I LOVE YOU

Options

Replies

• EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't need to hear "I love you" all the time. I think when you throw the phrase around constantly it loses some of its impact. I don't need the reassurance over the phone.

The only requirement I have is a good night kiss before falling asleep.
  • beauty2323
    beauty2323 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    During the phone calls... after the phone calls...
    before we leave each other... when we see each other.... On facebook lol
    We say it A LOT!!! :happy:

Yes, we are one of those annoying couples..................... but WE DON'T CARE! :wink:

We're just overly affectionate & I love it:happy:
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    Absolutely. Whenever we hang up the phone or one of us leaves the house/work (we work in the same place) or go to bed. Even if we're upset about something, we say it. We give a kiss, sometimes a hug. We don't leave each other without some sort of expression of love. We do this with our daughter as well.
    It isn't because "you never know what will happen", it is because we just do.

This. Completely. We consider it little unnecessary-but-enjoyable reminders. We worked hard to be together and we like to tell each other as often as possible that we still love and appreciate one another, even if it's just by a simple hand signal, wink, blown kiss, love note, text message, etc.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Yes. After every phone call, and when we say goodbye.

And we've been together over 10 years.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That is so true....I feel the same way....hysterical!!!
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No, usually I am annoyed by the end of the phone call. But it is a really good idea to do it because you never know what might happen

I feel the same way!!!! Hysterical!!!!
  • brokenartist
    brokenartist Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Every chance I get, never know when the last time will be and you can never say those words (that are so "overused") to that person that you truly love...

And simply not saying "I LOVE YOU" because that phrase (among so many others) is not used properly or with real feelings behind it by other people is like saying "well son, of course "overused phrase", but because many people dont use those words in the right way I am not going to tell them to you out of respect for you"...plan and simple, dont unless you mean it, and I mean it every time I say it
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    No, it's overuse.
    I am secure enough that I don't need to hear it over and over all the time.

This is how I feel
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every time we finish talking on the phone, when I leave for work, whenever we feel like it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My bf and I do. My son and I also say "I love you" to each other when I drop him off at school or wherever, and my mom and I say it before we hang up the phone too.

As morbid as it sounds, it's just kinda that whole "if this is the last thing I ever say to them, I want it to be that I love them" type thing.

I don't say it if I don't mean it, so I don't care if it's "overused" or whatever. And with my bf, I'm the only woman he's ever said those 3 precious words to besides his mother and his grandmother, so I don't feel like it's cheapened or anything.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Yes my boyfriend and I always do. No matter if we are talking on the phone or texting.
    I also always, always tell my kids that I love them every time I hang up the phone.
    If something was to happen to me I want them to know that I always loved them....
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Nah. We say "I love you" before one of us leaves for work. We don't make it a big point to if we're talking on the phone during the day though.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    My bf and I do. My son and I also say "I love you" to each other when I drop him off at school or wherever, and my mom and I say it before we hang up the phone too.

As morbid as it sounds, it's just kinda that whole "if this is the last thing I ever say to them, I want it to be that I love them" type thing.

I don't say it if I don't mean it, so I don't care if it's "overused" or whatever. And with my bf, I'm the only woman he's ever said those 3 precious words to besides his mother and his grandmother, so I don't feel like it's cheapened or anything.

AMEN!!!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, it's overuse.
    I am secure enough that I don't need to hear it over and over all the time.

This is how I feel
    I had a feeling. People who do this seem too needy.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My husband was raised in a very affectionate family, so he is ALWAYS saying "I love you", holding hands, hugging, kissing... So yeah, he always ends phone call with ILY as well.

I was raised in a hands-off family (unless there was a cute baby around), so it took me a little time to warm up to THAT much affection. I couldn't live without it now. :-) I'm happy that our children will grow up in an affectionate family.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't need to hear "I love you" all the time. I think when you throw the phrase around constantly it loses some of its impact. I don't need the reassurance over the phone.

For us, it's not reassurance. We know it. But it's still nice to hear it, especially if we're having a not-so-fun conversation. Saying "I love you" keeps us from ending a conversation on a bad note.

I don't think there's a right or wrong in this situation. If you and your spouse don't say it every time, and it works for you, then that's ok. But I don't think it signals insecurity or anything negative if a couple does say it frequently. We say it to each other because we want to, not because we have to or think we should.
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 508
    Options
    YES! we say it every time we talk to each other! Been married almost 14 years. We also kiss goodnight EVERY night and he kisses me good bye every time we part ways....even if I stop by his job for a few minutes he will kiss me good-bye.

We also take a bath together every night...it's How we go over the events of the day/week and discuss upcoming plans.
    We're lovebirds and I wouldn't have it any other way. We probably annoy most people but I don't care! We still hold hands in public all the time too!
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Not really... predictability with that phrase can drain the meaning out of it. I save those exact words for the moments that need it.

Instead, I prefer to overload her phone with dirty text messages at various inconvenient times.

^^^THIS
    My husband and I have been a couple for almost 10 yrs, we barely say it...we don't have to. we know....that's why we are together....when it is said I feel that it means more....My ex used to say it ALL the time, to the point where it was annoying, and it felt like something he was required to say.

Do I need to sing More than words by Extreme now? No I'll just post the URL :heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes, and before either one leaves the house.

For me it's important. Didn't used to be.

It is now. I had gone out the night before drinking. So Was very hung over the next day. Hubby went 4x4ing in his truck he had JUST had lifted two days before with his brothers. I woke up to frantic phone calls, and my SIL showing up at the house to take me to the hospital. (we lived in Phoenix, Arizona at the time it rained the night before) His truck had slid off a side of the mountain and rolled. He either jumped or fell out his window with it rolling. Lucky it didn't land on him. He was off work for 4 months. So now it's just important I hear it.. b/c it could be the last.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    No, it's overuse.
    It's like the converse of crying wolf. I am secure enough that I don't need to hear it over and over all the time.
    And so is she. We laugh at people who ooze "love"
    One lady said to her husband "I just love you"
    He just smiled and thanked her. That was not good enough.
    "And?" she said. He rolled his eyes. "AND!" she persisted..
    "And I love you too" he droned in an exasperated tone. She smiled sweetly and ate a potato chip.
    That marriage is doomed.

hm... yeah in that situation i can see where there may be a problem.
    i'm glad i never feel like i have to force it.
    We're both business people, and at work, we talk to each other as business people.
    When the time is right, we say it. It's very special.

no no i was talking about the potato chip eating wife. obviously her husband didn't feel the need to say it and she forced it out of him. i don't force it out of my husband. but for the most part (in reference to the book i mentioned earlier), my love language is physical touch and so is my husbands which kind of stinks with his career choice... he's gone all the time. LOL SO i think our "i love you" is more of a way to make up for the fact that "touching" (a hug, kiss, etc) isn't always possible for us.

**or may have mentioned the book... i may not have, but i know i was thinking about it while i was typing. LOL