Little Kids Telling You That You Are Fat

Options

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Luckily I've never had anyone in my family tell me that I'm fat. I've actually had my grandmother tell me I'm too skinny!
    I couldn't imagine anyone in my family being that blunt, you always expect your family to support you and be kind.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My oldest son tells me I am fat. I am not all that offended by it because I am fat. But my reply to him is that I am working on it. What does get to me though is he tries to tell me I need cheat days and that he cant tell that I have lost any weight, that I look the same to him.

Growing up I was offended daily by my father. I wasnt fat at all yet he would pat mine and my sisters tummy area and ask us if we had gained any weight, telling us we looked pregnant. Totally gave us a complex about weight.
  • alikrorp225
    Options
    My daughter was in the 5th grade and her body was changing. Another kid asked her if SHE was pregnant?!

Kids are both blunt and jerks sometimes. However, my kids are very sensitive to others' feelings and thankfully, have never had the problem of making inappropriate comments to others. They are now, 17, 14, and 11.

The thing is that unless the kids have heard the word "fat" used and saw an overweight person to whom it was being referred to, I don't think they know the difference on their own. In other words, it's a learned behavior. Just like the differences in race. I distinctly remember the day I heard someone use a derogatory remark towards a person of another race. It was a racist relative in town for a visit. It shocked me, because I'd never thought of the differences before. It was a sad day. Thankfully, even at age 6, I made the choice not to let it matter to me. A person's a person, no matter the size or race. :) I'll say it again: A child who makes a "fat" comment learned that somewhere, either home or school.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    why not let kids just be honest and all of us take it as the only honest criticism we are likely to hear?
  • bricktowngal
    bricktowngal Posts: 206
    Options
    Yeah, I can relate My grandkids pictured, tell me I'm fat too! But of course, they call their mother fat as well and she is 5'4" and weighs 108. Brats! all of them!!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that parents need to remind their kids about politeness and how to talk to others, kids don't usually have a good perception of the world around them. What's big to them at that age- at our age is normal... Not to mention lack of vocabulary!

Sorry you have to deal with that! Hopefully as she gets older she will gain some insight and good manners. And judging by your profile pic you are NOT huge or whatever she said by any means- at least not to me. And' I'm not 7 :wink:
  • a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    Options
    why not let kids just be honest and all of us take it as the only honest criticism we are likely to hear?

So I'm supposed to just sit back and let a 7-year-old continuously tell me "You're ugly" and ask me "Why are you so fat? You are the fattest person I know"? Great.
  • c0untingsheep
    c0untingsheep Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Tell them they're adopted. Ha.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    They don't understand what they are saying. When I was a kid I thought 30 was dang near dead and was aghast when I found out anyone was over that. At that age they don't understand that weight is a sensitive issue with people. Unfortunately some will never learn but those are a bit harder to forgive for their comments (at that age it is just stupid and insensitive).

My friends 7 year old made a comment to me when I first started this change in my life that has stuck with me. He looked at me and asked why my arms were fat like Popeye's. My friend was mortified and almost in tears but I used that as my motivation. In my case he was right and without the social consciousness of an adult he wasn't afraid to say it.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old son would ask me why dont I join the Biggest Loser.... Then one day tell me I look skinnier...then tell others "fat like mom." It is a wake up call, but my 11 year old has weight issues and knows bad food and good food and exercise but I can tell when it gets to her....that is when it gets to me and I hit the exercise twice as hard or break down because all the hard work doesnt seem to be paying off (the give up state). I have to remember to not let her see this side because she refused to eat for a day.:frown:
  • incfighters
    incfighters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel! when i was in junior high, i'd hang out with friends to pick up their little brothers and sisters from the elementary school. and one kid nicknamed me "seal". and would always call me seal whenever he saw me.
    i didn't get it at first because the nickname came out of nowhere, but soon figured out what he was talking about. :(
  • alikrorp225
    Options

So I'm supposed to just sit back and let a 7-year-old continuously tell me "You're ugly" and ask me "Why are you so fat? You are the fattest person I know"? Great.

Nope. I don't agree with that poster at all. It's one thing to be honest. It's another to be rude. It goes with the old adage: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." They need to be taught to be sensitive to others' feelings.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

this sounds like a 7 year old who has much deeper issues going on than just teasing someone. I wonder how her parents talk to each other, or even worse, to her. Hurt people hurt people.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Because one, criticism is worth nothing if it's not asked for, and two, they're children that need to be taught some manners. Do YOU go up to random strangers and say, "Hi, I think you're fat and ugly. Have a nice day!" No. It's not cute or funny to be told that by a kid, unless maybe perhaps it's your own kid.

For what it's worth, OP, I honestly think you're very pretty. It really hurts to hear those things (heard them EVERY DAY 5th grade-11th grade in school), but shrug them off and keep going. Especially if it's from a dumb kid.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Kids in school told me I looked like I weighed 200 pounds while only at 150-155. My current profile picture is me at that weight. I weigh 139 now... I'll show them.

Exactly! I love seeing how those who were thin in school "chunked out" while I am sliming down.:bigsmile:
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    In reality most of us can tell the difference between a child making an honest observation and one being deliberately rude. It sounds like this child is being deliberately rude. I liked one person's comment though that the child may have her own self esteem issues. Certainly she should not be allowed to treat you this way, you have rights as well as a human being. She can be given a time out or sent to her room until she is willing to apologise. She needs a lesson in good manners but also noticed for being good. She may only get attention when being bad. The reality is words do hurt us, no matter what the old saying about "sticks and stones my break my bones but words will never hurt me". I am sorry she has been hurtful to you, no one deserves that.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they just don't really understand what they are saying (well depending on their age). My almost 4 years old daughter told me that I have a big belly the other day. She was comparing her size to mine, so of course I am bigger.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wow! Kids these days. It makes me wonder if they are hearing their parents talk that way about other adults.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    When my sister was pregnant for my nephew, her daughter, my niece, decided to pat my belly and say I looked like mommy... I feel your pain.