet I will still drink wine, and beer and eat ice cream and pizza too..

I do not eat clean... and you know why? because I do not want to... its that simple.. I can be healthy and still enjoy the small things in life - there is nothing saying I can't.
  • bporter30080
    Options

I'm honestly not trying to be rude but i'm not understand your stance. We aren't talking about mental health but physical health. and actually yes clean/healthy eating and exercise will me you healthy....why do you think otherwise, i'm so confused at this. Negative health effect of exercise, not true, riding a bike would be easier or the joints, but theres prob joint issues bc of carrrying around excess weight which will be alleviated throught clean eating and exercise..... help me understand

We were talking about health in general. And you will not be healthy if you are mentally ill, no matter how well you eat and how much you exercise. You will not be healthy if you have an injured knee from running. Yes, thin people get exercise injuries too. Marathon runners drop dead mid-run. That's not very healthy.
    Every person has a different level of health and that does not make them any better or worse as a person. Health does not give someone moral high-ground. Health isn't even visible from something as simple as a food diary or body type.

Well i can't comment on mental health but i can focus on physical health. assuming that we are talking about weightloss which is our goal right? Lets focus on physical- eating heathy and working out. Some injuries happen but i wouldnt necesarrily compare a injury to someone who eats junk food everyday to lose weight.

I think you want to even the playing field of : that person sprained their ankle, they aren't healthy.....that person eat s junk food everyday, they aren't healthy.......its just not the same thing. Noone is on a moral high-ground, i have my issues but if i can help someone i will. and it just seems your thought process on losing weight is a bit diff.
This discussion has been closed.