Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I also have back issues (herniated a disc lifting a piano about 9 years ago and then reinjured it about two years ago) so I was very tentative starting out. I've been very cognizant of my form and so far haven't had any back issues at all.

You have a known herniated disk and you are doing dead lifts? :huh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have my own workout but follow 5x5 system for Bench/Deadlifts/Squats and overhead presses. Like Cris i try to add 5lbs per workout. If i stall that week, i'll deload (usually is 20% of failed weight) and ramp back up. As well i do 2-3 warm-up sets depending on how i feel before working sets.

I really like the 5x5 setup...but it eventually got to a point where I wasn't seeing gains anymore. When I was doing it though, I wasn't deadlifting, or squatting. Instead I did squat presses for legs, and back extensions for my lower back. When I did stall to a point where deloading didn't really help, I started an 8x3 modification for a bit with deloaded weight. In just a few weeks I was getting where I could lift what I used to lift 5x5, on the 8x3 (gains again!)...but before I got the chance to switch back to 5x5, I changed my whole workout. I was originally doing a full 5 or so exercises (full body) 3x a week.

Now...my workout is MUCH more simple.

Workout A (Monday)
    Deadlift
    Weighted Chin Ups

Workout B (Wednesday)
    Bench Press (I'm using hammer strength machines due to my shoulder injury)
    Weighted Dips

Workout C (Friday)
    Squats
    Weighted Calf Raises

I may be working barbell rows in there somewhere here in the near future.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i havent failed 2 deloads in a row to successfully say on those 4 lifts that 5x5 system has reached its maximum potential... However i do suspect i'm close to that point where i will have to make a change.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just completed my work sets

262.5 x 5
    297.5 x 3
    332.5 x 3

New 3RM. Woohoo!

Good Work!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

262.5 x 5
    297.5 x 3
    332.5 x 3

New 3RM. Woohoo!

Missed this post...that's awesome man!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Thanks deadliftin homies. I was hoping to make 5 on that last set, but I guess I was a bit weak today. Next week is planned deload week, but I might try to test my true 1RM's next week. I have never done that yet.
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options

262.5 x 5
    297.5 x 3
    332.5 x 3

New 3RM. Woohoo!

Fantastic! This thread is quickly becoming my fave. I love seeing people improve on their numbers: motivating!
  • ryan_k3377
    Options
    Deadlifts = EPIC gains.. love them!!
  • BarbACona
    BarbACona Posts: 76
    Options
    Totally unrelated to the deadlift conversation, I noticed your profile pic and I was a fan of the show also, kinda' miss them all and the confusion they presented to me!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

262.5 x 5
    297.5 x 3
    332.5 x 3

New 3RM. Woohoo!

Missed this post...that's awesome man!

Agree! Nice work!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Today's lower body max effort day was deadlifts and I pulled a personal best of 385lbs. It went up fairly crisp too and I figured it best to leave it at that for the day. In six weeks I'm going to shoot for 400, can't wait. Ever since I started Westside my back and legs have never felt stronger. I put 30lbs on my DL in basically four-weeks.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    i havent failed 2 deloads in a row to successfully say on those 4 lifts that 5x5 system has reached its maximum potential... However i do suspect i'm close to that point where i will have to make a change.

Don't forget microloading for however long that may help.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I also have back issues (herniated a disc lifting a piano about 9 years ago and then reinjured it about two years ago) so I was very tentative starting out. I've been very cognizant of my form and so far haven't had any back issues at all.

You have a known herniated disk and you are doing dead lifts? :huh:

Yes. And it bothers me less and less the more I do them.
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    <<<<Deadlift day! :bigsmile:

Today we used 1 set of chains for resistance training (clean grip) and it was a unique challenge to say the least. :wink:

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-training/deadlifting-chains-why-science-says-chains-work

135 x 5
    135 x 5
    125 x 4
    125 x 4
    125 x 4
    115 x 3

175 x 1 with mixed grip (no chains). I'm going to go take a nap now. :yawn:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me look bad. Last night I did:

10 @145 (warm up)
    5 x 8 @ 225

I suppose I need to add more weight but I'm still babying this tender rib on the left side.

Are you guys using straps because my grip gets pretty tired on the 5th set of 8 reps with just 225 lbs.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    <<<<Deadlift day! :bigsmile:

Today we used 1 set of chains for resistance training (clean grip) and it was a unique challenge to say the least. :wink:

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-training/deadlifting-chains-why-science-says-chains-work

135 x 5
    135 x 5
    125 x 4
    125 x 4
    125 x 4
    115 x 3

175 x 1 with mixed grip (no chains). I'm going to go take a nap now. :yawn:

Very jealous that you have chains at your gym! Do you ever use bands too? Good stuff!!
    You guys are making me look bad. Last night I did:

10 @145 (warm up)
    5 x 8 @ 225

I suppose I need to add more weight but I'm still babying this tender rib on the left side.

Are you guys using straps because my grip gets pretty tired on the 5th set of 8 reps with just 225 lbs

Hey nice job, we all have to start somewhere right? After my back injury I started DL'ing again with 205lbs I believe, not much weight at all.

Nah, I've not needed straps for any reason and I think if my grip really became an issue I would just do some grip strength work before I resorted to straps. That's just my preference though, no gloves, no straps. If I could remember I would get liquid chalk.
  • RunningDirty
    Options

Very jealous that you have chains at your gym! Do you ever use bands too? Good stuff!!

I've seen and YouTubed the band situation!

Like this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3y7K3NNxs

We have them, but haven't used them and I never know what we're doing until class starts and it's on the board. I don't know if it's the music or the dude in that video (maybe both combined!!!), but I'm now a little scared of the bands. :laugh:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I've seen and YouTubed the band situation!

Like this dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3y7K3NNxs

We have them, but haven't used them and I never know what we're doing until class starts and it's on the board. I don't know if it's the music or the dude in that video (maybe both combined!!!), but I'm now a little scared of the bands. :laugh:

Bands and chains are great but you have to understand how to use them in your programming.
    I'd definitely exhaust any linear gains before worrying about accommodating resistance.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    not really a fan to be honest
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    Everyone has their preferences, especially people who have been doing this for a long time.

I'm new and learning a little bit of everything right now and like changing it up to see how I improve (or fail). I trust my instructor. StrongLifts on my own for a while was a great starting point, but I hit a wall with it eventually so this is much better for me.

Potato: Potata! :)