Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Very jealous that you have chains at your gym! Do you ever use bands too? Good stuff!!

I've seen and YouTubed the band situation!

Like this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3y7K3NNxs

We have them, but haven't used them and I never know what we're doing until class starts and it's on the board. I don't know if it's the music or the dude in that video (maybe both combined!!!), but I'm now a little scared of the bands. :laugh:

Bands are good but more commonly used in Dynamic/Speed work or if you're working on a sticking point. It's a good way to build resistance near the lockout or coming out of the hole. You can also use it to release some of the resistance and overload the lift a little bit.

I think the fact that you have a power lifting trainer watching your progress and adjusting your work based on what he sees is so awesome.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me look bad. Last night I did:

10 @145 (warm up)
    5 x 8 @ 225

I suppose I need to add more weight but I'm still babying this tender rib on the left side.

Are you guys using straps because my grip gets pretty tired on the 5th set of 8 reps with just 225 lbs.

5 sets of 8 reps is a lot lol, my grip would be wiped by then for sure man. By comparison, you lifted 9000lbs on your working sets, PLUS a warmup of 1450lbs. I lifted 6860lbs TOTAL, including my warmup.

No surprise your grip is wiped!!

But to answer your question, no on the straps. I've read that they are basically a crutch, and not a good thing to come to rely on.

Then again, I've also read that bacon gives you cancer...so who the hell knows?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    By comparison, you lifted 9000lbs on your working sets, PLUS a warmup of 1450lbs
    Well when you put it that way it does sound like a lot of work. I know that it made me sweat a lot more than the treadmill ever does. I was denied a hug when I got home. (The sweatier I am the more effort I put into giving the wife a hug. :laugh: )
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me look bad. Last night I did:

10 @145 (warm up)
    5 x 8 @ 225

I suppose I need to add more weight but I'm still babying this tender rib on the left side.

Are you guys using straps because my grip gets pretty tired on the 5th set of 8 reps with just 225 lbs.

5 sets of 8 reps is a lot lol, my grip would be wiped by then for sure man. By comparison, you lifted 9000lbs on your working sets, PLUS a warmup of 1450lbs. I lifted 6860lbs TOTAL, including my warmup.

No surprise your grip is wiped!!

But to answer your question, no on the straps. I've read that they are basically a crutch, and not a good thing to come to rely on.

Then again, I've also read that bacon gives you cancer...so who the hell knows?

There is nothing wrong with straps unless you do PL competitions. Most BB'ers use straps on all heavy pulling lifts.

I train forearms and grip separately, absolutely no reason to let grip get in the way of my pulling PR's.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the weakest person here, so far I have just progressed at 35 kgs or 70+lbs. up from 30kgs. or about 65-68 lbs. doing it for 6 reps.

I have been deadlifting for almost a year now & I hope to reach the 100 lb. mark soon.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Freakin love deadlifts. 2nd week doing them busted out 135lbs 5x5 with perfect form.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Freakin love deadlifts. 2nd week doing them busted out 135lbs 5x5 with perfect form.

I was there, it was awesome.

But make sure you tell the full story Lori!...you didn't think you could do it!

:)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Sweet! If you can lift the bar and a full plate you're getting serious respect from everyone in the gym.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the weakest person here, so far I have just progressed at 35 kgs or 70+lbs. up from 30kgs. or about 65-68 lbs. doing it for 6 reps.

I have been deadlifting for almost a year now & I hope to reach the 100 lb. mark soon.

Nothing wrong with that. You gotta start somewhere.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Most 5x5 type strength routines I have seen only have you do 1 work set of deadlifts
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Dropped back the weight a little this morning so I could make a few more reps and make sure my form was spot on. Back to 92kg (203lb) for 2X5.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Most 5x5 type strength routines I have seen only have you do 1 work set of deadlifts

Yes typical Stronglifts 5x5 is more focus on Squats and only 1x5 DL

Generally that workout looks like Mon-Wed-Fri

Workout A

Squats (always first) 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B

Squats 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

And you just keep rotating between A and B

Hence why i said i have my own routine but do 5x5 system for Squats Deadlifts Bench Press and Overhead presses
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

My 5x5 thing had me pulling 5 sets. granted 3ish were a warmup, the last 2 were a decent weight.

5/3/1 has you pulling 3 sets, and depending on how your working max is set, all 3 sets are gonna be pretty heavy.
  • JNick77
    Options

My 5x5 thing had me pulling 5 sets. granted 3ish were a warmup, the last 2 were a decent weight.

5/3/1 has you pulling 3 sets, and depending on how your working max is set, all 3 sets are gonna be pretty heavy.

That's one thing I love about the Westside method. On dynamic effort day you pull for singles and then on max effort day you only pull for singles again but on max effort day you pull towards a true 1-rep max, so your head definitely needs to be on straight.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Pulled 315lbs for 4.5 reps today...that last rep was soooo close.

Funny story though (sort of)...I was just about to let the weight down anyhow...when some asshat walked up and started asking me how many sets I had left.

Yes, with 6 plates on the bar and me 2/3 of the way up.

I set the weight down, and straight up ignored him like he didn't exist until I was done...at which point I said 'none'.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Funny story though (sort of)...I was just about to let the weight down anyhow...when some asshat walked up and started asking me how many sets I had left.

I set the weight down, and straight up ignored him like he didn't exist until I was done...at which point I said 'none'.

lol. I HATE asshats! I would have deloaded to some amount of weight I could waste time doing easily, and spent another 10 minutes intentionally ****ing around. Jerk.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

lol. I HATE asshats! I would have deloaded to some amount of weight I could waste time doing easily, and spent another 10 minutes intentionally ****ing around. Jerk.

I still had two sets to go...with full 3 minute rests in between...and I took my sweet time deloading the bar as well.

One really cool thing though. This big 6'9" yoked up mother heffer had eyeballs the size of saucers watching me lift that bar. 315lbs is good I think, but isn't THAT much...there's TONS of guys around here on MFP lifting more.

I wanted to tell him it's ok though, I've only got to lift it half the distance he does lol.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I still had two sets to go...with full 3 minute rests in between...and I took my sweet time deloading the bar as well.

On really cool thing though. This big 6'9" yoked up mother heffer had eyeballs the size of saucers watching me lift that bar. 315lbs is good I think, but isn't THAT much...there's TONS of guys around here on MFP lifting more.

I wanted to tell him it's ok though, I've only got to lift it half the distance he does lol.

Rolf! There is some benefit for us short guys!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I do like deadlifts now that I have my form down. I am up to 100lbs. I can't wait until I can do 135. lol.
  • JNick77
    Options

One really cool thing though. This big 6'9" yoked up mother heffer had eyeballs the size of saucers watching me lift that bar. 315lbs is good I think, but isn't THAT much...there's TONS of guys around here on MFP lifting more.

Still good pulls Chris.

I've found that often big *kitten* guys like that are only strong in the upper body and their lower body is terrible. My bench sucks (265lbs for a single) but my legs are stronger than this one guy that benches 405lbs and I bet I could probably total more weight then he could.