Oh, It's TOM so You Can't Exercise? BS!

Options

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I always find this a lame excuse as well. I start my periods on Mondays (thanks, birth control!) which also happen to be my long run days. I go for 7+ mile runs regardless. I've lifted, I've pole danced, I've been swimming. I don't let it hold me back.

Besides, I've found working out, even during my period, actually gives me more energy and reduces my cramps. So they're basically missing out a better period because they refuse to go do a light workout.

I get some people have atrocious periods. Mine used to give me killer cramps and were unreasonably heavy, plus my energy crashes during the week too. The right birth control helped with that, and what that didn't take care of, healthy living has. You don't have to suffer in pain, ladies!

Some of us can't take BCP due to side effects or age. Or both (trust me, if I could take them, I would. I did for many years and they likely saved my fertility by preventing my uterus from destroying itself and both of my ovaries). Once you get much beyond 35 they are contraindicated. We're not all 20 somethings, yaknow.

Yeah, just because birth control worked for you, (to the first poster) doesn't mean it works for everyone. I can't take hormonal BC. I think your whole condescending "So they're basically missing out on a better period because they refuse to do a light workout" is a pretty judgmental statement. It's not a one size fits all solution.
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    since we're on the topic of excessive bleeding (well, I am and a few others).... does anyone else get the tissue clot stuff? I mean like huge golf ball size chunks of tissue coming out?? When that happens on a run, it's really..uh...unpleasant to do anything but run to the restroom and get that outta my pants immediately.

Really.

I'm glad OP doesn't have these problems. But I actually do. And it hasn't put me out to take it easy on my first few days of flow and save the serious work outs for when it lightens up a bit.

yes. usually on day three. thats the uterus lining to my knowledge!

I remember the first time that happened to me. I was like 14, and basically thought I was dying. I mean, the blood I knew about. That made a sort of sense (even if it was disgusting and unfair.) But clots? Straight up thought I was going to die.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Oooh, and then there's when you're wearing a tampon and the movement makes it rub off the inside of your vagina in weird ways and it hurts in indescribable ways and you can't tell anyone or complain or say "I'm taking a day off today because my tampon is chafing me from the ****ing inside" because we live in a society where to so much as mention having a period makes you weak and useless.

Don't even say vagina in Michigan (where I live)! :laugh:

Seriously, tampon string chafe is nothing to sneeze at. I've drawn blood (of the labial source, not uterine lining) from that when on my bike...even while wearing bike shorts and using chamois cream.

I wouldn't try sneezing while wearing a tampon. I've had, we'll say...issues, there.

Ha, farting and pooping can lead to major clot release, as well. :devil:
  • ashleymichaud
    Options
    I feel SO sorry for any men who have read through this thread! :laugh:

I don't! They knew what they were getting into. The thread had TOM in the title. If they read this far they must have some morbid curiosity or something, lol. They could have closed their browser at any point!
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

Why? Oh my god, women like you, and the men for whom you feel sorry, disgust me.

Wow, really? You're going to post insulting things to me because I feel bad for men who might have read some of the very picturesque visuals that have been posted in this thread? Yes, my husband knows i have lady parts, but I certainly wouldn't talk to him in some of the words that have been used here about it. I also don't use the restroom in front of him, either. Some things are just better done privately. It's called being a lady. More women should practice it nowadays instead of trying to be men and compete with men all the time.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Oooh, and then there's when you're wearing a tampon and the movement makes it rub off the inside of your vagina in weird ways and it hurts in indescribable ways and you can't tell anyone or complain or say "I'm taking a day off today because my tampon is chafing me from the ****ing inside" because we live in a society where to so much as mention having a period makes you weak and useless.

Seriously, tampon string chafe is nothing to sneeze at. I've drawn blood (of the labial source, not uterine lining) from that when on my bike...even while wearing bike shorts and using chamois cream.

I want to send the Michigan HoR a list of words I think would be appropriate to use instead of "vagina." But, I might just be a troll.

I would volunteer to help you compile such a list. I have a very colorful vocabulary (or so I've been told).
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

I don't! They knew what they were getting into. The thread had TOM in the title. If they read this far they must have some morbid curiosity or something, lol. They could have closed their browser at any point!

Ok, excellent point! THIS, I get. To the young lady who said I disgust her for saying it to begin with, I don't really get why she jumped in attacking me like that....totally weird.

ETA: Some people take things just a *little* too seriously.
  • sueannerojas
    Options
    I too have the excessive bleeding thing going on ( I don't clot well at all) Nothing like standing up and feeling the blood flow out of you and down your leg.
    [/quote]

this :((((
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I read somewhere that a woman burns more calories right before her tom. It is an extra 100-300 calories per day. I think it is on day 26 or something of her cycle.

Interesting! Maybe that explains why many of us get really hungry right before our periods start.

No, that's your body wanting you to eat more to prepare for pregnancy.

Yeah it is. I think I read it in women's health or something. Your cravings are because of all the extra calories burned. That's why I don't deny myself what I crave lol. My body must know what it's doing "Alright, if you really think I NEED that brownie to survive I guess I'll HAVE to eat it"

lol, i wouldn't take what a women's magazine tells you as truth or an exact science.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Why? Oh my god, women like you, and the men for whom you feel sorry, disgust me.

Wow, you're easily disgusted. Not everyone wants to read TMI about periods, men more so than women because they don't have any personal experience with it.
  • foremate
    foremate Posts: 38
    Options
    Cleaning can be excercise depending if you are pushing and moving furniture around and breaking into a sweat!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    With a single MFP thread, 243 women's cycles came into sync. And because of that, 243 men would like to say, "Thanks for that MFP, you muthaf*cker..."

Lmao! You crack me up
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    And I'm still not going to exercise on my period, so... lol.
    zx04zt.jpg

Had my period last week.
    Didn't do *kitten*.
    Lost 3 lbs.

Should be ovulating now (according to this app on my phone), so you can go ahead and suck my egg, see you next tuesday. :tongue:
  • zoom2
    Options

Wow, really? You're going to post insulting things to me because I feel bad for men who might have read some of the very picturesque visuals that have been posted in this thread? Yes, my husband knows i have lady parts, but I certainly wouldn't talk to him in some of the words that have been used here about it. I also don't use the restroom in front of him, either. Some things are just better done privately. It's called being a lady. More women should practice it nowadays instead of trying to be men and compete with men all the time.

So why are "ladies" expected to hold to a different standard than "gentlemen?" Neither sex should hold a patent on TMI acceptability. It's not 1950, FFS. I can push a small person out of my neither regions and that ability has led to nearly 30 years of discomfort every month (or every 23 days, in my case--oh, joy!). That affords me the right to be crass, methinks.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    EEK! I would not have said it that way, for me, it's too confrontational. I do agree with those that said that working out does help lessen cramps and flow.

I've went from a 5 day heavy flow to a 3 day light flow with very little to no cramps. AF sucks either way and I'll be glad when I'm done with the witch forever!
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I too have the excessive bleeding thing going on ( I don't clot well at all) Nothing like standing up and feeling the blood flow out of you and down your leg.

this :((((
    [/quote]

That happened to me at work. I had on a tampon & a pad.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better when I exercise during my TOM. It decreases bloating and I just generally feel less sluggish (like the rest of the month...)

I actually call my TOM my friend Sally. As in, "Sally's here for a visit, and she's being a total *****".:laugh:
  • foremate
    foremate Posts: 38
    Options
    and some men just need to be more educated on the actual affects and effects of it! I used to be in the fetal position for half a day but after I had my daughter at age 30 the bad cramps stopped!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

I want to send the Michigan HoR a list of words I think would be appropriate to use instead of "vagina." But, I might just be a troll.

I would volunteer to help you compile such a list. I have a very colorful vocabulary (or so I've been told).

I do too, and most of it is thanks to my friends on MFP.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Cleaning can be excercise depending if you are pushing and moving furniture around and breaking into a sweat!

Bwahhahahaha...that's a different comet thread.
This discussion has been closed.