Options

Replies

• happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I've got this currently stewing in the crock pot for dinner tonight (and lunches to freeze):

1pk (or 5 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken thighs (could also use breasts)
    the juice and zest of two limes (toss the rinds in too)
    1 large onion cubed
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 - 2 tsp of whole peppercorns
    1 1/2 cup water
    dash of salt
    1 tsp chili paste (I like Sambal Oelek), optional

Mix everything but the chicken and chili in the crock pot. Place chicken on top fillet side down and nestle it into the onion/cilantro mix. Set to low and let go for 6-7hrs, flipping over once mid way through cooking and giving the juice a good stir. Once done, take out chicken and dispose of the lime rinds. Add the chili paste to the remaining stuff in the crockpot and let it simmer a few minutes more. Serve the chicken with a few scoops of the onion, cilantro, chili, lime juice mix on top (or slice up and serve on top of a spinach salad).
  • aam_84
    Options
    I made Chicken burritos..... they are so good! Place thawed chicken breast in the bottom of the crockpot and cover with salsa ( just enough so chicken is compeltely covered) then simmer on low for the day. When you get home, take chicken out and shread with a fork and place back in juice for another 30 minutes or until ready to eat. Serve on tortillas like a burrito!
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I made this yesterday and it was outstanding! I wish I could take credit for the recipe but I can't, I found it on the Internet. I did add some dried cherries and dried apples to the top of the brisket also which my husband enjoyed. When I arrived home the smell was so mouthwatering I couldn't believe I had made this. I don't usually brown meat in advance but this time I followed the instructions and was very happy. It also makes a nice amount of sauce to pour over meat. I'm getting hungry just thinking about this.

I am told the flavors improve overnight, so I can test that soon from the leftovers.

This is a sweet and sour version, but not terribly sweet and the sour is tangy.

1 small onion sliced
    1 clove garlic, finely diced (I added 3)
    2 1/2 – 3 pounds fresh brisket (I trimmed off all the fat, this made a big difference in not having a fatty sauce)
    brisket seasoning or coarse salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
    3/8 cup light brown sugar
    3/8 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce
    1/2 cup water

Brown the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil in a large skillet. Season the brisket on both sides, add to the pan and brown on both sides. Transfer all to slow cooker, leaving as much oil in the pan as possible. Add brown sugar, vinegar, chili sauce and water, distributing evenly over the brisket. Do not stir. Cook on High for 45 minutes then on Low for 5-6 hours, until fork tender. Defat sauce, if needed, and serve with brisket.
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread, but since this is in my crockpot right now, I thought I would add it

Spicy Pepper Steak - 6 servings

1 1/2 pounds beef round (cut into thin strips)
    1 Green pepper cut into strips
    1 Red Pepper cut into strips
    1 Large onion cut into strips
    1 can of tomato sauce (6-8 ounces)
    2 Tbsp brown gravy mix
    4 shakes of worcheshire sauce
    1 can of tomato paste (small one)
    4-6 shakes of hot sauce
    1 tbsp brown sugar

Place tomato sauce, brown gravy mix, brown sugar, and worcheshire sauce into crockpot, stir a lttle. Top with meat stips and then veggies on top. Cook on high 4-5 hours low 6-8 hours. If sauce is too thin 1/2 hour before serving, mix in tomato paste. Serve over brown rice.

Nutrition facts for Pepper Steak only (rice is additional)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 207.3

Total Fat 4.7 g

Saturated Fat 1.6 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.8 g

Cholesterol 64.6 mg

Sodium 553.6 mg

Potassium 894.6 mg

Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g

Dietary Fiber 2.6 g

Sugars 5.8 g

Protein 28.1 g
  • jeanniegirl8
    Options
    Bump
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    keep
  • cherries1971
    cherries1971 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Especially now with Summer Veggies in great supply - we chop of zucchini, squash, eggplant, carrots, potatoes, corn, onion, mushrooms garlic and peppers, add a can of the jalepeno or basil diced tomatoes, then chunks of chicken.

Easy chili - two packages of ground turkey(sub chicken or beef if you like), can of corn, can of diced tomatoes, Beans, container of mushrooms, two bell peppers, a hot pepper of your choice, some cayanne spice, can of low salt chicken and rice soup. This can be good to go in 20 minutes or less, or low and slow all day.

What beans would you use? Does 'corn' mean sweetcorn?? sounds lovely :D
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • rscott813
    rscott813 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sly1012
    Options
    I LOVE this website, I have made a ton of stuff, I especially like the Gyros-

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html
  • sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bump. . .

This will be sooo helpful come tax season and the long hours!!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    my FAVORITE is salsa chicken.

2 pounds of chicken breasts
    1 large jar of salsa
    1 can of whole corn kernels, drained
    1 can of black beans, drained

put the chicken and salsa in the crockpot, cook on low for about six to seven hours.

a half hour before, add the corn and black beans.

it's sooo good! i make this at least once a week. sometimes i serve it in either
    a whole wheat soft tortilla or i'll use the flatout wraps.

Ohh I'm going to try this tomorrow!
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    What's bump?? (I'm the new kid in class) lol
  • swerdygnome
    swerdygnome Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    What's bump?? (I'm the new kid in class) lol

"Bump" is when you just remark the forum so that it comes to the top of your lists. Some of us post in a lot of groups and it keeps the ones we like, but don't post in a lot near the top of the list of My Topics.

JAM
  • dnhenderson
    Options
    Bump
  • JAF55
    JAF55 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just an idea, but maybe you didn't have enough chicken in there. I never have a problem but I usually have at least 4 - 6 pieces. I like leftovers. Good Luck.

I am not doing a very good job of posting in the right spot. This goes out to the lady that burnt her chicken, after it cooked all day..
  • JAF55
    JAF55 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cancel this post, please? I will stop while I am behind. I can't figure out how to delete a post.