Little Kids Telling You That You Are Fat

Options
1234568»

Replies

• FullMetalWitch
    FullMetalWitch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    True story: When I was very little, mom and I were sitting behind an obese woman in a red dress at church. I turned to mom and whispered as loudly as possible, "MOMMY, THAT'S A BIIIIIIIG RED DRESS!!!" Mom has never let me forget this story.

But karma struck yesterday when a little girl in a shopping cart spotted me on my way home from roller derby and yelled, "LOOK MOMMY, SHE'S A STRIPPER!!!"

Kids are hilariously uninhibited. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the opinion of anyone young enough to think Hannah Montana is more important than the president can't be taken seriously.
  • beach_floatie
    Options
    This is so not about your weight or appearance. Does your niece know you are working on improving your fitness/health? If so, at 7 she is able to understand that it's a topic close to your heart and is "pushing your buttons" to get a reaction. Kids that age are in a developmental stage where independence and control is at the forefront. They "test" rude comments and kind of enjoy the fact that they can control someone's reaction and feelings. At that age they are not, however, able to really empathize. It's a bad combination. The good news is that with guidance and good role modeling they quickly move past it and learn that there are more appropriate ways to exert control and feel a sense of independence. The best thing to do is to not give her the reaction that could fuel the comments. Hold your head up high and tell her you love the way you look and you're taking steps to be even more fabulous. Another good line is "I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't." It's all about showing her you are confident. :happy:
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced that, but sometimes when I'm out with my mom shopping, there will be kids who stare at her (she has discoid lupus and even though she wears makeup, her sores are pretty visible) and it pisses me off so much. Mainly because although my mom has had it for a long time, she's still very sensitive about it and it hurts her feelings. I tell her to ignore it, but sometimes the parents will watch their children, stare so obviously and won't say anything. I understand kids will be kids, but it's a bit harder when someone is already insecure about something.

If I were ever insulted by a child, I'm the type to laugh it off and won't think twice about it, but some people who are a bit more insecure may not be so nonchalant. I wish more parents paid attention to their child while they're around others, and teach them how uncouth it is to stare at or insult strangers.
  • kayish
    kayish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a day care and had a few different kids say something about my stomach and if I had a baby in it. 0.o At the time I was losing weight too. It was always embarrassing. And now I work in a nursing home and believe it or not old people have even less of a filter than kids. idk how many times I've had residents comment about my size or say rude things. There are some who are not all there, and I understand but others are just plain rude.