Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I did these last night for the first time and clearly did them wrong. I tweaked a muscle in my lower back and now I'm scared of them. I'm not sure as a woman starting out how much weight to start with on dead lifts, any advice?

Check out Mark Rippetoe's videos on YouTube - they are about the best ones out there explaining proper form.

I will check that out also. Thanks for the help!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

LOL, whut?
    I did these last night for the first time and clearly did them wrong. I tweaked a muscle in my lower back and now I'm scared of them. I'm not sure as a woman starting out how much weight to start with on dead lifts, any advice?

Start with the bar...for however long it takes to get your form nailed. You don't need to be lifting weight until you can do it properly :).

Thank you, I'm going to take this advice.

The only things with that is that you might want to stack some plates on the floor so the bar lands in a more "real" starting position. You really don't want to touch-and-go with the DL, so this will help teach you let the bar hit the floor, reset, and lift properly.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

LOL, whut?

Start with the bar...for however long it takes to get your form nailed. You don't need to be lifting weight until you can do it properly :).

Thank you, I'm going to take this advice.

The only things with that is that you might want to stack some plates on the floor so the bar lands in a more "real" starting position. You really don't want to touch-and-go with the DL, so this will help teach you let the bar hit the floor, reset, and lift properly.

Nice catch...I didn't even think to mention that. If your gym has a proper lift station, there will be adjustable bars that slide into the cage. You can use these to set the bar at the proper height (about mid shin).

Here's an example, the bars adjust by sliding out and then back in, you do the deadlift inside the rack:

BWdy1kgBmkKGrHgoH-CgEjlLl5ZdBKjJ9rMrQ_35.jpg
  • JNick77
    Options
    Nice catch...I didn't even think to mention that. If your gym has a proper lift station, there will be adjustable bars that slide into the cage. You can use these to set the bar at the proper height (about mid shin).

Here's an example, the bars adjust by sliding out and then back in, you do the deadlift inside the rack:

Yeah, that's actually a better and easier solution then having to stack plates on the floor. Stacking the plates can be a workout in itself.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options

Yeah, that's actually a better and easier solution then having to stack plates on the floor. Stacking the plates can be a workout in itself.

??? Why shorten the ROM and not lift from the floor?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

It's in order to get the same bar height that you would if there were 45# plates on the bar.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options

It's in order to get the same bar height that you would if there were 45# plates on the bar.

Ah, thanks. I should read more carefully.
  • JNick77
    Options

Exactly. Taking an empty bar straight to the floor for anybody that's taller than four-foot tall (exaggeration) would be put in a poor position and eliminate the benefit of learning to train with good form.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I set mine on cinder blocks. They're pretty close to the same height as a 45 lb plate. The biggest plates I currently own are 35s. And I lift on my back porch and don't want to drop the weights straight onto the floor. When I move I'm planning on getting some rubber mats to put on the garage floor.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I set mine on cinder blocks. They're pretty close to the same height as a 45 lb plate. The biggest plates I currently own are 35s. And I lift on my back porch and don't want to drop the weights straight onto the floor. When I move I'm planning on getting some rubber mats to put on the garage floor.

bumper plates are great for this purpose too, though pretty pricey as compared to regular plates.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Right on! Love em too!!! At 225 lbs right now and climbing!
  • JNick77
    Options

bumper plates are great for this purpose too, though pretty pricey as compared to regular plates.

I know, I wish my gym had bumper plates. I wouldn't care about just letting go on heavy singles for DL's and Cleans.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are as equally delightful as squats, IMO :drinker:
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    The only thing I miss about not having a gym membership is a straight bar for deadlifts. I can do everything else in my setup at home. (Well, cleans, too. I miss cleans. And real squats. But I miss deads most!)
  • JNick77
    Options
    Deadlifts are as equally delightful as squats, IMO :drinker:

Yup. For me the only difference is that I can be more aggressive and not worry about missing on a DL attempt. Since nobody in my gym knows how to "spot" for squats, or benching for that matter, I tend to back-off a tad.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    bumper plates are great for this purpose too,
    I would love to have bumper plates.
    though pretty pricey as compared to regular plates.
    And that's why I don't.

Someday I will have them.

My whole setup has come from Craigslist and the used sporting goods store where they sell weights for .59/pound. They never have bumper plates and I imagine they would want more than that for them.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did them for the first time ever yesterday. Wow. And ow. But the good kind of ow. But I only lifted 65# lol.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    Deadlifts are starting to replace my squat fetish. Started using a 55 lb fat bar and then tried the 45 oly and felt fabulous! My PR so far is 175. Great for the bum! :bigsmile:
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I LOVE deadlifts, more than any other lift. Not lifting any great weight at the moment (140 in sets of 10) but love the fact that I can keep increasing the weight I lift.... It is the one place I really see a progression :)