Annoying statements made about area of residence

Options

Replies

• Cgavigan
    Cgavigan Posts: 16
    Options
    New York takes the cake though, I mean do you know how many times i've heard "WOW SO LIKE, WHAT'S IT LIKE LIVING IN SUCH A BUSTLING CITY? DO YOU RANDOMLY MEET CELEBRITIES?"

Becuase you know, apparently New York = New York City.

Exactly! I'm in Rochester. NOT New York City, but no one has a clue that there are other places in NY... It is a BIG state people!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    THEM: "Ohhhhh, you're from Texas! How many cows do you have?"

ME: "If I keep eating steak at this rate, I'd say 3 huge *kitten* ones by now" *eyeroll*
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As soon as someone finds out I'm from Alabama I get bombarded with Forrest Gump jokes & one-liners. Very, very original, folks ;)

Also... I now live in a city called Tuscaloosa. It's often referred to as T-Town. That's just not very interesting and bordering on annoying whenever I hear or read it.

ETA: Regarding the Gump jokes... I guess it's irresistible since I'm Jennie & from AL. Just gets so f'ing old.

And of course when people learn you're from Alabama they automatically assume you're an Alabama fan.....

Take a look at my username people... War Eagle Baby! (that's Auburn University for those that don't know)
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I always get "Where's that?" ... From a small town in Georgia, that just recently got put on some maps!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    "There's nothing in Indiana but corn"....

That's not true!

wait....

yeah it is :grumble:
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    "So, you're from Missour-a?" No, I'm from Missouri"

There's an "i" on the end not an "a" or an "uh". Thanks George W. for getting it wrong every time.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Before moving to Texas, I lived in Miami FL

1. "Miami, Have you met JLo?"
    A. No
    2. "How are all the women?"
    A. Amazing
    3. "Did you live near the beach?"
    A. Yes
    4. "Arent there alot of hispanics?"
    A. Its North Cuba

and many many more...
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am from Maryland,and I hate when people pronounce it "Merrrrrland" or refer to Washington, DC as "Warshington" There is NO R!!!! and I am sorry saying "Mar-y-land" is one extra syllabul (sp?) than "Merrrr-land"
  • blueday617
    blueday617 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're from Pennsylvania? What do you grow on your farm? :sad:
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    "There's nothing in Indiana but corn"....

That's not true!

wait....

yeah it is :grumble:

lol
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Before moving to Texas, I lived in Miami FL

1. "Miami, Have you met JLo?"
    A. No
    2. "How are all the women?"
    A. Amazing
    3. "Did you live near the beach?"
    A. Yes
    4. "Arent there alot of hispanics?"
    A. Its North Cuba

and many many more...

I lived in Miami till last year... I absolutely HATE the place!!! It is indeed North Cuba... and good luck getting a YOB if you don't speak fluent Espanol.. They have now changed it to Native Tongue because other's have learned Spanish...
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    "Oh, you're from Virginia. Is Virginia really for lovers?" Yep, that's what we do. All day. Every day.
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am from Maryland,and I hate when people pronounce it "Merrrrrland" or refer to Washington, DC as "Warshington" There is NO R!!!! and I am sorry saying "Mar-y-land" is one extra syllabul (sp?) than "Merrrr-land"

Okay I'm afraid to say "Maryland" now.
  • beccas27
    beccas27 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh ur from Kentucky. I heard everyone is dating their cousin & have no teeth.

Just to clear the record I have all my teeth & I only date my 2nd cousin.. LOL
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]

I lived in Miami till last year... I absolutely HATE the place!!! It is indeed North Cuba... and good luck getting a YOB if you don't speak fluent Espanol.. They have now changed it to Native Tongue because other's have learned Spanish...
    [/quote]

A YOB LOL SPOT ON!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I was out in Northern California visiting family last summer and a server at a P.F. Changs noticed my obvious southern accent.

She asked where I was from and I said Alabama. "Ah yes!" she exclaimed "Alabama! Roll tide!!, Right?!"

No. not Roll Tide.. you just said that to a table full of Auburn Alumni... :ohwell:

We laughed and corrected her, and she gave us a "War Eagle", even though, I think she had no clue what that meant. :laugh:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You live in Pittsburgh? What do you think about what so-and-do did on that play during the [Steeler] game last week/yesterday?

Um...I don't watch football, so I don't have a clue.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    As soon as someone finds out I'm from Alabama I get bombarded with Forrest Gump jokes & one-liners. Very, very original, folks ;)

Also... I now live in a city called Tuscaloosa. It's often referred to as T-Town. That's just not very interesting and bordering on annoying whenever I hear or read it.

ETA: Regarding the Gump jokes... I guess it's irresistible since I'm Jennie & from AL. Just gets so f'ing old.

And of course when people learn you're from Alabama they automatically assume you're an Alabama fan.....

Take a look at my username people... War Eagle Baby! (that's Auburn University for those that don't know)

Yes... and I take some sort of perverse delight in letting them know I'm an Auburn alum & fan ;)

Oh... War Eagle!!!! :D
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Iowa...Oh thats where they grow potatoes. Or Iowa do you eat anything other than corn?

Or "Do you live on a farm?" No I was born in the city. "They have cities in the middle of corn fields?" Yes believe it or not we are not all Children of the Corn.

I don't believe it for a second!! :smokin:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Chiming in from Maine...
    Nope doesn't 'snow all the time'
    No we are not ALL missing teeth
    Not all of us drop the R to every word ending in it
    :laugh: