Cathe Fans Part 5

Options

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    So after a disappointing couple of sessions with a personal trainer- I just realised that I could have spent that money on some Cathe DVDs.

I'd love suggestions if what to get - Xtrain or maybe something else

I'm within my healthybweightbrange but looking to lose some fat and tone up- especially my torso.

I live Chalean Extreme and running when its not too cold but am looking for some variety. What would people suggest I get

Thanks very much in advance for your time.
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day! :bigsmile:

I'm officially off for the week, which is such a nice feeling! We'll just be running around finding fun things to do for the next several days, so I don't go crazy being cooped up! The weather here is still well below average, so not nice enough to really kick the kids outside for too long.

Monday night was a leg workout while watching The Voice...I wanted to watch the whole show, so I did squats, lunges, leg extensions and cardio leg work during the show for about a 1/2 hour until my legs started having a hard time holding me up! :laugh: It's so interesting to me that I can do an entire Cathe video of heavy lifting and am fine, but 1/2 hour of bodyweight legs workouts leave my legs feeling like jello and super sore the next day! Last night was Cross Fire...for the first time ever, I did the WHOLE workout. I thought I might die...my throat is still burning from breathing so hard! :laugh:

Jaz--If you are looking for workouts that are shorter, or with shorter pre-mixes, I can tell you which ones I've got that I like. Let us know what type you're looking for (cardio, heavy weights, shorter, longer, etc).

Tami--What a nice anniversary gift! Sounds like the perfect fit in your room! I'm glad to hear you had a fun anniversary! I got a good laugh out of your friends comment at bootcamp, only because I think that would probably be my comment too! I'm glad she's willing t come back for more! My workouts lately have been just whatever sounds good, but sticking to M-W-F Strength and T-Th-Sa-Su cardio or yoga. I try to sneak a rest day in there once a week!

Laurie--Nice job on getting back into the workouts! Both of them sound perfect to easy back into it. I hope everything went well with your Echo yesterday.

Michelle--I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL's passing, but how wonderful that you were able to get there and say your goodbyes. I am sending lots of prayers for peace and strength to your family, and you go through this difficult time!

Laurel--Sounds like you got the snow you wanted, although at this time in the year, I'm ready for it to be gone myself! I can't believe it's the last week of X-Train--that sure went fast! What's next on your radar?

Time to check on the boys...One slept over at a friends house and the other had a friend sleep over here. My hubby told all 4 of the boys I'd take them to open hockey, so I better get moving if I'm going to get them all there in time. So nice of him to volunteer me to do that! :grumble:

Erika
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Yesterday I had an appointment and a lunch date with a friend, so I was MIA. I got a great workout in before I left, though. I started with XT Chest, Back and Shoulders, and followed it with Cross Fire/core premix. Love that workout. Today was an interesting choice for me. I don't know what got into me, but I decided to make my own 'Double Trouble' workout with Cardio Leg Blast. I started with the workout as recorded, and then when it ended, went right into the Cardio Only Premix and followed it with the Strength Only Premix. It was tough.....but fun!

Erika, I was laughing when you talked about Cross Fire!! I hope your throat is feeling better. It's a good one, isn't it? I love it because it flies by for me just because it is broken down into so many sections. And on days when I don't have all of the time, I'll skip a Tabata or so to make it right for me. Good stuff from Cathe there. I hope you enjoy your week off!!

Tami, great job with the workouts! It sounds like you got a tough one at your Bootcamp class, but at least your friend is willing to do it again. When I was doing Cross Fire yesterday, I really was toying with maybe trying Cathe's February rotation for a few weeks. But I think not having a set rotation for a few weeks might be a good thing too, especially if I'm going to tackle P90X/X2 next. I suppose I'll figure it before next week! Only two more workouts left in this rotation. Crazy how quickly it went.....and this from a girl who just a few years ago thought I'd never make it through a 90 day rotation. :ohwell:

Laurie, I hope your appointment went well yesterday. I bet it felt good to workout again! I'm glad you didn't have the same breathing issues. Hopefully that means you are on the road to recovery. I hope you enjoyed your lunch as well. Not too many people work for the same company for 40 years anymore, so that's quite an achievement.

jaz, I'd love to give your some recommendations. Alot depends on what you like to do vs what you don't like to do. For instance, if you like steady state step routines, XTrain isn't it. But if you like more functional fitness routines, XTrain may be it. If you don't mind impact, XTrain is good. But if you prefer lower impact, Cathe's Low Impact Series is superb as well. Some of Cathe's older series are really fun. One often overlooked series that I happen to think is fantastic is Cathe's 4 Day Split series. The workouts consist of 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength. But there are dozens of premixes on those DVDs that means you can make the workouts pretty much anything you want. And, in my opinion, those workouts contain some of Cathe's best strength routines. There are really so many to choose from. If I were to put together the 'perfect' series and could only pick one of each type of workouts, I'd probably go with these workouts: STS Total Body (for a total body strength workout); XTrain Chest, Back and Shoulders as well as Back and Biceps (for split sets); Lower Body Blast (for legs); Kick, Punch, Crunch for kickboxing (an oldie.....but still my favorite), Step Blast for steady state step work (another oldie but goodie); Body Max 2 for Cardio and Weights (another versatile DVD with the premixes) Drill Max (for circuit training) and Afterburn (for lower impact circuit/functional fitness). Those are just some quick thoughts but, please, ask all the questions you want!!

Michelle, I'm thinking of you this week. :flowerforyou:

See you tomorrow!

Laurel
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies ~ Last night’s Insanity class was a toughie :wink: So 2-for2 this week on tough evening classes forsure! I’m not sure if it was starting with 3 sets of suicides + burpees after the warm-up rounds or what, but the regular workout that followed had some tough stuff in there too. I’m not going to lie, I was tired when we were done :laugh: :wink: Today was Cardio Leg Blast and tonight will be Spinning.

Jaz: Sorry to hear you’ve had a disappointing go when all your trying to do is get into a good workout program! I love that you are hanging in there though and still looking for what fits your needs & asking for some ideas! I second what Laurel said about Cathe’s workouts.:bigsmile: Low Impact Series being amazing and offering a lot of variety. XTrain as well. 4DS has so many options, pre-mixes galore in that programs as well (again, just like Laurel said). Let us know specifically what you’re looking to do and/or what types of workouts you enjoy and we can be more specific in our recommendations.:flowerforyou:

Erika: Yay for being off work this week ~ very fun!:drinker: I’m so excited you tried CrossFire! Not sure from the “breathing so hard my throat is still sore” if you liked it but I commend you for getting through it and hoped you enjoyed it. I love that one and have missed it through XTrain. Will be doing it again soon though because it’s in her rotation I’ll be doing next. We started watching The Voice too! I really enjoy that show a lot & I’m loving Usher & Shakira this season, Blake absolutely cracks me up. :laugh: Yes, my friend is so sore again today she almost cxld the Booty Barre class she was going to but didn’t. She has a great attitude about it though and thinks the “shock” will do her some good. :laugh: Nice job with the workouts and doing what feels good to you but at the same time having something in mind! That’s awesome.

Laurel: Good grief lady! :noway: :bigsmile: You’re going out with fireworks on this rotation. Nice job. Double Trouble is right! Great job. I’m going to make a note of that for a day that I have the extra time …. :wink: Give it a go! It is so crazy that we are just 2 workouts away from being done with XT. I’m not sure why I continue to feel shocked that it goes so fast, I guess because like you said the first time I went to do a 90 day rotation I thought, wow this is a long time. Always enjoy these rotations though! I know what you mean on rotation/no rotation, what to do next before starting another longer one. I think for me, I need to at least have something set and I can change as I go, which I plan on doing or I will be standing there looking at my DVD’s wondering what to do that morning. :laugh:

Laurie: Hope you had a great appt! Anxious to hear how it went.:flowerforyou:
    Talk to you ladies tomorrow ~ Tami
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm looking for cardio for when its too miserable to run, to start with. I don't mind high impact. I also would like some extra back and torso work as that is my worse part of my body. I love Chalean Extreme so something like that.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Can omeone explain per-mixes to me. Can you uses bits from different DVDS- specifically talking about xtrain here.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Just ordered xtrain back DVD. Getting it to see if I like it, I'll Oder the whole set. Very excited - cant wait to get started.
  • bajangrl29
    bajangrl29 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Thanks for all of the well wishes:flowerforyou:

I'm still here with the kids as it is Spring Break this week and TG we did not go on our usual vacation this time. I have been handling Swim practice at night which ends at 9pm and then prepping for both the funeral and packing for Europe. Hubby has been gone all week so it has been a bit hectic but this morning I picked up my mom so she is here until April 13th:love: This morning I did KCM Circuit Burn and I actually feel it in my glutes from those Squat Curtsey lunges:bigsmile: Yesterday I was running errands with the youngest until late in the day and missed my run but then the scale gifted me with a lb loss:laugh:

Erika- I love your schedule and life with the new job was definitely a great decision:bigsmile:

Jaz- Kickboxing is always a great body shredder along with boxing especially for sculpting the arms and the stomach/back. TurboFire, TurboJam, Kathy Coffey-Meyer, Kettlebells..great body workouts that definitely increases the HR. Laurel's choices were great and some of Cathe's older dvds are cheap on Ebay.:wink:

Laurie- Small steps first until your body is read to respond:wink: The most important thing right now is getting healthy.:drinker:

Laurel- Thanks for the well wishes. The week started rough for sure as I'm trying to figure out the steps bsed on my hubby's reactions. Men are taught to react differently than women so emotionally this has been a tough week for both of us.

Tami- Finally you're tired:laugh: :wink: that must of been an intense intense class:bigsmile: Awesome Anniversary gifts..Cheers to great husbands and great gifts. :drinker:

Michelle
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Okay, I admit it.....I was really feeling yesterday's ridiculous workout when I got up this morning. I was actually surprised how much I felt it in my legs. So I decided to go a little lighter in my cardio today. I pulled out one I've only done twice--Cathe's Low Impac Series Low Impact Challenge workout. That's the step routine from the LIS. I actually enjoyed it this morning. I keep telling myself that if I would just do it a couple more times, I'd have the moves mastered. Maybe I'll do that over the next few weeks because it really is a good step workout for days like today....when you don't want too much. But that was the end of the 'light' stuff for me, because I decided to make my own 'Double Trouble' workout again today with my XTrain workout. I did Biceps and Triceps.....and doubled everything. There are nine rounds in this workout, so I did the first three and repeated, the second three and repeated and so on. YOWZA!! I know these smaller muscle groups don't need that much work, but I just LOVE that workout.....and I love working out my biceps and triceps. But I was spent at the end. I actually had some time left in the morning, so I did a short premix of Cathe's Yoga Relax which helped put everything back in order. And I can move both my arms and legs again, so that's a good thing! :tongue:

Tami, sounds like you've been having quite a week at the gym! Sounds like good stuff.....but tough stuff. Yeah, I've decided to end this XTrain rotation with a bang this week. Don't quite know what's gotten into me. Must be the notion that it is spring and I want to have my spring/summer body ready when I need to start putting on those short sleeved shirts and shorts! Like I said, I really felt yesterday's workout today, and, as you know, I love that! :laugh: So I might do that again. Same with this one today. In fact, I'm kind of leaning towards a Double Trouble kind of rotation the next few weeks leading into my next rotation. We'll see about that though! It's tough! Like you, I need enough of an idea of what I'm going to be doing each day so I'm not sitting on the floor staring at my DVDs my entire workout time!

Michelle, so glad to hear from you! I'm so glad your Mom is there to help you out. You've, no doubt, had alot on your hands this week with everything that's going on. Great job keeping up with the workouts, though.

jaz, congratulations on your XTrain purchase!! Let us know what you think. XTrain is a very good series. Regarding premixes, they are workouts Cathe and her team compile either using the standard workout in different ways (making the workouts longer or shorter, adding bonus work, rearranging the workout, etc) or adding bits from other workouts into the workout. For example, in XTrain, Cathe has created an entire workout rotation with premixes which uses the cardio plus adds one body part per day for strength training (from her Burn Sets DVD). The XTrain premixes also include additional core work, and then she also has different 'challenges' on the DVDs, like 100 reps of certain body parts. So alot available on one workout.

Erika and Laurie, hope you are well!

See you all tomorrow!

Laurel
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Okay, I admit it.....I was really feeling yesterday's ridiculous workout when I got up this morning. I was actually surprised how much I felt it in my legs. So I decided to go a little lighter in my cardio today. I pulled out one I've only done twice--Cathe's Low Impac Series Low Impact Challenge workout. That's the step routine from the LIS. I actually enjoyed it this morning. I keep telling myself that if I would just do it a couple more times, I'd have the moves mastered. Maybe I'll do that over the next few weeks because it really is a good step workout for days like today....when you don't want too much. But that was the end of the 'light' stuff for me, because I decided to make my own 'Double Trouble' workout again today with my XTrain workout. I did Biceps and Triceps.....and doubled everything. There are nine rounds in this workout, so I did the first three and repeated, the second three and repeated and so on. YOWZA!! I know these smaller muscle groups don't need that much work, but I just LOVE that workout.....and I love working out my biceps and triceps. But I was spent at the end. I actually had some time left in the morning, so I did a short premix of Cathe's Yoga Relax which helped put everything back in order. And I can move both my arms and legs again, so that's a good thing! :tongue:

Tami, sounds like you've been having quite a week at the gym! Sounds like good stuff.....but tough stuff. Yeah, I've decided to end this XTrain rotation with a bang this week. Don't quite know what's gotten into me. Must be the notion that it is spring and I want to have my spring/summer body ready when I need to start putting on those short sleeved shirts and shorts! Like I said, I really felt yesterday's workout today, and, as you know, I love that! :laugh: So I might do that again. Same with this one today. In fact, I'm kind of leaning towards a Double Trouble kind of rotation the next few weeks leading into my next rotation. We'll see about that though! It's tough! Like you, I need enough of an idea of what I'm going to be doing each day so I'm not sitting on the floor staring at my DVDs my entire workout time!

Michelle, so glad to hear from you! I'm so glad your Mom is there to help you out. You've, no doubt, had alot on your hands this week with everything that's going on. Great job keeping up with the workouts, though.

jaz, congratulations on your XTrain purchase!! Let us know what you think. XTrain is a very good series. Regarding premixes, they are workouts Cathe and her team compile either using the standard workout in different ways (making the workouts longer or shorter, adding bonus work, rearranging the workout, etc) or adding bits from other workouts into the workout. For example, in XTrain, Cathe has created an entire workout rotation with premixes which uses the cardio plus adds one body part per day for strength training (from her Burn Sets DVD). The XTrain premixes also include additional core work, and then she also has different 'challenges' on the DVDs, like 100 reps of certain body parts. So alot available on one workout.

Erika and Laurie, hope you are well!

See you all tomorrow!

Laurel

Sorry- still dont understand. Are they chapters that you select on the DVD?
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Hi Ladies ~ Nice Spin class last night, it felt good! :wink: This a.m. I did Bi’s/Tri’s and then followed it up with about 25 min of a Tabatacise pre-mix, just needed a little extra something so this was perfect & lots of fun. Went to the Insane Abs class at noon, which was the same format as last week. Non-stop abwork for 45 min. :smile: Good stuff. It’s nice outside so I hope to head home after work and get the kids out for a nice walk.

Michelle: Great job with KCM Circuit Burn, that one is my favorite of hers! :wink: Nice work, those curtsey lunges do get right in there don’t they?!? I bet it has been a little hectic for you this week without DH. So great that your mom is there now to help out! :laugh: about the “finally you’re tired” comment. Pretty funny.

Laurel: Nice “triple threat” today with a nice Yoga stretch at the end! Great job.:bigsmile: OK, that’s the step routine I tried one time and was like :noway: :huh: I wanted to be able to get it because it seems great but, as you know with my special moments of not getting the choreography on step routines Im not sure when I’ll try that one again. :blushing: I like the Double Trouble concept …. Might have to see if I can squeeze that into this next rotation a couple times a week for my a.m. workouts. Good stuff!

Jaz: Congrats on the XTrain purchase! :drinker: Pre-mixes are either shorter or longer versions of just the standard workout. So for example, instead of just selecting “play” on that DVD you go to the pre-mix options. It will give either a shorter workout or maybe longer or it might give an added abwork section. But it all flows in one workout. :wink: Hope that helps!

Hello Erika & Laurie:flowerforyou:

Talk to you ladies tomorrow ~ Tami
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks 2ablean- I understand know. Bad timing for ordering- because of Easter weekend, I won't get it until well into next week now. : (
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Me again- do you folks realise that we need a dictionary on 'All things Cathe'!!! It's like entering a new world!

So my next question-where can I find all these rotations people are talking about?
  • jaz050465
    Options
    As I am in the UK, I can save a lot on postage and taxes by buying the downloads. Is it possible to use conversion software to burn these onto a disc to watch in my DVD player as this is much more practical for me.

Another question- does she do any cardio DVDs that don't use a step. I've looked at the website but can't seem to find any.i don't really like boxing stuff.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Is anybody up yet? : )
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Really quick check-in today as I'm running out the door in a minute. But I had to come in to celebrate my last day of the XTrain rotation! :drinker: It was a fun rotation. Today was Hard Strikes, which I did with Core 1. I followed it up with PS Legs and Abs. After the past couple of days, this little lighter workout felt fantastic.

Tami, great workout yesterday. I've been thinking about Tabatacise all week and figure I'll do it some time next week. Great add-on, though. 45 minutes of ab work? Yowza! I bet that was fun!!

jaz, I'm not really sure about the conversion software question, to be honest. I have downloaded a few of Cathe's workouts but never tried to burn them on to a DVD before. So I'm sorry to be of no help there. As far as non-step, non-kickboxing Cathe cardio....I would suggest some of her Low Impact series cardio (Cardio Supersets or Afterburn come to mind). For more impact, Cross Fire doesn't use step. These all use other equipment (like weights and slide/glide discs) but no step. And they are all great workouts. I highly recommend them. As far as the rotations, on Cathe's website, there is a Rotations section in the forums area. I believe all of Cathe's rotations (and lots of other people's as well) can be found there. Hope that helps!!

Must run!! Enjoy the weekend!

Laurel
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks stiringwendel.
  • 2BLean
    Options
    Hi Ladies & Happy Friday ~ :bigsmile:

As Laurel mentioned, last day of the XTrain rotation! Always feels good to know you accomplished your goal of a 90-day commitment and at the same time always sad to have it come to an end because I enjoy the rotation.. Although, so many others to try and do so have to move on, right?! :wink: So Hard Strikes this a.m. and tonight will by the Fri eve Spinning class.

Laurel: Thanks so much for doing XTrain together, :flowerforyou: it’s been great and I look forward to what’s next! Another great combo today! I was looking through the “new” rotation to start next week and was making notes where I could add in some “dbl trouble” routines! :laugh: :wink:

Jaz: Sorry I didn’t get to check in earlier, I would have probably been up but just not on my computer yet :laugh: She does have quite a lot of DVD’s that are cardio but you don’t need the step. Laurel named a few. Another one that comes to mind is Cardio Core Circuit. That is always lots of fun, no step required and you get in some good core work as well, hence the name! I will try and look at my inventory this weekend and think of some others without the step.

Hope you all have a great weekend and Happy Easter! :flowerforyou:
    Talk to you on Monday ~ Tami
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks. My Xtrain shoulders and back,arrived yesterday!! I did it withnreallynlightbweights and it was still tough. Need to do it in a bigger room ne tv time though as there was lots of space needed.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    More questions: been reading. NROLFW and have done Chalean Extreme. Both follow a programme which gets harder as you get through each stage. I'm presuming STS is similar. - is that correct?

I'd really appreciate it you could explain how the Xtrain programme works. Does it just get you to to the whole of a different DVD each day or are selected sections chosen which change as you progress through the programme.
    Thanks.