Oh, It's TOM so You Can't Exercise? BS!

Replies

• Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member

Ah, the gush.. The worst gush is when you get up in the morning.. ugh.

When I wake up, right before I get off the bed and stand up, I scream for my husband to get out of the bathroom if he's in it because of the disgusting morning gush...

UGH! I remember those days and DO NOT miss them!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I REALLY hate when women use their period as an excuse to not do something. "I can't go biking today. I started." Really? I get some of the worst cramps, but it never stops me from doing something. SUCK IT UP and quit being such a baby. Seriously.

Rant over.

You get some of the worst cramps compared to who? You don't know what others go through.
    Very b****y post.
  • she says this here, on the internet, but i bet shed never say that to someones face :D bahaha
    shell understand someday when shes a big girl :D
  • jmobashrn11
    jmobashrn11 Posts: 120
    I don't log my exercise on here because I think it's fairly inaccurate for walking (that's mostly what I'm doing right now) and I don't think I should eat another full meal because I walked for an hour. Personally for what I do, my period doesn't get in the way but jeez does it STINK after exercise! I can see based on that alone not wanting to exercise on your period, especially in a group setting.

I don't think it's my place to judge someone's TOM feelings.
  • Lasirenn
    Lasirenn Posts: 50 Member
    I REALLY hate when women use their period as an excuse to not do something. "I can't go biking today. I started." Really? I get some of the worst cramps, but it never stops me from doing something. SUCK IT UP and quit being such a baby. Seriously.

Rant over.

So if they don't exercise, do YOU gain weight as a result? If not, who cares. If they otherwise exercise often and eat well, a few days off avoiding pad/tampon rash, gushes, aggravating nausea etc., isn't going to kill them.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Oh here we go again. :noway:

Cramps vary in intensity from woman to woman. Some people get crippling cramps, and a bike ride ain't gonna help. Other women (myself included) have the engergy of a 95 year old on the first or second day (or the duration) of their period. I don't see the point in doing half-assed workouts, so if I'm not "feeling it" then I'm going to save my strength for a great workout when I'm back to normal. Don't like that? tough *kitten*.

Missing a few days of exercise because of PMS does not make you a weak BS'er, come off it and work on yourself.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Wow, why do you care?

Yeah, I don't mean to be rude, but it's true. I usually don't exercise when I have my period, for a number of different reasons that you shouldn't worry about. Just exercise and get on with it, and do your own thing. Missing a few workouts is not the end of the world.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Troll alert.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    For me, mine are getting really bad now that I'm off the pill and pushing 40. And even though I don't really feel up to it, I know that it relieves my cramps BIG time so I put on my big girl panties and get to work, Nausea? Alka Seltzer. Cramps? Advil. Then as soon as I feel human again I get to it! ALWAYS helps my cramps, no doubt!! And as for anyone who has a problem with this post? Everyone is entitled to express their own opinions. It's called Freedom of Speech.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    I feel SO sorry for any men who have read through this thread! :laugh:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Oooh, and then there's when you're wearing a tampon and the movement makes it rub off the inside of your vagina in weird ways and it hurts in indescribable ways and you can't tell anyone or complain or say "I'm taking a day off today because my tampon is chafing me from the ****ing inside" because we live in a society where to so much as mention having a period makes you weak and useless.

Don't even say vagina in Michigan (where I live)! :laugh:

Seriously, tampon string chafe is nothing to sneeze at. I've drawn blood (of the labial source, not uterine lining) from that when on my bike...even while wearing bike shorts and using chamois cream.

I want to send the Michigan HoR a list of words I think would be appropriate to use instead of "vagina." But, I might just be a troll.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    I always find this a lame excuse as well. I start my periods on Mondays (thanks, birth control!) which also happen to be my long run days. I go for 7+ mile runs regardless. I've lifted, I've pole danced, I've been swimming. I don't let it hold me back.

Besides, I've found working out, even during my period, actually gives me more energy and reduces my cramps. So they're basically missing out a better period because they refuse to go do a light workout.

I get some people have atrocious periods. Mine used to give me killer cramps and were unreasonably heavy, plus my energy crashes during the week too. The right birth control helped with that, and what that didn't take care of, healthy living has. You don't have to suffer in pain, ladies!

Some of us can't take BCP due to side effects or age. Or both (trust me, if I could take them, I would. I did for many years and they likely saved my fertility by preventing my uterus from destroying itself and both of my ovaries). Once you get much beyond 35 they are contraindicated. We're not all 20 somethings, yaknow.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    since we're on the topic of excessive bleeding (well, I am and a few others).... does anyone else get the tissue clot stuff? I mean like huge golf ball size chunks of tissue coming out?? When that happens on a run, it's really..uh...unpleasant to do anything but run to the restroom and get that outta my pants immediately.

Really.

I'm glad OP doesn't have these problems. But I actually do. And it hasn't put me out to take it easy on my first few days of flow and save the serious work outs for when it lightens up a bit.
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    I try to work out when I can when I am on my period, but I have PMDD, so it's very hard to motivate myself.

Between the extreme mood swings, the severe migraines, the unbelievable fatigue, the disgusting nausea, and the horrible cramps, exercising is the last thing on my mind.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    me, i love working out when i have my period. it makes the blood squirt out.

oooooh. squats and deadlifts! *squirt*

Ooooh! Treadmill! *squirt! squirt! squirt!*

Gross? Yeah, well not everyone is the same. I bleed like i been shot and tampons are useless. Ever try running with a maxipad? Can you say RASH?!?!?

hahaha. Yeah. I don't particularly care what anyone else thinks, but I thought I'd share for those who might be pursuaded to agree with OP.... some of us don't work out when we are bleeding to keep the gym from turning into a biohazard zone.

BWAHAHAHHA YES i totally agree with this. i havent had a period in a while, but the flow used to be so bad i would soak through my underwears and pants even with a tampon and i would NOTTTT be caught dead exerting myself on the deadlift machine to have the blood nigara falling out of my uterus and all over my yoga pants.

its not an excuse, every woman has a different flow. i`m not going to call out a poor bleeding woman for not HITTING THA GYM when shes at home with massive cramps and sobbing at pictures of baby animals. just not going to happen haha she can exercise after her period
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    I've tried working out while on my period a few times, more recently was Jazzercise for 1 hour. That stupid super tampon didn't stand a chance, and I'M ON BC. D: SO glad I had navy lycra on. But it admittedly KINDA helped with the cramps; I just felt suuuper sensitive afterwards in the uterus/ladybits area the rest of the day. Moral of the story, do what you can. You know your own limits. A nice and easy walk if you're up to it is way better than a few more hours on the couch. :flowerforyou:
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    I feel SO sorry for any men who have read through this thread! :laugh:

Why? Oh my god, women like you, and the men for whom you feel sorry, disgust me.
  • aprilgraciete
    aprilgraciete Posts: 37 Member
    On a side note, I read somewhere that a woman burns more calories right before her tom. It is an extra 100-300 calories per day. I think it is on day 26 or something of her cycle.

Interesting! Maybe that explains why many of us get really hungry right before our periods start.

No, that's your body wanting you to eat more to prepare for pregnancy.

Yeah it is. I think I read it in women's health or something. Your cravings are because of all the extra calories burned. That's why I don't deny myself what I crave lol. My body must know what it's doing "Alright, if you really think I NEED that brownie to survive I guess I'll HAVE to eat it"
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    With a single MFP thread, 243 women's cycles came into sync. And because of that, 243 men would like to say, "Thanks for that MFP, you muthaf*cker..."

:) I think its great that you are participating in this discussion.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    since we're on the topic of excessive bleeding (well, I am and a few others).... does anyone else get the tissue clot stuff? I mean like huge golf ball size chunks of tissue coming out?? When that happens on a run, it's really..uh...unpleasant to do anything but run to the restroom and get that outta my pants immediately.

Really.

I'm glad OP doesn't have these problems. But I actually do. And it hasn't put me out to take it easy on my first few days of flow and save the serious work outs for when it lightens up a bit.

yes. usually on day three. thats the uterus lining to my knowledge!
This discussion has been closed.