does anyone have a hard time making friends?

Options

Replies

• craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the original post.

Social media is definitely killing face to face friendship and activities. Some people seem more interested in growing crap on FarmVille and other similar games then actually living in the real world.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Friends? That word sounds familiar... but I can't quite remember what it means....

I fall into that category where... people respect me, they just don't like me. =P
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I can relate to every response to this post....sad, isn't it?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Boy would it feel good though to have someone local to hang with, drop in on for tea or just vent to!!!

I wish I had normal friends that would drop by and just chat for a little while. Maybe as you get older, that kind of thing stops. I don't know. Maybe people have changed due to social media and tv...they don't have a need so much like they used to, to get out and chat with their friends and neighbors because they always have entertainment.

It feels to me like there are a lot of lonely people, and it should be easy to make friends.
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've joined a local Country Club and started playing tennis. It's surprising how many nice folk like to hit some balls and then get something to eat or have a soda/drink afterward. I'm developing some really nice friends this way. Just a suggestion.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Friends? That word sounds familiar... but I can't quite remember what it means....

I fall into that category where... people respect me, they just don't like me. =P

exactly!! :ohwell:
  • RicksHouse
    Options
    Lots of acquaintances, few friends. It hurts too much when you loose them.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

Boy would it feel good though to have someone local to hang with, drop in on for tea or just vent to!!!

I wish I had normal friends that would drop by and just chat for a little while. Maybe as you get older, that kind of thing stops. I don't know. Maybe people have changed due to social media and tv...they don't have a need so much like they used to, to get out and chat with their friends and neighbors because they always have entertainment.

It feels to me like there are a lot of lonely people, and it should be easy to make friends.

Me too *sigh* Unfortunately I couldn't find anybody here who has a friend potential :sad:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Honestly I've moved so much in my lifetime that I got used to the idea that people just come and go. Sometimes it doesn't have to be just physically moving......at times it seems that people and situations change, and for some reason, the friendships end. I don't know...I used to be bothered by it, but nowadays I accept the fact that people are in and out of your life for a reason. I lost my best friend when I got married, not because I was just settling down, but he had an issue with the new friends I became a part of along with my wife. I think he felt like he wasn't worth being a part of the group. Either way I look at it like people come and go. I've tried adding people that I work with but most of the time it becomes awkward. Being a musician helps though as you will gain friends out of nowhere. I can honestly say though, that I've never been considered to be anyone's best man, so while I have a decent amount of friends in my life, I'll never be that pivotal to anyone....and that took me a long time to accept \m/
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am a very personable person but kind of shy. Making friends can be kind of difficult sometimes.

Currently I have a few girls that I consider close friends - probably about 2-3 girls...

I used to wish I had more friends, but then I think back to the days in highschool where I was popular and start to remember all the issues that actually went with having more 'friends' (gossip, back stabbing, etc) and I am more than satisified with the small group I have now!!

Quality over quantity any day!
  • gloryofthis
    gloryofthis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i do! i'm kinda awkward though i guess.

i had great mates for a while, then i had a baby and suddenly every single one of them disappeared.well except my best mate, but i suppose thats why shes the best one =] xx
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've joined a local Country Club and started playing tennis. It's surprising how many nice folk like to hit some balls and then get something to eat or have a soda/drink afterward. I'm developing some really nice friends this way. Just a suggestion.

Excellent. I love to play tennis. There is a club near by. I'll go talk to them next week and see how it works. A tennis group would be a great way to meet people. Duh! Why didn't I think of that?
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i think i am having a hard time with my age then.....i am only 26, but once i moved (only a 30 minute drive) no one wanted to come out. they will, but very seldomly. soon enough the phone calls stopped. today when i looked at my phone to see no missed calls, i thought..."i could be dead and they would never know!"...maybe it is time for me to grow up

i am too social though. i will have to find new friends.

Wow!! You sound exactly like me.I'm 26 also and I also moved just like you 30 minutes away. You would think I moved to another state. And seeing how I'm a stay at home mom I don't exactly get out enough to make new freinds.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am a lonely person. On-line it's easy but in person it's a different story." We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone."
    Orson Welles
    "The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved."

Ok, I do have friends but still feel alone. Even my husband who is my closest friend, I have some major desagreements in thinking with.
    I have a book: Friendship by Joel D. Block,Ph.D. and it's marked up in my favorite parts. " Don't expect more from others than your able to give your self. We all have our limitations and needs. We all need our boundaries. We are our own best friend. No one knows us like we know our selves. Friends can be a sourse of great support in times of stress and need, but in the end we all have to walk that lonesome valley alone.
    Hugs, Nina

I'm a shy person and always will be. I enjoy my aloneness.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah. When I was in my 20's, I saw different people on a weekly basis. But now in my 30's, I have found that people change, move or get busy with their own professional/personal lives. It's hard. So it's not that it's hard making friends; it's just hard maintaining friendships. Some friends we only see each other once or twice a year, and we have no problem starting right where we left off. But along the way, you lose a few. I think some people are in our life for a certain reason for a certain amount of time. And others are for life. We don't get to keep everyone forever.

My partner is my best friend. And my dog.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't be posting... I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like people in person very much. I always feel as if they are acting pleasant or inventing things to say, or trying to impress me.

That my phone doesn't ring doesn't bother me. I wonder why sometimes, but I just feel like it is because they don't need anything from me right now and when they do, they will call. I will go. I will help. Then the phone doesn't ring.

I guess I'm used to it... :)
  • lucy5599
    lucy5599 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am that way too! I am so content to just be at home. I love people and have had many great friends over the years but lately, I never seem to stay in contact with anyone! I think of my friends and family often but never pick up the phone to call or go visit! Why is that?
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a lonely person. On-line it's easy but in person it's a different story." We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone."
    Orson Welles
    "The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved."

Ok, I do have friends but still feel alone. Even my husband who is my closest friend, I have some major desagreements in thinking with.
    I have a book: Friendship by Joel D. Block,Ph.D. and it's marked up in my favorite parts. " Don't expect more from others than your able to give your self. We all have our limitations and needs. We all need our boundaries. We are our own best friend. No one knows us like we know our selves. Friends can be a sourse of great support in times of stress and need, but in the end we all have to walk that lonesome valley alone.
    Hugs, Nina

I'm a shy person and always will be. I enjoy my aloneness.

Ahhh adorable quotes!!!! :):):):)
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I was married our friends drifted away due to raising kids, new jobs, moving, etc...it's a normal thing. But, when I was divorced, suddenly I felt so alone. My best friend lived over an hour away and I would call her now and then, but she had a family and life of her own.

It was 4 years ago that I was divorced and making friends has been very hard. I joined a "Baby Boomer Group" but many of those folks are older than me and are married as well. About a year ago I ran into an old work buddy and knowing that I love music he invited me to start going to an Open Mic at the local American Legion. I have made lots of acquaintances and I even get up and sing at them, but no good friends to go and just hang out with.

35mib91.jpg

Last year my friend (who I talked about previously) died of a massive heart attack. She was 50 years old. I miss her very much.

It's hard cause sometimes the loneliness gets very difficult. It also plays havoc on my weight loss.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    More Annie Lennox Lyrics HERE

Artist: Annie Lennox
    Album: Bare
    Song: Loneliness

Lyrics:

Loneliness
    Is a place that I know well
    It's the distance between us
    And the space inside ourselves