Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Currently I can low squat into the 400's and pull into the 500's, not bad for a 39 year old bodybuilder.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    yep, gonna get some trainer help in the next couple of weeks...I wanna make sure my form is tip top, also...I have back issues too, that I want to keep in check....Excited!!:drinker:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day!

Switch grip was awesome...plus the tiny break it gives switching hands was just enough to reset my grip. Did 2 reps normal grip, then right switch, left switch, right switch, left switch.

135lbs*6 (warmup)
    155lbs*5 (warmup)
    155lbs*6 (warmup)
    295lbs*6 (since I go for 4 reps on my working set...I'm going to hit 315lbs next week and see how it goes!)
    245lbs*5
    225lbs*6

My form was starting to crap out by the last set lol. I know I could have put on over 300lbs today, maybe substantially over...but I'm taking it slow...

Sweet feeling :).

Oh also, my 6th rep at 295lbs was still in good form, but I think a 7th may have been shaky, and I didn't want to push it at that weight. Better to slightly cheat my workout, than injure myself with an exercise I haven't done in 50yrs.

Nice pulls Chris. I've never gotten around to trying them with a Snatch grip. I've done power snatches but never DL's w/ Snatch grip. How's that feel with your bicep?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day!

Switch grip was awesome...plus the tiny break it gives switching hands was just enough to reset my grip. Did 2 reps normal grip, then right switch, left switch, right switch, left switch.

135lbs*6 (warmup)
    155lbs*5 (warmup)
    155lbs*6 (warmup)
    295lbs*6 (since I go for 4 reps on my working set...I'm going to hit 315lbs next week and see how it goes!)
    245lbs*5
    225lbs*6

My form was starting to crap out by the last set lol. I know I could have put on over 300lbs today, maybe substantially over...but I'm taking it slow...

Oh also, my 6th rep at 295lbs was still in good form, but I think a 7th may have been shaky, and I didn't want to push it at that weight. Better to slightly cheat my workout, than injure myself with an exercise I haven't done in 50yrs.

Nice pulls Chris. I've never gotten around to trying them with a Snatch grip. I've done power snatches but never DL's w/ Snatch grip. How's that feel with your bicep?

Thanks man...I'm happy to say I know there's more in there too lol.

As for how it feels...it doesn't. My biceps (either side) don't even feel tight. It's a straight link down my arms. The biceps are just along for the ride it seems.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day!

135lbs*6 (warmup)
    155lbs*5 (warmup)
    155lbs*6 (warmup)
    245lbs*5
    225lbs*6

As for how it feels...it doesn't. My biceps (either side) don't even feel tight. It's a straight link down my arms. The biceps are just along for the ride it seems.

Then, according to Rippletoe, you are doing it right! Reading Starting Strength right now! Nice work Bro!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That was awesome!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Deadlift day!

135lbs*6 (warmup)
    155lbs*5 (warmup)
    155lbs*6 (warmup)
    245lbs*5
    225lbs*6

Then, according to Rippletoe, you are doing it right! Reading Starting Strength right now! Nice work Bro!

Thanks man. It really was sort of scary. The whole switch grip position is what ripped my lower biceps off the bone in the first place when I lifted my top heavy 400lb motorcycle with basically my right arm :l.

Obviously, I was doing it wrong =p.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Deadlift day!

135lbs*6 (warmup)
    155lbs*5 (warmup)
    155lbs*6 (warmup)
    245lbs*5
    225lbs*6

Thanks man. It really was sort of scary. The whole switch grip position is what ripped my lower biceps off the bone in the first place when I lifted my top heavy 400lb motorcycle with basically my right arm :l.

Obviously, I was doing it wrong =p.

As you were working to save the life of your child, I don't think your form was where your focus was at that moment! BTW, Rip is not in favor of the switch position grip but, in my limited expereince, once you get pulling over 250 to 300, you almost need to go to it unless you have some kind of bionic grip strength! LOl
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    As you were working to save the life of your child, I don't think your form was where your focus was at that moment! BTW, Rip is not in favor of the switch position grip but, in my limited expereince, once you get pulling over 250 to 300, you almost need to go to it unless you have some kind of bionic grip strength! LOl

Well, not quite his life, but yeah...that's what was in my head lol. Running bike, hot exhaust, leaking fuel, 5yr old trapped.

Anyhow...check this video out. This is exactly how I switched as well (there's other lifts in there also).

http://youtu.be/CAX94eA2zrA
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I can't watch it on my phone so I'll have to look at it when I get back to my computer. Is a power clean the same thing as a clean and jerk?

Clean & Jerk starts with a power clean, and then there's an explosive push press at the end with the legs going into a split stance (?). Picture's worth a thousand words.. when you're on your computer check out youtube.

Power clean is sort of the gateway lift into olympic lifting. I haven't done them in months.. I should get back on it.

Youtube Mike Burgener, in my opinion he teachs very well how to power clean and jerk..

not to take away from the thread on deadlifting... Chris already told ya, you did great... i can easily see the weight jumping up for ya. Keep at it man. DL day for me tomorrow, Can't wait! lol
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I had to drive to Texarkana today. The last time I made a similar trip was about three months ago. 4 hours into the trip I had intense pain shooting down my leg that lasted for the next two hours of the trip and then was intermittent two additional hours that it took to get from Texarkana to my final destination. I was in the car for a total of ten or eleven hours today with no back pain. I'm giving a good deal of credit for that to the fact that my back is stronger from two months of weIghts including Deadlifts.

Deadlifts. Is their anything they can't fix?
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    Ok so Dead-lift day .....

Went like this....

135x12 (Warm-up)
    185x10 (warm-up)
    225x6
    275x6
    315x5
    335x5
    365x3 (PR) Hopefully i can get 5 next time!!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Ok so Dead-lift day .....

Went like this....

135x12 (Warm-up)
    185x10 (warm-up)
    225x6
    275x6
    315x5
    335x5
    365x3 (PR) Hopefully i can get 5 next time!!

Freakin rocks man!!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    One of my favs!!! I lifted my personal best Monday, 145 pounds... Felt like a BAD *kitten* CHICK!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The worst part about deadlift day is the long wait until the next deadlift day

:glasses: Yes.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Crisanderson and Goldn326,
    What kind of programs are y'all doing and what is the formula for your set/rep structure?

Those are impressive weights.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Crisanderson and Goldn326,
    What kind of programs are y'all doing and what is the formula for your set/rep structure?

Those are impressive weights.

Thanks man :).

Mine is a very simple reverse pyramid. Three warmup sets of 5-6 reps each, with the final set being no more than 50% of your working weight (that's my target anyhow). The goal of the warmup is not to fatigue you AT ALL...just get you ready. You start your working sets with the max weight you can do 4 reps of, deload 10% and rest 3m, then 5 reps, deload 10% and rest 3m, and then 6 reps. Done. When you hit the point where you can do 6 reps with your initial working set, add weight.

It's been working incredibly well. I put weight on the bar each week in almost every lift (just stalled with benches, but I'm still increasing reps!). I'm also using the same system with dips and chin ups. I added 60lbs to my bodyweight (I weighed 198 in workout form on the gym scale) today for dips, and am up to 20lbs (don't laugh!! I had to start somewhere lol!) for chin ups.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thanks.

I'm definitely not going to laugh at 20 pounds added to chin ups. I did one actual chin up the other day and still can't do a pull up.
  • ChrisGoldn
    Options
    I have my own workout but follow 5x5 system for Bench/Deadlifts/Squats and overhead presses. Like Cris i try to add 5lbs per workout. If i stall that week, i'll deload (usually is 20% of failed weight) and ramp back up. As well i do 2-3 warm-up sets depending on how i feel before working sets.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just completed my work sets

262.5 x 5
    297.5 x 3
    332.5 x 3

New 3RM. Woohoo!