"you have such a pretty face"

Options

Replies

• Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    ^ You don't think people wear TOO MUCH makeup sometimes?
    I love me some makeup, but sometimes I think people really overdo it, and it just looks a little tacky.

I love it when people do the perfect smoky eye though! I met this girl at a party recently, and she had done this gorgeous bronzy-brown smoky eye thing. I may have drooled a little bit :)

OH yes, people can and do wear too much makeup sometimes. I just don't make mean comments about it you know? I agree, I love the bronzeysmokey eye look too :)
  • Romans624
    Options

Even if it's naive, I'll take compliments on my make up at face value every time =).

I love my face =).

Both are a good way to look at it! :)
  • Romans624
    Options
    I love me some makeup, but sometimes I think people really overdo it, and it just looks a little tacky.

I love it when people do the perfect smoky eye though! I met this girl at a party recently, and she had done this gorgeous bronzy-brown smoky eye thing. I may have drooled a little bit :)

I make myself look like I have a black eye!! LMAO. I need more practice

Its a tricky thing to do. And what you like, someone else might not like and think it is too much.

I like eyeliner a lot, but my family doesn't like it on me. lol... oh well.
  • Romans624
    Options
    didn't mean to hijack thread...

I think I said earlier I hate thinking about now or before as being a fatty and then when I lose, suddenly I"m acceptable. That is not a fun thing to think.
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    On the makeup thing.. I'm a makeup addict. Loooove it.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    OMG story of my life... followed by me awkwardly saying, um.. thanks? I actually had an older woman tell me once, "you have such a pretty face, just don't get any bigger, ok?" and another one (I guess older, wealthy women feel it's ok to say this) say "You have such a pretty face - it's a shame you're so obese. But if you lost weight, you'd be so pretty!" (she stood there smiling like I was going to thank her).
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options

I think I said earlier I hate thinking about now or before as being a fatty and then when I lose, suddenly I"m acceptable. That is not a fun thing to think.
    I hate that, too. Why am I not acceptable as I am? Why do people have to be so judgmental? I have a friend who was 60 lbs heavier than me, that liked to talk about "us fatties" and didn't seem to realize why it hurt my feelings. She weighs 10 lbs less than me now (gastric bypass a few years ago is working for her now!), and gets very upset if people call her fat now. She weighs more than I did when she called us fatties. I would think that she would've understood how it hurt, no matter who it came from, being overweight herself.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

It depends. Sometimes it can look quite funny. I wear extremely heavy makeup at times and yes I have been laughed at lol. I think it's just my personal style though and I know tons of people who wear just as much but not quite as well. I love all different types of makeup but, I will say it is definitely a personal opinion sort of subject lol. It bothers me when I see people who do it badly and aren't willing to learn what suits their face. Again, it's a very personal thing lol.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I hate that, too. Why am I not acceptable as I am? Why do people have to be so judgmental? I have a friend who was 60 lbs heavier than me, that liked to talk about "us fatties" and didn't seem to realize why it hurt my feelings. She weighs 10 lbs less than me now (gastric bypass a few years ago is working for her now!), and gets very upset if people call her fat now. She weighs more than I did when she called us fatties. I would think that she would've understood how it hurt, no matter who it came from, being overweight herself.

OMG I had a friend years ago that was a lot heavier than me at the time (I weighed about 50 pounds less back then...sigh) and she ALWAYS referred to us both as fatties, or Big Butt Sisters... It always made me feel like crap, especially because she had a good 50-60 pounds on me
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well, you know, just from your icon photo, it is a true statement nonetheless.

It's context...
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I actually don't mind being told I have a pretty face. On my list of things I like about myself, my face is probably one of the top, it's just kind of... in proportion I suppose and I have nice skin, so when people notice it and pay attention to it, I feel good. I know my body isn't great, so it's nice when other people notice things that I like about myself too.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options

I make myself look like I have a black eye!! LMAO. I need more practice

Its a tricky thing to do. And what you like, someone else might not like and think it is too much.

I like eyeliner a lot, but my family doesn't like it on me. lol... oh well.
    In my profile pic I have on a HIP blue eyeliner that I love :-)
  • redlady82
    redlady82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow! I can't believe the audacity of people sometimes! I have heard things like that as well. I used to actually be quite fit but I think a lot of times women can be threatened by a pretty face(especially if they don't have one themselves) and have to find a way to cut it down and remind everyone you don't have to work for a face. I think a good reaction would be "oh why thank you! When you first started talking I thought you had a nice personality but then you kept going....just don't get any more rude."

I had a friend tell me once that when someone falls in love with me it will for sure be with my personality. Sounded like an insult to me!
  • aleciaj7
    aleciaj7 Posts: 39
    Options
    <
    This guy like Big *kitten* and Pretty faces and Big round Boobies!

Nothing wrong with a woman with a little meat on her bones.

My grandfather used to say in Italian, Translated,

meat is for the man, bones are for the DOG!!!

OMG, I LOVE that "quote" ;) No matter how much weight I lose I DO NOT want to lose my curves and my ability to be thought of as womanly, that's one of my favorite things about women! Glad you posted this ;)
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That pretty face line is def. a back-handed compliment, but I think sometimes people who are insecure about their own appearance get a little oversensitive and read "I'm trying not to say you're fat" into genuine compliments.

For the record, when I tell someone they have pretty hair, makeup, or clothes, it's because they do. And if I noticed it, it's because it looks good on them. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. It's a compliment; take it, preferably with grace.

Personally, I never get the pretty-face lines, probably because my face is the first place to show extra weight. A double-chin at 117 pounds? Yeah, that happened... :grumble:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I get told this.

I also get told (only by women) that I have pretty makeup. Feels like a slap.

if it makes you feel better, i think you wear too much makeup. ;)
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    <

OMG, I LOVE that "quote" ;) No matter how much weight I lose I DO NOT want to lose my curves and my ability to be thought of as womanly, that's one of my favorite things about women! Glad you posted this ;)

I actually think that quote is equally offensive.

Why must we bring down others in order to make ourselves feel better?

Curvy women are great, yes. Nothing wrong with that at all. But this whole shaming of skinny women in order to make bigger women feel better is bull. I have a few friends who are naturally very skinny, and they gorgeous as well. If someone says "bones are gorgeous, fat is disgusting," they're being offensive and are called out for being fat-shaming d*ckbags. Which is fair enough. Why is the reverse any more acceptable? It certainly shouldn't be.

The whole "real women have curves" mantra makes me want to punch people, I'm not gonna lie. Real women are all women. Skinny, fat, cisgender, transgender, whatever. If you're a woman then you're a woman and no matter what size you are, you're gorgeous.
  • aleciaj7
    Options
    It's never bothered me really to hear you have such a pretty face, I know I do! It's the unsaid "but" that you know they're thinking that's annoying, but like I think someone else stated it's usually always said by people who do not know any better at all. However, because I myself know I am a pretty woman regardless of anyone else's "but" I've always just tried to take it for whatever kind of compliment that it is. I also agree with what someone else said that it's typically from a far less cute skinny girl too lol. I guess that's the best part of being a "you have such a pretty face" kind of girl, because we're the kind of girls that are super pretty on the inside too ;)
  • aleciaj7
    Options
    <

I actually think that quote is equally offensive.

Why must we bring down others in order to make ourselves feel better?

Curvy women are great, yes. Nothing wrong with that at all. But this whole shaming of skinny women in order to make bigger women feel better is bull. I have a few friends who are naturally very skinny, and they gorgeous as well. If someone says "bones are gorgeous, fat is disgusting," they're being offensive and are called out for being fat-shaming d*ckbags. Which is fair enough. Why is the reverse any more acceptable? It certainly shouldn't be.

The whole "real women have curves" mantra makes me want to punch people, I'm not gonna lie. Real women are all women. Skinny, fat, cisgender, transgender, whatever. If you're a woman then you're a woman and no matter what size you are, you're gorgeous.

You've taken what he originally posted way out of context. He's saying it's his preference and I'm also saying it's my preference.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options

You've taken what he originally posted way out of context. He's saying it's his preference and I'm also saying it's my preference.
    I didn't comment on what he said about his preference, or what you said.
    I said I was commenting on the quote, which gets thrown around by a lot of people far too much.