Others eat like crap and lose weight, WTF?!

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    There are so many of us here who are fighting the good fight with clean eating, cutting out processed junk food and literally working our butts off. Don't give up...we are living proof that it works!! Good luck to you!

Nice try, nice post, but are you really blaming processed food? Seriously? Calories don't matter?

nope. the calories in a snickers are evil. plus, they are stronger than normal, clean calories from celery. so they are harder to evict once ingested.
    :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Here's one, I have plenty that are more current but it gets much worse. Didn't want to freak you all out with the processing procedures. http://www.avocadosource.com/cas_yearbooks/cas_54_1970/cas_1970_pg_079-084.pdf
    Conventional wisdom isn’t always wise.

In a time when seemingly every kind of food or drink has something bad associated with it, you’d think at least water would escape unscathed. But one doctor reported in the British Medical Journal this July that advice to drink 8 glasses of water per day is “nonsense.” And drinking too much water could actually be harmful.

The lesson here isn’t that water is bad or that we shouldn’t drink it. Rather, it’s that the so-called experts on what we eat and drink can change their minds (and often do).

In the 1970s, eggs were considered unhealthy due to their cholesterol content. Since then, scientists figured out that dietary cholesterol isn’t the same thing as blood cholesterol, and the tables turned again: Eggs are now considered a health food.

Similarly, in the 1980s fat became the enemy and “low-fat” products spread like wildfire. Now that trend is starting to change as carbs are developing a stigma.

Despite how much money and expertise is poured into nutrition research, we should still be skeptical about jumping to conclusions about our food and health. Our understanding is always shifting, and it’s often muddled by activists with a dog in the fight.

Consider the case of high fructose corn syrup. People started to shun this corn sugar in favor of sugar from cane or beets after one hypothesis several years ago speculated that high fructose corn syrup might be especially fattening.

But once again, a nutritional about-face has occurred. Credible experts from the American Medical Association to the American Dietetic Association recognize table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are metabolized similarly by the body. And two authors of the original hypothesis later declared that sugar is sugar, whether it is made from beets, cane or corn.

These days, the newest party line is that we should reduce our intake of sodium. Sodium raises blood pressure, which in turn raises the risk of heart problems, or so the logic goes. Some “food police” activists want national salt control.

In reality, it appears that only 10 percent of the population is truly sensitive to sodium. Recently published research discovered that salt reduction in people diagnosed with heart disease is actually associated with a more than twofold higher risk of dying. Additionally, a 50 percent salt reduction was not associated with improved heart health in the general population.

And the conventional wisdom about fish consumption may soon change as well. According to a 2004 government advisory, pregnant women should eat at most two servings of fish a week due to the trace amount of mercury in seafood. Environmental and animal rights groups — concerned with preserving wild fish stocks — have latched onto this as a way to scare Americans away from eating fish.

But more than 100 experts signed an open letter last year asking the federal government to update its recommendations in light of newer research finding that the health benefits of eating fish far outweigh the hypothetical detriments. (There still hasn’t been a single case of mercury poisoning in the United States from commercially bought seafood.)

A 2007 Lancet study found “no evidence” for concern, and further discovered that of the 9,000 pregnant women studied, those who ate the most fish had kids with the highest IQs. (Japanese children eat plenty of tuna and seem to have little trouble with math.)

What else could lie on the food horizon? It’s hard to say. It may well turn out that saturated fat isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be.

Whatever the case, we should bet on “moderation” remaining the cornerstone of any diet. Anybody who tells you a food or ingredient is going to harm you generally has an agenda, and not your health, to promote.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Them losing weight only means they are taking in less than they are burning. It doesn't mean that they are healthier than you. I used to weigh less but I starved myself or ate crap like 100 calorie packs of garbage....guess what, I had sky high cholesterol and as soon as I started eating again, I gained it all back plus some. Eating whole clean food in a sensible manner may not take the weight off as quickly as someone eating 1200 calories of junk but it is better in the long run....trust me!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread. But I glanced at your diary. Eat more.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Here's one, I have plenty that are more current but it gets much worse. Didn't want to freak you all out with the processing procedures. http://www.avocadosource.com/cas_yearbooks/cas_54_1970/cas_1970_pg_079-084.pdf

In a time when seemingly every kind of food or drink has something bad associated with it, you’d think at least water would escape unscathed. But one doctor reported in the British Medical Journal this July that advice to drink 8 glasses of water per day is “nonsense.” And drinking too much water could actually be harmful.

The lesson here isn’t that water is bad or that we shouldn’t drink it. Rather, it’s that the so-called experts on what we eat and drink can change their minds (and often do).

In the 1970s, eggs were considered unhealthy due to their cholesterol content. Since then, scientists figured out that dietary cholesterol isn’t the same thing as blood cholesterol, and the tables turned again: Eggs are now considered a health food.

Similarly, in the 1980s fat became the enemy and “low-fat” products spread like wildfire. Now that trend is starting to change as carbs are developing a stigma.

Despite how much money and expertise is poured into nutrition research, we should still be skeptical about jumping to conclusions about our food and health. Our understanding is always shifting, and it’s often muddled by activists with a dog in the fight.

Consider the case of high fructose corn syrup. People started to shun this corn sugar in favor of sugar from cane or beets after one hypothesis several years ago speculated that high fructose corn syrup might be especially fattening.

But once again, a nutritional about-face has occurred. Credible experts from the American Medical Association to the American Dietetic Association recognize table sugar and high fructose corn syrup are metabolized similarly by the body. And two authors of the original hypothesis later declared that sugar is sugar, whether it is made from beets, cane or corn.

These days, the newest party line is that we should reduce our intake of sodium. Sodium raises blood pressure, which in turn raises the risk of heart problems, or so the logic goes. Some “food police” activists want national salt control.

In reality, it appears that only 10 percent of the population is truly sensitive to sodium. Recently published research discovered that salt reduction in people diagnosed with heart disease is actually associated with a more than twofold higher risk of dying. Additionally, a 50 percent salt reduction was not associated with improved heart health in the general population.

And the conventional wisdom about fish consumption may soon change as well. According to a 2004 government advisory, pregnant women should eat at most two servings of fish a week due to the trace amount of mercury in seafood. Environmental and animal rights groups — concerned with preserving wild fish stocks — have latched onto this as a way to scare Americans away from eating fish.

But more than 100 experts signed an open letter last year asking the federal government to update its recommendations in light of newer research finding that the health benefits of eating fish far outweigh the hypothetical detriments. (There still hasn’t been a single case of mercury poisoning in the United States from commercially bought seafood.)

A 2007 Lancet study found “no evidence” for concern, and further discovered that of the 9,000 pregnant women studied, those who ate the most fish had kids with the highest IQs. (Japanese children eat plenty of tuna and seem to have little trouble with math.)

What else could lie on the food horizon? It’s hard to say. It may well turn out that saturated fat isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be.

Whatever the case, we should bet on “moderation” remaining the cornerstone of any diet. Anybody who tells you a food or ingredient is going to harm you generally has an agenda, and not your health, to promote.

Love you too! ;)
  • MisbehavedMeg
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what others are eating, especially since you already know those foods aren't so healthy and I assume you want your body to be healthy along with losing the weight? I am only eating real foods. No processed foods at all and I don't miss them one bit. I can barely eat out now because all of the foods seem very salty to me and I can't stand it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Eat what fits your goals and macros. If the macros arent working, change them up.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about what everyone else is eating. You are fueling your body with healthy foods. They are doing damage to their bodies even if they are losing weight. I don't eat "clean" and we occasionally go out and we occasionally eat processed foods, but I eat a pretty healthy diet and workout very hard. My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit now that I am closer to goal, but I'm not letting it discourage me. You have lost a significant amount of weight in a few months. Be proud of what you've accomplished. Keep working hard and eating properly.

And yes I was far to lazy to read through the comments because... well there are a lot of comments. haha!
    Just so you know, according to the OP, you are eating crap and losing weight. She never said anything about her friends eating only crap, just that there were processed foods and restaurant foods in their diaries. So based on your description, your diary is what she's complaining about. So, are you doing damage to your body? You're saying they are damaging their bodies, so wouldn't you be damaging yours?
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Were you juicing exclusively? That would be part of the problem, extremely low cal, very little protein, it's a metabolic nightmare. Yes, you lose weight, but it's mostly water and lean mass, not much fat. Of course the weight loss stopped when you went back to eating normally, your body was traumatized from being starved of nutrition.

Agreed.

To OP, take your time right now, eat a little more, and allow your metabolism to recover a bit. You'll start losing again, but you may have to be patient. The last time I went on an extreme "cleansing" diet, I gained 10 lbs after I stopped. I will never do that again.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    According to your diary you don't eat not nearly enough! If that is accurate you may need to seek help form a Dr or a nutritionist
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about what everyone else is eating. You are fueling your body with healthy foods. They are doing damage to their bodies even if they are losing weight. I don't eat "clean" and we occasionally go out and we occasionally eat processed foods, but I eat a pretty healthy diet and workout very hard. My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit now that I am closer to goal, but I'm not letting it discourage me. You have lost a significant amount of weight in a few months. Be proud of what you've accomplished. Keep working hard and eating properly.

And yes I was far to lazy to read through the comments because... well there are a lot of comments. haha!
    Just so you know, according to the OP, you are eating crap and losing weight. She never said anything about her friends eating only crap, just that there were processed foods and restaurant foods in their diaries. So based on your description, your diary is what she's complaining about. So, are you doing damage to your body? You're saying they are damaging their bodies, so wouldn't you be damaging yours?

My mistake. I assumed she would only be "frustrated" with those eating chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc and very few fruits and veggies especially since after looking through her diary I see she does eat process foods just not as much as others. Like I said, I didn't read the thread in it's entirety. I am technically doing damage to my insides according to my father (who is a vegan and grows practically everything they eat and what he can not grow he gets from local farmers). I could make healthier choices, but I don't always do that. I occasionally eat out meaning maybe twice a month, and I eat processed foods meaning yes I eat peanut butter and I have protein shakes and things like that. I only drink water, milk, unsweetened tea, and coffee. I'm making healthier choices than I did at 304lbs, but yes putting the preservatives from some of the food I eat into my body isn't exactly ideal.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I agree I'm am gratefull I've lost and I don't want to eat like crap but I'm kind of jealous. I'm one of those people who can take one bite of something fattening and gain weight, no joke. I vary of my excercise routines each week so I don't bored or use to anything. I feel sort of lost on what my next step is.

This ^^^^^
    Marie, I feel your pain it is the same for me, if I eat sugar I gain weight. I keep cutting calories just to get off of 15 lbs plateau and still have not been able to lose a lb in weeks now. I cut my carbs below 100 and calories today are 1400, yesterday 1650 never go any higher. My health issues do not permit me to exercise. I try to look on the positive side at least I am not gaining.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    On the intermittent days you track, you eat about 700 calories a day. Why?
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I keep my diary private. I do eat junk food sometimes (especially lately dealing with sick kids and mental health issues). I keep a food diary for my own purpose, not for anyone else to criticize. Your journey is your's, and mine is mine. Don't worry about what other people are doing- focus on your own health or else you will frustrate yourself. You can't compare your progress to someone else's because everyone is different. The more you stress about it the more you're going to sabotage your weight loss. Yes, healthy food is better for you nutritionally, but people are coming from all different angles and backgrounds, and maybe they are working on overcoming a junk food addiction. You never know.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Idk I eat what I want within reason. I don't think that anyone should ever feel deprived on their weight loss journey. Every1s body is different and eating "clean" doesn't guarantee anything... keep strong & push harder you'll get there!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Also from the same source:

http://www.avocadosource.com/journals/ausnz/ausnz_2009/ebbagejoseph2009.pdf
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    body weight does not equal good health!

There are many folks who can eat a ton and "never gain weight" - however what is taking place on he inside is super destructive - high cholesterol, high BP. There is also a growing phenomenon in this country now known as "skinny-fat" - that is, a person's weight is perfect according to the scale, however their body fat % is off the charts unhealthy.

Eating tons of junk and being healthy is a myth - don't buy into it. Some may have the metabolism to burn the calories - yes, but they are not improving their health.

Eat healthy - focus on lifestyle changes and you will see the weight come off - I can attest to it!

EXACTLY!! Well said! =)

For my two cents now...

The people wo are eating the crappy food have one focus - losing weight/being skinny. They are obviously not concerned about their overall health and well being. You can be skinny and still have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol etc.

Remember, you really are what you eat. Once i began eating clean, my body changed from the inside out. My skin glows and looks amazing, my hair grows like crazy and is thick and shiny, my nails grow like crazy and are hard, etc. I feel awake and alive and full of energy!!!!

Keep on eating clean and working out. You will succeed and be healthy doing it!

I agree with these statements. Focus on your health and let the weight loss be an added benefit.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 30+ in 3 months, you have not had 1 plateau let alone 2... unless you lost 30 in the first month and haven't lost since then? 4-5 lbs per month is excellent, 10 lbs plus per month is kind of fast but great! I'd call 0-2 lbs lost in a month a plateau.

Either you aren't logging all of your food or you are under-eating. Are you recovered from your procedure? Best wishes! :smile:

ETA I eat 1600-1800 calories per day but I also have realistic expectations of losing 4-6 lbs per month. And, yes, I do eat some junk :wink: GL!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Well my expectations may be too high then but I'm new to this. I'm a recovering fat *kitten* who lied to herself about how bad I was actually eating. When I started juicing the weight would literally fall off every day, so coming off the juice and starting an excercise regimen has almost halted my weight loss.

Just a thought & this may have been mentioned... are the friends you are looking at (which i agree with the individual who said not to look at thier diaries, comparison can be discouraging...) are they larger than you??? It's true that the weight comes off easier (or faster in a manner of speaking) the heavier you are. if someone @ 250 lbs starts eating less calories, even if it's junk, they will start sheading weight... you seem to have lost a good amt, an amt to be proud of - your body may just be adjusting to it & you might think about adjusting your exc. routine. I read yesterday that you should constantly be adjusting, i.e., if you use the treadmill / eliptical, etc - your incline or speed needs to adjust wkly - or your body & muscles adapt... always challenge your body... :)

just my 2 cents.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Love you too! ;)

Hugs and kisses Food Company Trolls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9MH_tks_wE&feature=player_embedded#!
    Tell me, since you keep posting this video, have you actually READ the study that this story is referring to? The study cited used a fructose dose that’s 3 times the average American intake.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/