900 calories and gaining weight

Options

Replies

• juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    This post makes me sad.
    Especially since seeing people eat around 2k a day and losing weight.
    what dan said.

please eat more. this group has lots of great information. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • KHoiriis
    KHoiriis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Who decided 900 for you? Also vegetables are where it is at! Vitamins, nutrients, low calories for a boat load of food. Packaged foods have way too many "unknowns" in them. Cant pronounce whats in the ingredients that chances are good your body doesnt know what to do with that. Speak with a doctor or nutritionist about whats right for you, for the next 6 months. Then do follow ups, because your body will be changing and so will your needs. The more weight you lose, the more active you become, the more calories you are going to need. Hope you can find a good healthy balance!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You have to eat AT LEAST 1200 a day, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and it will store whatever it gets.
    Eat good healthy food every couple of hours to keep your digestive system active and make sure you don't starve yourself.
    Let's use another term rather than "starvation mode".
    Call it "stifled metabolism".

Anyway, she needs to eat more. We all agree.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    900 calories and gaining weight? Clearly you're eating too much! Try 90 calories! If that still results in a gain, try 9 calories! WE CAN DO THIS!

(Or eat an appropriate amount of food for your body like everyone else is saying to do. Your choice.)
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Never go below 1200 in the "net calories" category.... your body will NOT allow weight to go if you do.... I speak from the last 2 years!! Eat more girl!

I agree to disagree.... it depends how short she is and how her body is and her current weight. I love how everyone uses you must have 1200 calories for a 6 foot tall man and a 5 foot tall girl. That is a guideline for all but not everyone and not everyone’s body reacts the same. I am usually around 900-1100 calories minus the last day or so and have a off day on Sunday which keeps your body out of starvation mode. :) In addition, outside of having 2 babies which I only gained 20 pounds or so on my last, I have TONS of muscle and keep my weight in the 110-115 range constantly. At my highest right after birth I was at 22% body fat and I am down to 17.7% now. My youngest is 8 months and look at the muscle, tone, and I am bouncing off the wall with energy. Far from starvation mode.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You have to eat AT LEAST 1200 a day, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and it will store whatever it gets.
    Eat good healthy food every couple of hours to keep your digestive system active and make sure you don't starve yourself.

No disrespect to them....But have you ever seen a picture of people in concertration camps. Tell them "starvation mode" will make you fat.

Wow really? SMH. Starvation is not a weightloss method anyone should use. I'm certain most doctor would not suggest a calorie intake of 900 unless a person is extremely obese and it's a medically necessary. 900 calories can restrict your ability to exercise at your best ability.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Let's use another term rather than "starvation mode".
    Call it "stifled metabolism".

Anyway, she needs to eat more. We all agree.

"Stifled metabolism" I absolutely love it!!! May I use that? ;)
  • alexis831
    Options

Please stop making things up, you're not helping anyone

^^This

HAH! What they said! If I was in starvation mode I wouldn't have my abs! HAH!
  • steinmak1
    steinmak1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Please try going gluten free.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

No disrespect to them....But have you ever seen a picture of people in concertration camps. Tell them "starvation mode" will make you fat.

I hope the Auschwicz look never comes in vogue. Surely this isn't the goal. Folks being tortured and starved are thin, but not healthy. Aren't we aiming for health here?
  • annafonte
    annafonte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    eat more! simple as!
  • FitMomHeatherDawn
    Options
    You have most likely put your body into starvation mode, which simply means your metabolism slows down to a crawl as your body is trying to hold on to every bit of energy you give it. This is why people who eat too little can see adverse lb reactions. Not to mention it is unhealthy and hard to get the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs daily to perform optimally. I know from personal experience... I have went through phases of eating as little as 600 calories a day (depression or whatever) and it definitely will take a toll on your overall health. Aim for at least 1200 calories a day that seems to be the general consensus of the lowest amount of calories an adult can consume without starvation mode kicking in.
  • alexis831
    Options

I hope the Auschwicz look never comes in vogue. Surely this isn't the goal. Folks being tortured and starved are thin, but not healthy. Aren't we aiming for health here?

Do I look "tourtured and starved" HAH!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    900 calories and gaining weight? Clearly you're eating too much! Try 90 calories! If that still results in a gain, try 9 calories! WE CAN DO THIS!

(Or eat an appropriate amount of food for your body like everyone else is saying to do. Your choice.)

i like you.
  • ChristaFall
    ChristaFall Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Absolutely not true. I eat between 6 and 800 calories a day and I'm just fine and I've done this for going on 4 months now. I have tons of energy and work out almost everyday. And I'm really tired of this "starvation mode" word being flung around as a way to scare people into eating more. Yes she may need to eat more calories, it could be what her body needs but she will NOT go into starvation mode. Doctors put people on 500 calorie a day diets for months on end and they don't go into this made up word to scare people into eating more, give it up already. "starvation mode" is really just a plateau. She has something else going on.

Agree! I eat no more that 800 calories per day, I'm NOT in starvation mode..I feel great, work out EVERY day, have a lot of muscle AND guess what?! I'm LOSING weight and have TONS of energy! I'm so sick of this "starvation mode" bull *kitten*!
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Yes drink more water! You could be gaining muscle though. I went from 107.2 to 110 over the last couple of days. Man does it suck looking at the number go up! YES! However I also went from 18.9% body fat down to 17.7% over the last week and lost an inch. So what does that mean??? Muscle!!! I have been eating around 900-1100 calories too... minus yesterday so eating more might not be the answer. Drink plenty of water, it actually helps you loose water weight! You are taking in ALOT of protein, you might have gained some major muscle with that. Throw the scale out.... easier said then done I know I have the same issues, and go to how you look in the mirror, inches loss or body fat %. Its more accurate. I bought a body fat tester on e-bay 6 years ago for like 25.00 with shipping the electronic kind.... SOOO worth it. Every time the scale goes up my body fat goes down so I don’t feel so bad! :) Hang in their too and power through it.... Whenever I go up eventually I go down if I don't get too depressed because of a stupid scale and remember to look in the mirror!! Remember girls cycles…. We go up and down throughout the month too depending about where we are at. :) You are doing AMAZING! Keep it up girl!

You did not gain almost three pounds of muscle in a week eating at a deficit. It's physically impossible. It's likely water retention while your existing muscles heal.

What she said.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    I'm close to your age (well older actually) and lost most of my weight on 1350 calories while eating back every single exercise calorie, lol.

Like they said, eat more. Don't consider this a diet, change your lifestyle and make it sustainable for the rest of your life.

Good Luck!:smile:
  • razz02
    razz02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode ; D

cracks me up everytime... so funny
  • alexis831
    Options

HAH! That was funny! :)
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Grab a cheeseburger!!!! 900 cals is WAY too low!! Your body is going to go into starvation mode and will hold on to the fat....EAT AT LEAST 1200 Cals a day!!!!