Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with a slow bench. It seems like when I start improving my bench something happens, either my shoulder acts up, the tendon I ruptured gets irritated, or recently I had some tennis elbow going on. I just don't think I'm made to bench, I have long arms. Even though our bench is slow to improve at least we can say it's improving. :)

Definitely...but I've got shorter arms lol...so no excuse here =p. I did tweak my shoulder a month and a half ago doing dumbbell chest presses, and it still hurts a little when lifting, which is why I'm using the hammer machine still. I really want to get back to barbell benches. Under a barbell, it hurts substantially more than 'a little' lol.

I'm getting a solid half rep a week though (up to 5 reps with 250lbs), like clockwork. It's not much, but like you said...it's an improvement and I'll take it lol.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I love this Thread!!!!

We need a Freakin Squats! and a Freakin Bench! to go along with it!!! lol

No kidding right?!?

It's missing all the crap that makes half the threads on this forum /facepalm worthy lol.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I did romanian DLs for the first time on Tuesday and my hammies/glutes are smashed... I don't know why I haven't been doing them all along, I am really quad dominant so they're awesome for me!

Good for you! It's common that people are quad dominant. Look at our exercise selection for legs that are the obvious exercises to do. Squats (any variation), Conventional Deadlifts, DB Squats, Lunges (DB or BB), Plyometric jumps, Leg Press, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, and Calf Raises (I'm sure I'm missing something). All but two of those are quad dominant movements. That's not to say the posterior chain isn't involved but the main muscle to engage are the quadriceps. Now you look at some of the less obvious exercises, or at least those forgotten about or even taboo, for the lower back and you have Good Mornings, RDL's, Back Hyperextensions, Reverse Hyperextensions, Pull-Through's, Glute-Ham Raises, Glute Bridges and you have some exercises that seriously hit your lower back and hammies. Unfortunately Glute Ham Raises pretty much require a specialized bench that most gyms don't have. But most gyms have 10 calf raise machines...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Indeed, this thread bucks the trend of all the MFP stoopid.

By the way, side question here. When crisanderson27 burns calories from exercise, should I drink those calories back in the form of beer?
  • JNick77
    Options

By the way, side question here. When crisanderson27 burns calories from exercise, should I drink those calories back in the form of beer?

I actually got inspired earlier and started this thread, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/681920-strength-training-pr-s-brag-about-your-success, hoping that we could carry this over and get talking about more than just deadlifting, not that there's anything wrong with deadlifting by any means.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with a slow bench. It seems like when I start improving my bench something happens, either my shoulder acts up, the tendon I ruptured gets irritated, or recently I had some tennis elbow going on. I just don't think I'm made to bench, I have long arms. Even though our bench is slow to improve at least we can say it's improving. :)

Definitely...but I've got shorter arms lol...so no excuse here =p. I did tweak my shoulder a month and a half ago doing dumbbell chest presses, and it still hurts a little when lifting, which is why I'm using the hammer machine still. I really want to get back to barbell benches. Under a barbell, it hurts substantially more than 'a little' lol.

I'm getting a solid half rep a week though (up to 5 reps with 250lbs), like clockwork. It's not much, but like you said...it's an improvement and I'll take it lol.

Ha, we should compare notes. I f'd up my shoulder a few years back doing bench work, this before I had seen any videos from Dave Tate or anything on powerlifting bench form. I know people will be like WTF when they read this but since I've put a little focus into isolation work on my lateral and front deltoids my shoulder health has improved quite a bit.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I actually got inspired earlier and started this thread, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/681920-strength-training-pr-s-brag-about-your-success, hoping that we could carry this over and get talking about more than just deadlifting, not that there's anything wrong with deadlifting by any means.

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't seen it. Off to read/bump it!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I did romanian DLs for the first time on Tuesday and my hammies/glutes are smashed... I don't know why I haven't been doing them all along, I am really quad dominant so they're awesome for me!

Good for you! It's common that people are quad dominant. Look at our exercise selection for legs that are the obvious exercises to do. Squats (any variation), Conventional Deadlifts, DB Squats, Lunges (DB or BB), Plyometric jumps, Leg Press, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, and Calf Raises (I'm sure I'm missing something). All but two of those are quad dominant movements. That's not to say the posterior chain isn't involved but the main muscle to engage are the quadriceps. Now you look at some of the less obvious exercises, or at least those forgotten about or even taboo, for the lower back and you have Good Mornings, RDL's, Back Hyperextensions, Reverse Hyperextensions, Pull-Through's, Glute-Ham Raises, Glute Bridges and you have some exercises that seriously hit your lower back and hammies. Unfortunately Glute Ham Raises pretty much require a specialized bench that most gyms don't have. But most gyms have 10 calf raise machines...

Add my olympic lifting to the list, as that's where the majority of my quad dominance comes from.
  • JNick77
    Options

Add my olympic lifting to the list, as that's where the majority of my quad dominance comes from.

For sure, especially if you're doing a full snatch or clean from the floor.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this was already addressed, I didn't want to read 11 pages to check ;)

I just started training my husband on Stronglifts, do most of you guys only do 1 set of DL's? I usually do more than one set myself but I'm using the New Rules for myself right now...
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Dood, only if I don't get to them first!
  • Nataliaho
    Options

For sure, especially if you're doing a full snatch or clean from the floor.

Well it wouldn't be olympic if it wasn't :laugh:
  • Nataliaho
    Options

GROSS!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I just started training my husband on Stronglifts, do most of you guys only do 1 set of DL's? I usually do more than one set myself but I'm using the New Rules for myself right now...

I do 5x5 DL's (working sets) I have my own modified Stronglifts but generally follow the weight increase increments with deload when i plateau as stated.

But Because Stronglifts 5x5 is squat heavy thats the main reason they only have you 1 DL (working set)
  • crisanderson27
    Options

GROSS!

You don't like beer lol?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I'm doing Stronglifts right now (but I bumped down my squats to 3x5 because I run as well - in fact I skipped squats yesterday because my legs aren't getting any recovery time) and I do 1 "working set" of DL but I do more warm-up sets with them than I do with the other lifts.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

GROSS!

You don't like beer lol?

I try to drink back others' exercise calories in beer any time the opportunity presents. I think that's what empty calories means.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Well it wouldn't be olympic if it wasn't :laugh:

Word! :wink:

It's funny because I actually worry about my back when doing a Clean from the floor but I have no worries about loading up a bar and deadlifting. I don't know what my mental block is about it either. I've never hurt myself doing cleans but I have doing DL's. Oh well... LOL
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I do a warm up progression of 50% 1RM, 75% 1RM then a work set at 90% 1RM.
  • marcharing
    marcharing Posts: 14
    Options
    I do up to 8 reps of 145Kgs which I think is around 320Ibs and then a couple more sets of 130Kgs. Not too bad for a 52 year old I guess. It's a great excercise which I do once a week as part of my weekly routine but always with a day of rest before and after. I'm good at my gym but the likes of Martin Berkhan who is a light weight can be seen doing 600Ibs on youtube. Scary.