The man and his horrid comment

Options

Replies

• Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. actually yes, I would like you to be kind to me, even if that means you need to lie or just not say something.

Then again, I am not someone who would EVER ask "do I look fat in this?" etc. I already know the answer and don't need anyone else's opinions on what to wear or the negative aspects of my form.

I am incredibly happy my finance doesn't notice or care about clothing and has never said anything negative about my body. True, he doesn't hand out enough compliments at times either (I'm an attention *kitten*!), but when he does they are sincere. While I'd prefer more attention perhaps sometimes, I really appreciate the completely unconditional love I get - no matter what size or shape I'm in.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The offer for ice cream later still has me laughing.... too funny :)

We all say stupid things at times. My husband knows I'm ultra sensitive about my weight and has never ever said anything. Well, he put on some weight when I got pregnant and popped a button off his pj pants. When he asked me to fix it I said, "why dont we just go have them put some elastic on them instead, it would last longer" And then I saw the look on his face and that was the last time I made a smart *kitten* comment about his weight...poor thing, it was rude of me and I felt awful. He has always been so supportive of me and I said that. Never happened again.....
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    So...you want us to lie to you?

I'm probably going to get chewed out for this but seriously, sometimes we have to tell you that you need to start watching what you eat and hit the gym. Would you rather we start cheating on you (not that I would, just saying) or just plain dump you with the lame "oh its not you, its me" ?

Please, don't make my post a gender issue and I perfectly understand getting hurt over comments like these however, the significant others can be in a hard place and a rock with these situations

I'm not going to chew you out... but there is a difference between a woman asking a question about her appearance and a man feeling the need to give an unsolicited opinion. If i ask i expect an honest but adult response. In other words if i say "Does my butt look fat in this?" spare me the *beep..beep* "Wide loud coming through!!" response. A simple "Yes honey." is sufficient.

Now about the unsolicited opinion thing: appearance alone should never be what dictates your relationship. If your partners 30 lb weight gain is what stands between you and thoughts of cheating or dumping them then maybe you don't need to be married in the first place. Even if you follow a good health regimen at some point in life you will not look as good as you did when you were young and tight!! We all age...our body's change. And it's not always your weight. Example.. If your wife said.. "Wow your getting really thin on top. You need to hit the Hair Club For Men" are you going to run out the door and do it??"

Personally it's not my husbands responsibility to let me know what i need to do about my body. Cause i've got news for him, his isn't what it was either. Now if i ask him and he gives me an answer i don't like, i can't complain!! :happy:
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First off I will say that I work out and eat right for myself and only MYSELF first.

That said, I want my man to be truthful with me at all times, from telling me I have something in my teeth, to telling me a certain pair of pants don't really flatter my shape, or even if he doesn't think the way I deal with certain situations is good for our relationship. On the flip side, he expects the same from me. I think it's definitely all in the way things are worded and discussed.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Glad that you had a comeback and called him on his horrifically rude comment!

He was SOOOOOOO sorry... he was begging forgiveness all day. I might see how long I can stretch this out.

Good for you. Milk it as much as possible.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    He grabbed my behind and said "Hey we need to tone this up so I have something to grab onto."

......So did he want your *kitten* to be bigger or smaller? If he wants something to grab onto then it sounds like bigger, but perhaps "tone" means rounder. It's sounds like he was trying to flirtatiously tease you and it didn't sound as good out loud as it did in his head. :laugh:

I constantly hear that I'm allowed to lose weight but not in my *kitten*. When I point out that this approach is not only unrealistic but would leave me hideously out of proportion, I get some reply about "badonkadonk". Some guys are just *kitten* men. :blushing:

This....if it was I who had uttered those words to my wife the hidden meaning would be that saying them would give me a reason to grab her behind and subsequently offer to either help her flex her buttocks, massage them after a work-out or plain holding her feminine chest-parts while she works her buns.....

....and yes I would have chrashed and burned on it because it sounded better in my head than coming out of my mouth - but I would have enjoyed the come-back and we would have laughed at it for the next few years
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You are the one who said the alternative was to cheat or leave. And I'm just saying that if those are my choices, that is not a man I want to share my life with and it's better he leaves. "Working it out" with someone who is not a person I want to be with based on such an important part of his personality is not an option.

People age and their bodies change. The woman who has a killer body at 25 might not have a killer body after having children and a full time job and a million other things grabbing her attention by the time she's 40. Not to mention diseases and hormone issues and all sorts of other things that come into play. If you love me for my "perfect" body at 25 but aren't going to love me at 45 with my not-so-perfect body, please tell me at 25 and not at 45 so I can choose a better partner.

Your choices were either we lie to you or leave you (either mentally via cheating or leaving completely). You said you want to be dumped so I assume you want us to lie to you.

BTW, I know that our bodies won't stay the same and by god I hope that after 20 years of partnership we've learned to love each other for more than just the tight tushies we got but if you'd rather just sit on your butt and each potato chips all day and want me to just ignore it, then tell me right away that you're going to be selfish for the rest of the life. This is a partnership. even though its our own bodies, your SO also has something to do with your body. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to see your SO becoming this unhealthy obese giant. You should say something before the health problems get out of hand. Not saying something just because "you wanna be nice" is a polite way to be a coward.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    *sighs* Men.... they just don't think sometimes. Don't be so harsh on him if its not a regular thing, otherwise when you want an honest opinion from him he prolly won't give it!
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    Heh, that reminds me of all the times my dad tells me I eat too many carbs and then asks "Do you want pasta for dinner?" or goes and buys bagels. *facepalm*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You are the one who said the alternative was to cheat or leave. And I'm just saying that if those are my choices, that is not a man I want to share my life with and it's better he leaves. "Working it out" with someone who is not a person I want to be with based on such an important part of his personality is not an option.

People age and their bodies change. The woman who has a killer body at 25 might not have a killer body after having children and a full time job and a million other things grabbing her attention by the time she's 40. Not to mention diseases and hormone issues and all sorts of other things that come into play. If you love me for my "perfect" body at 25 but aren't going to love me at 45 with my not-so-perfect body, please tell me at 25 and not at 45 so I can choose a better partner.

Your choices were either we lie to you or leave you (either mentally via cheating or leaving completely). You said you want to be dumped so I assume you want us to lie to you.

BTW, I know that our bodies won't stay the same and by god I hope that after 20 years of partnership we've learned to love each other for more than just the tight tushies we got but if you'd rather just sit on your butt and each potato chips all day and want me to just ignore it, then tell me right away that you're going to be selfish for the rest of the life. This is a partnership. even though its our own bodies, your SO also has something to do with your body. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to see your SO becoming this unhealthy obese giant. You should say something before the health problems get out of hand. Not saying something just because "you wanna be nice" is a polite way to be a coward.

If I've gained weight, I know I've gained weight. If you are going to cheat or dump me because of it, then dump me. See ya.
  • Kryssaxo
    Kryssaxo Posts: 54
    Options
    I wouldn't say that's a horrid comment. It was poorly worded for sure, but he's still expressing that he's very attracted to you.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    "Booty poppin" came into my head for this discussion.......hmmmmm idk why but should fit in somewhere
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Girllll all you need to do to tone that up is do squats. I felt a different when I was doing JM 30 Day Shred cuz she does alot of squatting but in a good way so it doesn't make you feel like your doing that many squats.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options

I'm not going to chew you out... but there is a difference between a woman asking a question about her appearance and a man feeling the need to give an unsolicited opinion. If i ask i expect an honest but adult response. In other words if i say "Does my butt look fat in this?" spare me the *beep..beep* "Wide loud coming through!!" response. A simple "Yes honey." is sufficient.

I would like to meet the 1 man out of a 100 who will answer that question. We may be a lot of negatives things but most of us are NOT going to fall in that trap. Give us a little credit. Just sayin' . . .
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    funny thing is he probably just came up with a stupid reason to grab your butt to begin with..... can we say Backfired!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    So...you want us to lie to you?

I'm probably going to get chewed out for this but seriously, sometimes we have to tell you that you need to start watching what you eat and hit the gym. Would you rather we start cheating on you (not that I would, just saying) or just plain dump you with the lame "oh its not you, its me" ?

Please, don't make my post a gender issue and I perfectly understand getting hurt over comments like these however, the significant others can be in a hard place and a rock with these situations

No not lie, just be a little more sensitive....a litttle more aware of what's being said and how it's being said.

My ex, as he was walking out the door for the last time, said "If you hadn't lost all the weight, we wouldn't be breaking up"

This from the man who told me that if I wanted to save our relationship had to get healthy, did he not realise that healthy and weight loss go hand in hand?

It hurt a LOT to hear that, and he could have either kept it to himself or voiced it better.

Although I have to honest and admit that that comment from him while hurtful, I'm very very grateful for it now, mostly because he's not in my life anymore.

Lauren
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow....I know how that goes. This weekend I was trying on jeans and my guy goes.."I like how they look from the front but they make your butt look funny when you walk" WTF??!! I swear they have no filters!!!

I WANT my husband to tell me stuff like this. I want to know when clothes make me look funny. Haha... it's not the greatest thing to hear, but I don't want to walk around wearing clothes that make me look bad.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I would like to meet the 1 man out of a 100 who will answer that question. We may be a lot of negatives things but most of us are NOT going to fall in that trap. Give us a little credit. Just sayin' . . .

My ex-husband would ALWAYS tell me the truth. "It's honestly not that flattering." or "I like the other one better." or "Those make your *kitten* look great." Totally appreciated the way he was honest and not mean.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My ex-husband would ALWAYS tell me the truth. "It's honestly not that flattering." or "I like the other one better." or "Those make your *kitten* look great." Totally appreciated the way he was honest and not mean.

There's a difference between being told a particular piece of clothing (or outfit) isn't flattering and being told your body sucks.
  • Xniecex
    Xniecex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Here's this nice guy's thought...

He see the changes in you...and likes it. Makes him frisky. It's his playful way of encouraging you.

Dont always read into the words without understanding his mindset. Ask him. And you will see the above comment is right.

After the shock wore off... we talked. and it was. he was obsessed with the changes in my body and when they slowed it was a downer for him. I get it :). and I even told him maybe it was the slap in the face i needed. But it was the way he says things lol. My best friend even told him to talk to someone before he has those conversations. because he is known to have the wrong wording.... like most guys. Innocent in their eyes.... but not so in ours. :o/