Why do some people on here say that cheese is unhealthy???

Options

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    cheese is ok in moderation,,,,,, but the sodium in most cheese is just crazy!!11 unless you get swiss (((works in a deli))) ps lunch meat is all bad ;-)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    and btw most people in this world are lactose intolerant, without even knowing. i am pretty sure i am since i cut dairy every year when i fast (for religious reasons). i feel and look loads better after a fast, but still i don't wanna give it up.
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cheese is high in phosphorus (a no no for people with kidney failure) and has alot of sodium. And quite a bit of cholesterol.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I would rather be dead than live a life without cheese.

And sour cream.

And wine.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Giant lie. It is a fat laden product compared to other forms of protein but it does not slow your metabolism. Where do people get this stuff?
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    Too much cheese can make one constipated. :blushing:

I never had this problem. Before tracking my food intake, I've had days where I'd eat a block of cheese and a jar of peanut butter for my 2 work meals...:blushing:
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    dairy makes us older FASTER that's what i meant. i didn't even say it makes us FAT, but it does help make us fat

The French must have missed the memo.

p.s. Yes, you did say it makes us fat. Reread what you typed.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I probably missed it somewhere but i have never known for cheese to slow down metabolism.

I will eat cheese during the week because i like the taste. Cottage cheese and i kinda don't hang as well because of when i was pregnant i threw it up. I gave up cheese chips because they didn't taste as good anymore, though cracker chips and cheez its in moderation (the cheez its i have only had twice this week) taste good.

My 2 cents on the matter.
  • kodakdigitalcamera
    Options
    In my opinion cheese is relatively healthy. The issue with it is it has saturated fat which is commonly believed to cause heart disease. The reality is that no study as of yet has conclusively proven saturated fat causes heart disease but it is a possibility. The body manufactures excess cholesterol levels if calories are too high including on a low fat. The jury is still out but yes I think its healthy for the most part.
  • Rilke
    Options
    Cheese is high in phosphorus (a no no for people with kidney failure) and has alot of sodium. And quite a bit of cholesterol.

But for everyone else, phosphorus (the type naturally found in food) is just fine.

Dietary choesterol has never been shown to raise body cholesterol.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love cheese.. I eat it in moderation, just like everything else!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    its high in saturated fat, not cheese like feta and goat cheese but the average cheese is mostly oil. thats why its all sheeney when it melts and looks like a pile of grease
    its high in cholesterol and sodium too
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    dairy slows down your metabolism

Source?

Ya really, I never heard that one before.

Cheese is fine if you eat the proper servings, it's just easy to go overboard (soo...soo easy).

There's no way dairy slows down your metabolism. I have a slow metabolism disorder (hypothyroid) and my doctor recommends MORE low-fat dairy because my slow metabolism causes calcium and B-12 deficiencies. I don't understand this comment.
  • Rilke
    Options
    its high in saturated fat, not cheese like feta and goat cheese but the average cheese is mostly oil. thats why its all sheeney when it melts and looks like a pile of grease
    its high in cholesterol and sodium too

Cheese contains oil?

I give up. There's just too much crap being posted and I am tired. Farewell thread.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have heard (so take this with the grain of salt that it is) that the reason people avoid cheese is because of what its usually paired with. Like crackers and bread.

I, personally, don't subscribe to that belief.

Now, that being said. I LOVE cheese and will never, ever, ever give it up. If I'm short on time, I'll pack cheese and crackers in my lunch and I can usually still come under my calorie goal.

Cheese lovers unite!!!!
  • hutchy90
    hutchy90 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You're going to learn that there are plenty of people here who think anything besides lettuce that you personally grow in your back yard is poison that is killing you.

True fact, I've seen it.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    dairy makes us older FASTER that's what i meant. i didn't even say it makes us FAT, but it does help make us fat

The French must have missed the memo.

p.s. Yes, you did say it makes us fat. Reread what you typed.

oh come on, i said it makes us fat, old and sick, but i didn't mean literally if you eat cheese you're gonna instantly go fat sick or old. dairy is not good for you people!
  • kmm7309
    Options
    it is not natural for humans to consume dairy. Think about it, google it.
    i LOVE it though, but it does make us old and sick. and fat.

I think you are misunderstanding some evolutionary evidence. For most of human history, all humans over the age of 2-3 were lactose intolerant. Then, while we were separating onto different continents, the area known as Europe today experienced a drought. Humans drank cow milk to sustain themselves during this extensive drought. During a period of genetic evolution, the European humans developed a genetic tolerance to milk that most other humans did not after a long period of time of drinking milk. Today, most cultures do not have a milk tolerance after about age three, but most of those people with European descendants still do. It's just evolutionary changes, that doesn't mean it's not natural. If it was not natural, than NOBODY would have the genetic mutation.
  • kmm7309
    Options
    You're going to learn that there are plenty of people here who think anything besides lettuce that you personally grow in your back yard is poison that is killing you.

True fact, I've seen it.

Agreed. Everyone has their opinions about what constitutes as healthy. Some people think that you can eat snack cakes and stay under your calorie goal and you're fine. Others would disagree and say that you can NEVER eat snack cakes and be fine. Some people abhor things do to allergies, medical conditions, or negative personal experiences. Just listen to your body and do what helps you.