TOO MUCH FRUIT CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks for posting :)
  • SwissRiviera
    Options
    4- 5 servings a day of fruit is okay. Some folks believe you can eat fruit like you drink water! Everyone metabolizes food a bit differently. It is really great to be aware. Oranges and bananas go immediately to my blood stream, I can feel the sugar rush, so I err on the side of caution.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    All calories are not created equal so therefore CALORIES IN DOES NOT EQUAL CALORIES OUT.

Fruit is zero points on weight watchers. I'm not sure if that's the best method??
    Incorrect. A calorie is a calorie. Whether it's 10 calories from sugar or 10 calories from olive oil, the ENERGY is EXACTLY the same. Now how the body uses the macronutrient and how hormones of the body manipulate them is where it's different.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There are important factors that people seem to forget about sugars, and fats, and every other food that someone claims will ruin your diet: density and satiety.

When people say fruit sugar is better than processed sugar, some of them are incorrect, but some of them are just misspeaking. And to say that fruit sugar can be just as bad as processed sugar for your diet is only technically true if you are talking mg/mg of pure sugar, and disregarding what else is in the food being consumed.

I would say that if you're going to eat a sweet thing, sugary fruit is better than a sugary cake, and a sugary cake is better than a Milky Way bar. Why? Not necessarily because one sugar is better than the other, but because if I eat a banana, I will feel fuller than if I ate a conservatively sized slice of cake, and a single serving candy bar isn't even going to put a dent in my hunger, so it's easier to eat more than I should.

My absolute favorite fruit is strawberries. Especially in-season, just picked and still warm from the sun, super sweet, bursting with flavor strawberries. When they first come into season, I can get over excited and eat a big bowl of them, but usually I can't eat more than a cup and a half of them before my belly is full, and my sweet tooth has subsided. I don't track sugar because I'm not at risk for diabetes, but it's part of the carb count, so here's what that looks like:

Strawberries - Raw, 1.5 cup, halves
    Calories 73
    Carbs 18
    Protein 2
    Fat 1
    Fiber 5
    Sodium 2

Yesterday we went to see Brave, and I got my only-when-we-go-to-the-movies treat. Strawberry sour punch straws candy. I ate them only shortly after lunch, and was hungry after the movie:

Sour Punch Straws Candy - Strawberry Straws, 1 container (18 straws ea.)
    Calories 450
    Carbs 102
    Protein 0
    Fat 2
    Fiber 3
    Sodium 15

See the difference there? There are significantly more calories in the unsatisfying candy than in the satisfying fruit, which puts me at risk of going over on calories. But also, even though "a calorie is a calorie" the candy is more likely to prevent me from meeting my goal macros than the fruit is. I'll have 377 fewer calories to put toward protein, and 84 more grams of carbs used up. (Since apart from fish a few times a week, I eat a vegetarian diet, my protein will come with carbs in it, too.)

TL/DR: Fruit is good for you. It is more filling and more nutritious, and has less sugar than most other sweets. Eat all things moderation.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    eating too much anything can get in the way of weight loss. just sayin.

oh, and unless you are diabetic? sugar doesn't matter.

My daughter is Diabetic and eats lots of fruit.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Posts such as this always make me a little worried. For the average person wanting to lose weight and get healthy avoiding fruit is not a good suggestion.

Losing weight is all about calories in and calories out, doesn't matter where those calories come from.

Personally I am aiming for better health and a change in lifestyle, therefore I would rather consume fewer starch, protein and fat calories.

People don't eat enough fruit as it is and suggestions such as the original post just give people an excuse not to eat fruit and to eat maybe more starchy carbs, protein and fat. The balance in nutrients is gone.

This! If I choose strawberries or cherries as an after-lunch snack over a can of Coke, I am doing myself a huge benefit b/c of the natural nutrients and fiber in the fruit.

My family has started adding tomato slices with dinner, or keeping cut up canteloupe, watermelon, blueberries, or whatever is in season in the fridge to have with or after breakfast. I'd like to say this is helping all of us.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    All calories are not created equal so therefore CALORIES IN DOES NOT EQUAL CALORIES OUT.

Fruit is zero points on weight watchers. I'm not sure if that's the best method??
    Incorrect. A calorie is a calorie. Whether it's 10 calories from sugar or 10 calories from olive oil, the ENERGY is EXACTLY the same. Now how the body uses the macronutrient and how hormones of the body manipulate them is where it's different.=

Thank you for the correction. Yes, I was incorrect for that and unclear. That's what I get for being on mfp late lol. In the long run how the body uses absorbs the caloric info into energy is not equal and that's what I'm trying to get at. I think we tend to get too calorie hung up as a society and not focus on the macronutrients like you mentioned and how its absorbed. Food is energy. So if I eat a snickers bar I'm NOT going to be energized for long versus 3 apples. So at the end of the day food is not all equal (not calories.) That's what irritated me on weight watchers was points you get X amount of points so you can use them on whatever and people would think its ok to eat 22 pounds of taco bell or a blizzard as long as they were at or under their points.

So back to my original point if how the body translates that energy from the calories is different so how could it possibly transfer out the same? People think they can eat 1200 calories of X and burn 1200 calories working out and basically made the food null and void. I think that's where a lot of confusion arises. And that's where I didn't understand weight watchers premise of fruit being 0points and unlimited. If I eat an extra 500 calories of fruit a night does the fruit not count as calories because weight watchers says its ZERO POINTS? Eventually, won't the body absorb x amount of calories and then absorb the excess into fat? Or is it ok to eat 2,000 calories a day and its a free pass?

or rather is UNLIMITED FRUCTOSE OK? The body absorbs it all fine and no negative affects?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, the source is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to energy. I understand the point the point of your example, but honestly, a Snickers bar will keep you energized longer than apples due to the fat content in the Snickers. As for how it's absorbed, all of that is already calculated into your TDEE. TDEE is BMR + TEF+ Daily Activity (NEAT + Exercise.) TEF is the Thermic Effect of Food, how many calories that food takes to digest. It's already factored into your day. And changing macros does not honestly have much of an effect on overall TEF, unless you make DRASTIC, and wholly unrealistic comparisons (90% carbs vs 90% protein, or 90% fat vs 90% carbs, or some other such odd combination that would be impractical to eat in the real world.)

Also, for comparison, 3 apples would have the same number of calories as a Snickers bar (about 270 calories,) but more than double the amount of sugar. (60 grams vs 28 grams.) So speaking from a strictly energy point of view, the Snickers bar would be a better choice. Obviously the apples are better from a nutritional point of view. This is what is meant by balance, context, and dosage. Anything can be healthy or unhealthy on any particular day, depending on the rest of the diet that day.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    Calories are calories, the source is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to energy. I understand the point the point of your example, but honestly, a Snickers bar will keep you energized longer than apples due to the fat content in the Snickers. As for how it's absorbed, all of that is already calculated into your TDEE. TDEE is BMR + TEF+ Daily Activity (NEAT + Exercise.) TEF is the Thermic Effect of Food, how many calories that food takes to digest. It's already factored into your day. And changing macros does not honestly have much of an effect on overall TEF, unless you make DRASTIC, and wholly unrealistic comparisons (90% carbs vs 90% protein, or 90% fat vs 90% carbs, or some other such odd combination that would be impractical to eat in the real world.)

Also, for comparison, 3 apples would have the same number of calories as a Snickers bar (about 270 calories,) but more than double the amount of sugar. (60 grams vs 28 grams.) So speaking from a strictly energy point of view, the Snickers bar would be a better choice. Obviously the apples are better from a nutritional point of view. This is what is meant by balance, context, and dosage. Anything can be healthy or unhealthy on any particular day, depending on the rest of the diet that day.

hmmm thanks!
    Yeah I am still confused why weight watcher's platform on fruit and veggies as 0 points (protein, carbs, fat, and fiber) and they have overlooked sugar. Not that I'm picking on WW just trying to understand the science behind it and the science behind sugar as I know that is one of my problems with my weight.

And see I would think I should pack 3 apples as a snack say from 1-5pm put some cinnamon on them rather than buy a snickers. So yes depending on what I'm eating the rest of the day does apply but wouldn't it be better to space 3 apples out say within 4 hours versus eating a snickers within 20 seconds lol. Because this is what's misleading I know for me trying to find a balance.
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Bump
    love this.trying 2 eat more fruit
  • tigersword
    Options

hmmm thanks!
    Yeah I am still confused why weight watcher's platform on fruit and veggies as 0 points (protein, carbs, fat, and fiber) and they have overlooked sugar. Not that I'm picking on WW just trying to understand the science behind it and the science behind sugar as I know that is one of my problems with my weight.

And see I would think I should pack 3 apples as a snack say from 1-5pm put some cinnamon on them rather than buy a snickers. So yes depending on what I'm eating the rest of the day does apply but wouldn't it be better to space 3 apples out say within 4 hours versus eating a snickers within 20 seconds lol. Because this is what's misleading I know for me trying to find a balance.
    Nutrient timing is irrelevant. The human body is actually incredibly efficient at processing, storing, and utilizing energy. Daily nutrient totals are what matter, when you eat them doesn't. Eating all your calories at once, or spreading them out throughout the day, are handled exactly the same way by the body. It processes what it needs immediately, stores the rest, and then releases what it stored as needed. It's a constant 24/7 process that never stops, as long as you are alive. So again, using your example, spreading the 3 apples out, or eating the Snickers bar all in one go, would both give the body 270 calories worth of energy.

If you burn 100 calories per hour (just an easy, hypothetical round number) and eat the Snickers bar, the body will use those 270 calories to run body functions for 2.7 hours, then draw from fat stores for the remaining 1.3 hours. If you eat 3 apples and spread it out, your body will use the 90 calories from the first apple to run it for 54 minutes, then draw from fat stores until you eat the second apple, then use the 90 calories from that apple for about 54 more minutes, then draw from fat stores until you eat the 3rd apple, and then use the 90 calories from that apple for another 54 minutes, before going back to the fat stores for energy (54 minutes times 3 would equal 162 minutes, which is 2.7 hours.)

In both examples, in a 4 hour period, you burned 270 calories from food, and 130 calories from fat. Neither way is better than the other. Those types of decisions should always be made based on overall nutrient needs. If you've had plenty of fiber, and are a bit high on sugar, and a little low on fat and protein, then that might be a case where a Snickers bar would be a "healthier" snack.
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    No true. Fruit is very good for you. As a physician in training, I don't think personal trainers should hand out advice all willy nilly, especially about something as complex as how the liver process foods without proper researching it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

hmmm thanks!

Nutrient timing is irrelevant. The human body is actually incredibly efficient at processing, storing, and utilizing energy. Daily nutrient totals are what matter, when you eat them doesn't. Eating all your calories at once, or spreading them out throughout the day, are handled exactly the same way by the body. It processes what it needs immediately, stores the rest, and then releases what it stored as needed. It's a constant 24/7 process that never stops, as long as you are alive. So again, using your example, spreading the 3 apples out, or eating the Snickers bar all in one go, would both give the body 270 calories worth of energy.

If you burn 100 calories per hour (just an easy, hypothetical round number) and eat the Snickers bar, the body will use those 270 calories to run body functions for 2.7 hours, then draw from fat stores for the remaining 1.3 hours. If you eat 3 apples and spread it out, your body will use the 90 calories from the first apple to run it for 54 minutes, then draw from fat stores until you eat the second apple, then use the 90 calories from that apple for about 54 more minutes, then draw from fat stores until you eat the 3rd apple, and then use the 90 calories from that apple for another 54 minutes, before going back to the fat stores for energy (54 minutes times 3 would equal 162 minutes, which is 2.7 hours.)

In both examples, in a 4 hour period, you burned 270 calories from food, and 130 calories from fat. Neither way is better than the other. Those types of decisions should always be made based on overall nutrient needs. If you've had plenty of fiber, and are a bit high on sugar, and a little low on fat and protein, then that might be a case where a Snickers bar would be a "healthier" snack.

This! Excellent explanation!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    No true. Fruit is very good for you. As a physician in training, I don't think personal trainers should hand out advice all willy nilly, especially about something as complex as how the liver process foods without proper researching it.

Thank you, a voice of reason :)
  • wwef9112
    wwef9112 Posts: 5
    Options
    Back when I first lost weight (yes gained it back go figure) anyway, I went by "I didn't get fat by eating fruits and veggies" of coarse if you eat 55 watermelons your going to gain weight, but eating more fruit and veggies wont hurt you. We got fat from eating to much fat and over eating, not because we had 2 pieces of cantaloupe and some celery.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ridiculous! People can't lose weight because they are eating highly processed foods, refined sugar (cookies, pastries, sugary cereals, sodas, etc.), too much meat and not enough of the right foods. If you stick to a natural whole foods diet consisting of fruit, veggies, whole grains...you will lose weight. I can eat up to 6 bananas a day, lots of apples and various other fruits. I weight 93 pounds! I'm not trying to lose, but when I started a plant based diet, I easily dropped 10 pounds. I eat more now than I ever have and have no problem maintaining my weight.

People that tell you to limit healthy food are setting a bad example.

AHA!!! Exactly ^^

People, STOP FEARING WHOLE FOODS! Fear the artificial preservatives instead.
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! Some of you guys crack me up... Going on and on about how rediculous it is to suggest that ppl shouldn't eat fruit or how fruit is better than a burger. The post DOES NOT say that fruit is unhealthy for you or that it should be avoided. I just posted it because I found the lists to be good info for me and I thought others might find it good to know as well. Do with it what you will.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ^agreed

The rule of thumb I've always lived by is don't eat fruit 6 hours before bed.

Why not? would you turn into a grapefruit or something?

Because fruit generally carries a high G.I. and can spike insulin. Great for post workout and energy through the day, as a late night snack... eh... still better than a cheeseburger
  • tigersword
    Options
    ^agreed

The rule of thumb I've always lived by is don't eat fruit 6 hours before bed.

Why not? would you turn into a grapefruit or something?

Because fruit generally carries a high G.I. and can spike insulin. Great for post workout and energy through the day, as a late night snack... eh... still better than a cheeseburger
    GI is useless, and protein spikes insulin even higher than sugar does. None of that matters in a calorie deficit.