Coke Zero vs Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I just want to throw in a little twist here.

I am a big fan of Coke. But not Diet Coke or Coke Zero.

I love Caffeine Free Diet Coke. It tastes similar to Diet Coke.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Pepsi NEXT is the bomb! Tastes JUST LIKE the real thing! REALLY!
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    Options
    There isn't really a difference. Coke zero was only launched because men don't want to buy Diet products. Zero was mostly created for men between 20 and 29, that kind of men who don't want to take the full calorie Coke but would rather drink water or something else than to admit that. The TV ads appeal to this specific group too.
    Personally, I drink Coke zero, although I'm not a man in my twenties.
  • blu_diva
    blu_diva Posts: 25
    Options
    i know it's not good for me but i have a coke zero addiction. a chocolate addiction too. i decided this summer to limit both of these but not eliminate them, and in the case of the chocolate make sure i'm buying high quality stuff. for me, i know i won't reach my goals if i create limitations that aren't manageable in the long run so that's just me. when people tell me i'm drinking liquid cancer i just say, yes and it tastes delicious!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch either. I like regular coke, but I don't think it's good for me. I like seltzer water a lot. Lots of different flavors these days. Even better than seltzer, I like sparkling mineral water. The coke bubblyness without the badness. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the main difference is between these 2 products?
    In the UK :-

There is 96mg of caffeine in one litre of Coke Zero or Coca‑Cola and 128mg in a litre of Diet Coke.

Diet Coke has more aspartame with 125 mg vs 58 mg in Coke Zero per 240 ml

Coke zero ingredients :
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), acidity regulator (E331). Contains a source of phenylalanine.

Diet coke :
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.

Coke zero has phosphoric acid higher up the list therefore greater in quantity than sweeteners, which fits with diet coke having more sweeteners. E331 is a sodium salt of citric acid.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    With Pizza??
    cappacino or hot chocolate
    want soda? chinotto
    or Chianti if you want booze

your pizza is already making this a risk day.
    Workout like mad for this meal and have a proper italian drink

Since she said she has a soda a couple times a month, one might think perhaps she has pizza a couple times a month. Big deal. Oh, and some of us don't like to use food OR exercise as a punishment.

And by the way, nothing could induce me to drink cappuccino or hot chocolate with pizza. Gross.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    coke zero has two artifical sweeteners, diet coke has one.

i like the taste of coke zero better, but it makes me feel unwell whereas diet coke doesnt, so i wonder if thats the extra sweetening chemical
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The extra sweetener in Coke Zero is a potassium salt, so if it throws off your sodium/potassium balance it could make you feel a bit off. It could also be the sodium or potassium citrate, as opposed to citric acid in Diet Coke.

Interesting the slight differences in formulas between the US and UK versions. The US version of Coke Zero uses potassium citrate, instead of sodium citrate. Also, Diet Coke in the US is exclusively sweetened with aspartame, no ace-k.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The way I understood it, it was just a slightly different formula, but essentially the same product. However, marketing-wise, Diet Coke had been seen as a more "feminine" product, and men who were calorie conscious did not want to be seen drinking it, so Coca-Cola invented Coke Zero to be a more "masculine" version of the same kind of product.

http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/
  • barefootkandi
    Options
    they are identical products.

it's marketing that has created coke zero...diet coke has a more feminine brand perception, whereas coke zero is aimed at men in general.

No, that is false. Diet coke has a distinct taste that certain people like and is very popular with a certain demographic. Coke Zero was invented to be a closer substitute for Coke Classic. If Diet Coke were to be removed from the market, Coke would suffer tremendously because of the popularity of the distinct taste of Diet Coke that many people prefer over other drinks.

You are correct about the marketing perception though. Diet Coke is most popular with women, thus has been marketed towards them. Coke Zero, however, is marketed towards a broader scope of people that want the taste of Coke but not the calories.

That is the purposing difference of the two. The difference in ingredients are that both have Aspartame but Coke Zero contains acesulfame potassium to give the sweetness. Coke Zero contains less Aspartame thank Diet Coke but not by much.

I was Coca-Cola Marketing Intern in 2009, and had completed many case studies on and within the company.

^^
    this is true. I work for Coke in the production side of the business and they are definitely different formulas with different blending requirements. Coke Zero was designed specifically to mimic the taste of Coke Classic as closely as possible with zero calories. The ingredients are similar but not the same, and the flavor is different.
  • Bastiencade
    Options
    I don't believe the poster asked anyone for anything other than their opinion... Diet Coke or Coke Zero. It annoys me how half of these posts are people attacking her choices. She didn't ask if you think it's ok to drink diet soda, she asked which you prefer. So if you don't drink diet soda, why respond at all? Sorry, it just seems like it's all I ever see on these forums anymore is people's bashing other people's food choices when they aren't even asked. Hmmm so I guess I just had a big rant huh? Sorry. My choice is Coke Zero. :)

Exactly. She didn't want our opinions on the dangers of soda, she asked which tastes closer to the real thing. People are acting so judgmental over a SODA it's pretty funny. It is not a proven fact that diet soda's cause cancer in low dosages, like drinking a diet soda every now and again. If you were drinking gallons of it a day, then we could talk about you getting cancer. Otherwise, it's just not very healthy.

I suggest just drinking a real coke if you don't plan on drinking soda often, I personally gave it up a few years ago but I will drink the odd Sprite if I'm at some sort of outdoor festivity. Otherwise I agree with most people, Coke Zero is closest to the real thing!

I can't believe I used to love coke - I can't even drink one now.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    NO just no. Have water!
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Well they both are crap....meaning you shouldn't drink either. Anything with artificial sweetners will just enhance food cravings, plus they can cause cancer......is it really worth it to drink diet sodas. But to give you the answer you initially asked for....it would be coke zero. I miss the stuff like crazy, but I love myself more....so I don't drink it anymore.

I believe a better statement is that they can cause cancer if not consumed in moderation. Having one can 3 or 4 times a week WILL NOT give you cancer. If that was there would be a WHOLE lot more people with cancer. Don't ya think?

I do however agree with the artificial sweeteners increasing cravings. Splenda increases my cravings and I can definitely tell a difference.
  • NanaDino4
    NanaDino4 Posts: 63
    Options
    Coke Zero...I don't drink them like I use to,,I try to drink 10 glasses of water a day but one every now and then won't hurt you. I don't agree with them saying you drink diet drinks you will eat more. I never did and they never made me crave sugar,,,I actually wasn't eating enough food to lose weight while I was drinking mostly diet drinks verses my water drinking. So yea once in a while won't hurt and I agree water and pizza don't mix too well...LOL
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    they are identical products.

it's marketing that has created coke zero...diet coke has a more feminine brand perception, whereas coke zero is aimed at men in general.

I disagree. I find Diet Coke has more of that disgusting Aspartame after-taste that makes you feel like your teeth are wearing little sweaters afterward & you desperately need to brush your teeth.

Coke Zero I find doesn't have that. I can't speak as to the tastes being completely the same, or anything like that... but the aftertaste is like night & day. Coke Zero's aftertaste doesn't gross me out, & it doesn't last a ridiculously long time.

Also, the main differentiating factor between the two (aside from aftertaste nasties) is that Coke Zero has WAY less caffeine than Diet Coke. I have caffeine sensitivity, & I can drink Coke Zero without my heart racing, but Diet Coke gives me chest pain.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Coke zero tastes, to me, like watered down diet coke.

Maybe I have to try it again, though.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the main difference is between these 2 products?

I lovvvveeeee Coke. The real stuff though. Although I dont have to touch it and will be just fine.
    In fact I only drink it once or twice a month maybe.

I was thinking if I was going to drink it once in a while, I might try Coke Zero. I dont like Diet Coke or any diet pop at all.

What is the taste difference like?

I might just skip it all together and stick to water ... but water and pizza just doesnt do it for me lol

Don't drink any BLACK LIQUID...
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I like Coke and I love Coke Zero. I hate Diet Coke.

The difference?

I asked this question of a Coke executive.

Do you remember when they came out with the new version of Coke? The new recipe in the 80's? And everyone hated it so much so they switched back to the old (classic) recipe? This is why Coke is called Coca-cola Classic on the can. Its the classic recipe.
    Anyway. Diet Coke is the NEW Coke recipe made diet. The recipe from the 80's.

Coke Zero is Coke Classic made diet. Which is why it is so much more tasty than Diet Coke. And is why Diet Coke tastes nothing like regular Coke Classic.

If someone already mentioned this... oops :)

Don't worry. You're more likely to die being hit by lightning than by drinking diet sodas :)
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm probably just strange, but I find that Diet Coke tastes more "salty" than Coke Zero... Definitely prefer the taste of Zero, and can tell the difference.

And my taste for diet sodas in general come and go. I didn't drink much soda to begin with, so didn't really need to transition to diets when I started counting calories, I just didn't drink any. This past week I drank a 2L in like 2 days. First time in 4 months, wanted it, drank it :p No big deal I think.