Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• Leila8530
    Leila8530 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    They do rock! However, I always have a hard time doing them right.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I did 135 pounds today just to see if I could. It wasn't as hard as I thought and I was even able to put it down gently! Yay!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I did 135 pounds today just to see if I could. It wasn't as hard as I thought and I was even able to put it down gently! Yay!

2 plates! you're in business!
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE deadlifts! I started working out again in March of this year, after being off for several years due to a shoulder injury and reconstructive surgery to fix it. I'd never done a deadlift before, and my trainer started me out with 35lb kettlebells.

My PR is now 141lbs, and that's doing 8 reps. I've never tried for a 1-rep max.

DEADLIFTS ROCK.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

Squats focus on your quads, while deadlifts focus on the hamstrings. Squats works a lot on your core stability and balance where deadlifts work on low back strength as well as explosiveness. They combined are a fantastic leg/core workout! Don't neglect either!
    Deadlifts can badly injure you and squats can injure you not as badly

Ah-hahahahaha (this WAS a joke . . . right?!?). That's some of the most flocking redunk grouping of words I've read on here. Please research exercises for muscle groups, the benefits of compound moves, and the issues that can arise out of having hamis that are too weak to counter balance quad strength including the extensive research around how this is most likely the cause of about 80% of knee injuries, particularly in female athletes. Using proper form is key to reducing injury. If you're getting hurt chances are you're doing it wrong.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    As I said before in another thread about deadlifts...

Usually after a set of deadlifts or even attempting a new PR, I put that weight down and immediately am filled with the urge to b*tch slap someone, wrestle a bear to death and then *kitten* my girlfriend atop my new bearskin rug and sire a new breed of Christophers.

I love deadlifts.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

Squats focus on your quads, while deadlifts focus on the hamstrings. Squats works a lot on your core stability and balance where deadlifts work on low back strength as well as explosiveness. They combined are a fantastic leg/core workout! Don't neglect either!

You can totally get injured crossing the street. Just ask my grandma...she tripped last year crossing the street in Philly, she had to get stiches over her eye. She looked like a bad *kitten*!
  • MB_Positif
    Options

2 plates! you're in business!

Thanks!! :happy: I was super surprised....I thought I would struggle, but I really didn't. It felt good and now I want to try for more!!
  • DisputedEnds
    Options

If people actually did always lift with their legs, why are we always having to be reminded to 'lift with your legs'? Strengthening your lower back is beneficial for a variety of reasons.
    I meant that both workouts are mainly in your upper legs and biceps. And dead lifts are easy i want a challenge. They are the most dangerous work out that you can do if you pop your lower back your done. Plus there is way safer ways to work your lower back and more efficient.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love dead lifts!

I agree try the mixed grip, you will sail past 300! Squats are also a great exercise and smoke me but nothing pumps me up and then gives me that calm smooth and easy feeling like dead lifts. And like someone else said, I always feel like I'm in beast mode after dead lifts!
  • DisputedEnds
    Options

You can totally get injured crossing the street. Just ask my grandma...she tripped last year crossing the street in Philly, she had to get stiches over her eye. She looked like a bad *kitten*!
    you cant just get stitches if you pop your lower back.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

you cant just get stitches if you pop your lower back.

Yes...I know this...I was just sayin' that you can get injured doing quite a lot of every day activities so why limit yourself in regards to fitness. I know that lots of people go into lifting blindly and get hurt, but if you do some research and start light enough to learn proper form you should be ok.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If people actually did always lift with their legs, why are we always having to be reminded to 'lift with your legs'? Strengthening your lower back is beneficial for a variety of reasons.
    I meant that both workouts are mainly in your upper legs and biceps. And dead lifts are easy i want a challenge. They are the most dangerous work out that you can do if you pop your lower back your done. Plus there is way safer ways to work your lower back and more efficient.

You obviously are doing them wrong from your description.

ETA: you want a challenge - slap more plates on!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Biceps? I've been doing things all wrong...

Anyway, Exercises come in pairs. If you do squats, you should do deadlifts, they're buddies that work complementary muscle groups. I prefer squats personally, but doing squats instead of deadlifts will lead to imbalanced muscle development and ultimately injury.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

dead lifts are easy? put some weight on the bar, works better that way.
    feeling like they're a big risk and you're going to hurt your back? lean the correct form. and keep improving.

you know what i didn't do when i was a newb to weight lifting? go on weight lifting topics and start making stuff up....
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Biceps? I've been doing things all wrong...

Anyway, Exercises come in pairs. If you do squats, you should do deadlifts, they're buddies that work complementary muscle groups. I prefer squats personally, but doing squats instead of deadlifts will lead to imbalanced muscle development and ultimately injury.

Haha! Great minds girl!

I've got the scar to show what doing any sort of deadlift with your biceps results in lol. Granted it was an emergency and I wasn't exactly taking time out to consider form and plan of attack...but still.
  • DisputedEnds
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't even care of it has any physical benefits. Just feeling like a bad motherfcker is benefit enough. Anything else is just a bonus.

So true!!! Deadlifts are my favorite.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

YOU BE TRIPPIN'.