Replies

• RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump! :flowerforyou:
  • laineylou26
    laineylou26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That sounds great - I'm going to have to try it!
  • laineylou26
    Options
    Yum! Great idea!
  • laineylou26
    Options
    You can add some water to it to make sure the chicken is entirely covered...after I add the barbeque sauce, I fill the bottle with water, shake it, and then pour that water on top too. It still keeps the flavor very well. Also, are you putting the crockpot on low?
  • laineylou26
    Options
    I only paid about $20 for mine at Wal-Mart and it works great!
  • baseballmomof3
    Options
    I just join and was looking at the site and there is lots of great ideas.
    Thanks for the post.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry now.. lol

I made this the other day ...came from one of you all on one of the many many Crockpot lists here on MFP, perhaps this one or one in the archives here.

Simple Beef Stroganoff

stew meat
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    fresh mushrooms sliced (I added these and they were awesome added in)

If you add more stew meat, use the 2 cans of soup, if you are using 1 lb, maybe go with 1 can of soup
    Put the lid on, cook on low, depending on the age of your crockpot you'll cook it 5-10 hours. Sounds crazy? lol I know but mine cooks really well since it's only a few years old and I have to snag the low cooked food by 6 hours or it's way past cooked!

Anymore details you can ask and I can try and help but the person sharing the recipe left it pretty cryptic so I had to wing it myself. lol The above is what I did. Over whole wheat noodles or whole wheat rice is yum :)
  • MrsHazra
    MrsHazra Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NealMcVA
    Options
    A favorite of my kids was as follows:
    Put 1 c rice in crock pot
    Drop whole chicken (washed with giblets removed) on top or rice
    Pour can of chicken broth over
    Cook 8 hr on low
    Could put this on in 2 minutes in a.m.

Now that my kids have grown, I use brown rice and I spice it up at little by adding seasoning (italian, Herbs de Provence, whatever) to rice and adding rub to chicken inside and out.

Leftover chicken (if there is any) makes great chicken salad. Or you can add chicken and cold rice to lettuce greens for luncheon salad.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    has anyone ever tried or uses these new (or new to me) electric crock pot / pressure cooker / rice cooker combo units I am starting to see around? There are some made by good companies, Fagor, Cuisinart, etc but I know nothing about them. I like the idea of one unit that can do all three things.

Also, has anyone used the rival crock pot that comes with three different crock inserts for cooking different size meals? I am looking for a good housewarming gift for my nephew and I may have intrigued him about crockpot cooking but he is concerned about fires (which I am not) but I am concerned about overcooking as he is gone a long time in grad school during the day.

I heard Breville makes a crockpot with wrap around cooking? anyone use that one either?

Thanks!

Sunny
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Chicken Lentil stew-like substance

2C lentils (rinsed)
    4 T raw rice
    3 C low sodium vegetable broth
    3 C water
    2 T dehydrated onion
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp dried mustard
    1 tsp turmeric
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    4 oz diced chiles (hot or mild)
    1 T dried parsley
    3 small chicken breast halves

Dump lentils and rice in crock. Add broth and water. Add onion through parsley, stir, then drop in chicken (mine was frozen)> Cook on low until lentils are tender (I came home 9 hours later, and everything was ready.)

I sprinkled madras curry powder and some red pepper flakes on mine. It was yummy (and made 6 cups... 1 cup is 289 calories.)
  • lamorford
    lamorford Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OMG!! This sounds so good!!
  • lpeavy
    lpeavy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    I love pulled pork in the crock pot.

I use tenderloin (it's a little more expensive, but leaner and easier to use). Just put a loin or two in with BBQ sauce and cook on low/med for 8 hours. I used one bottle of sauce for two loins and then I usually add a squirt to my sandwich. It's great in pitas.

I use McCormick"s Pulled Pork seasoning packet and it is delish. Just add ketcup, brown sugar (Splenda), and cider vinegar -directions are on the packet. Yummy on it's own or as a sandwich!
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I'm making pork ribs in the crock pot today. To try and make it less fattening I trimmed the ribs and I cut the BBQ sauce with water. It smells delicious and I can't wait til dinner time.

JAM
  • Jessifer123
    Options
    bump
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I love pulled pork in the crock pot.

I use tenderloin (it's a little more expensive, but leaner and easier to use). Just put a loin or two in with BBQ sauce and cook on low/med for 8 hours. I used one bottle of sauce for two loins and then I usually add a squirt to my sandwich. It's great in pitas.

I use McCormick"s Pulled Pork seasoning packet and it is delish. Just add ketcup, brown sugar (Splenda), and cider vinegar -directions are on the packet. Yummy on it's own or as a sandwich!

I do pulled pork as well, however instead of coooking it in the BBQ sauce I put a sliced onion in the bottom of the pot, lay the pork roast on top of that, 2 cups of water and 1 can/bottle of beer - cook that for 6 hours on low, then drain, pull the pork, return to the CP and add the BBQ sauce for another hour. Fantastic!!! so tender!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    We do pulled chicken. There's a hungry girl recipe or my simplified version....

1 bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breast - frozen (about 2.5 pounds I think)
    1 jar of sweet baby ray hickory BBQ

Cook mid heat all day - shred - enjoy!

Whole family loves it and makes great leftovers.
  • rensmom
    Options
    Your idea of the taco meat should turn out well--I did this for the first time this past weekend and was amazed at how well it turned out without having to brown the meat in a skillet. You can add onions and a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of green chiles if you like. It makes it delicious, and adds some veggies into your main dish for almost no calories.

My perennial favorite: 2-3 lb. pork loin
    16 oz jar of Salsa Verde (green salsa)
    then fill the jar with chicken broth or water and add to pot
    1 chopped onion
    It will shred easily when cooked 4 hrs on high or 8 hrs on low.

Make into tacos, or serve over brown rice and top with lettuce, tomato, cheese & lite sour cream. This feeds a crowd and is one of my favorite things to serve a group of people. Enjoy!