The man and his horrid comment

Options

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    So...you want us to lie to you?

I'm probably going to get chewed out for this but seriously, sometimes we have to tell you that you need to start watching what you eat and hit the gym. Would you rather we start cheating on you (not that I would, just saying) or just plain dump you with the lame "oh its not you, its me" ?

Please, don't make my post a gender issue and I perfectly understand getting hurt over comments like these however, the significant others can be in a hard place and a rock with these situations
    Obviously she doesn't need to be told to watch what she eats and hit the gym. She's a member here. She's already working on it and she's already lost 10lbs.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Sounds like something my boyfriend would say. What's even funnier, is he read that all over my shoulder and chuckled cause he thought it was 'funny'.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    "Don't lose your squishy stomach! It conforms nicely to my head." <---My wonderful man......
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Why? Because he's a guy, and they say stoopid *kitten* sometimes. He probably thinks he was being cute & trying to be supportive, but yeah I'd have knocked him in the bullocks over that lol The ice cream bit? Again, stoopid. Unless he's on the same fitness journey he isn't going to really get it :flowerforyou:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

I'm probably going to get chewed out for this but seriously, sometimes we have to tell you that you need to start watching what you eat and hit the gym. Would you rather we start cheating on you (not that I would, just saying) or just plain dump you with the lame "oh its not you, its me" ?

Please, don't make my post a gender issue and I perfectly understand getting hurt over comments like these however, the significant others can be in a hard place and a rock with these situations

I guess with age comes wisdom, because I would never say something like that to my wife. I wouldn't even respond to a direct question about appearance unless it was positive.

Same way about pregnancy. Wouldn't ask a woman if she was pregnant, even if her water broke right in front of me.

Can't win.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think men lose their brains temporarily. My hubby does the same stuff. Tells me I should enjoy myself, buys me food that he knows I shouldn't/don't want to eat. And then when I decide to have a treat, he makes a comment like "wtf are you doing, you shouldn't be eating that!!"
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Sorry your man said that to you. Men DON'T think before they speak!!! He was complaining you needed to tone up but then ask you if you wanted ice cream? My point exactly. My husband wouldn't say that ever cause he knows better and he's a kinda big guy plus he is pretty sensitive about my feelings :happy:
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe this has already been said, but...is it possible that this was a misguided attempt at encouraging your weight loss? Maybe he thought that he was being supportive of your attempt to lose/tone/etc.
    Men can generally be pretty clueless about how sensitive women are about their looks, you know?

*shrug*
    Who knows. I LOVED your comeback, though.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Ifa guy will cheat that easily they aren't worth the time, anyway!

I like how THAT is the part of the post you chose to focused on.

Like it or not, if honesty is the request, then there is your honest answer. A man who will cheat that easily is not a man worth any woman's time, especially if the said woman is TRYING to make a change.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Obviously she doesn't need to be told to watch what she eats and hit the gym. She's a member here. She's already working on it and she's already lost 10lbs.

This...
    OP should pinch her BF's butt and say "This is where 'we' can go F 'ourselves'"
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options

I'm not going to chew you out... but there is a difference between a woman asking a question about her appearance and a man feeling the need to give an unsolicited opinion. If i ask i expect an honest but adult response. In other words if i say "Does my butt look fat in this?" spare me the *beep..beep* "Wide loud coming through!!" response. A simple "Yes honey." is sufficient.

I would like to meet the 1 man out of a 100 who will answer that question. We may be a lot of negatives things but most of us are NOT going to fall in that trap. Give us a little credit. Just sayin' . . .

Lmao!!! I guess i'm the 1 woman out of a 100 who isnt setting you up for a trap. Like i said if i ask i expect an honest answer but worded in an adult way. If my husband says "Honey am i gaining weight?" My response would probably be "Yes you look a little bigger but so do i. Maybe we should cut back on the chips and junk!" not "Our bed is sinking on one side, what the the hell do you think??" !!

Just so you know women are full of negatives too...not just men. And i know a few women who need to bite their lip when it comes to nasty critical unsolicited comments about the hubby.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My husband will say stupid things like that from time to time. I usually let it roll off my back because I've come to learn over my 50+ years that men tend to say stupid things without really thinking of how they sound. When I was much younger, my feelings would get hurt over comments regarding my weight, appearance, etc. Fortunately, I've grown a thicker skin. My husband, on the other hand, has learned that when he doesn't get a response to a stupid comment that it was probably something he shouldn't have said. However, if he catches me on a bad day, he'll catch a ration of $h!t.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I guess with age comes wisdom, because I would never say something like that to my wife. I wouldn't even respond to a direct question about appearance unless it was positive.

Same way about pregnancy. Wouldn't ask a woman if she was pregnant, even if her water broke right in front of me.

Can't win.

*LOL* Sometimes you really make me smile :) Well done.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    oh yay...eff that. i had one of those too...

he actually said "youre fat. i feel bad telling you, but i have to say, youre fat"

*blink blink blink*

dear exhusband, just another reason you should be grateful you are still living. signed, ithinkyoureadouche, rockstarsally
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Seriously, I understand he didn't say it right. But I would LOVE my man to tell me when I don't look good in something, or that I'm a bit big here or there. As far as he is concerned I could walk around in a frumpy moomoo and he wouldn't care! It drives me insane! I think we as women need to grow some. Men are men, they have their ways and if we can't handle it, then it might not just be "their" problem.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    You should have sprinkled his crotch with Miracle Grow.

^^Great answer!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My husband used to say stuffs like "you just need to tone your butt", and I would get so mad. But now that my butt is firmer, I kind of felt like I should've done it years ago. I know it's not a nice thing to hear, but I think it's coming from a good place.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    This is my take... he knows you've been working out. I think he was probably trying to be cute and it went wrong because he touched your butt and it disengaged his brain. As far as, the ice cream goes... in the 15 minutes between him hurting your feelings and the ice cream thought... in his mind the two of you had sex 57 times in 73 positions and 3 places; he's saved the world as batman, superman and the green lantern; he's fixed five problems at work; told off 3 jerks; saved a baby from a burning car; and figured out his teenage mutant ninja turtle name. The boy needed a snack.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    So I know I am a guy but not sure where the horrid comment is. He didn't say you need to tone up because you have too much to grab onto. He just stated he wanted more of you which isn't that bad. I'm guessing the fact that he used the word tone kinda triggered something in you heard that made it seemed that he called you fat. I know woman are sensitive to this issue but he never stated that you had too much.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Would you seriously dump a girl just because she gained weight? You're either very young or very shallow.